S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

anyone developing a replacement supercharger kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didn;t INA engineering make a throttle body for the 3.0t? I saw it on their facebook page a while back.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011SVT
I wonder if there is any opportunity to:

a) 'Port' the existing 1650. Being a TVS I would expect some of the inefficiencies in the M90 would have been worked out with respect to airflow on both ends but it is worth asking.

b) Overdrive the 1650 internally mechanically (vs. smaller pullies) as has been done historically in the 03/04 Cobras. (Steigemeier's Snake Bite kit). Understand the efficiencies and IATs may make that impractical. (Bigger displacement being superior to faster rotor speed)

c) Look at the stock throttle body as a possible source of restriction.

a) We have the 1320, the 1600 is currently a dream as it has bever been provisioned by any manufecturer, so it doesn't exist except on paper and a few samples. Eaton will not release it for production until someone orders more than 1,000 units. That said, the Cobalt SS crowd loves and uses the 1320 and have gone nuts with lots of work on this SC. Those who had theirs pulled to port and polish saw maybe 1-3% increases at most. They said the thing was pretty well designed out of the chute and modifications didn't really net a lot of gain as a result.

b) A possibility, though not sure how much gains the small 1320 would garner

c) Seems pretty good as is, stock, the TB is a larger diameter already than the stock intake tube as it leaves the airbox - the diameter grows as it approaches the TB. As such, an aftermarket box and filter are better low hanging fruit to open up constrictions.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
a) We have the 1320, the 1600 is currently a dream as it has bever been provisioned by any manufecturer, so it doesn't exist except on paper and a few samples. Eaton will not release it for production until someone orders more than 1,000 units.
I thought the rumor was that Mercedes had ordered it for some vehicles. What is APR playing around with if it isn't the TVS1650?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
I wonder what someone like VF engineering could do, given this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1786HyfmYsc
westwest, Are you even tuned yet?

Originally Posted by 2011SVT
I wonder if there is any opportunity to:

a) 'Port' the existing 1650. Being a TVS I would expect some of the inefficiencies in the M90 would have been worked out with respect to airflow on both ends but it is worth asking.

b) Overdrive the 1650 internally mechanically (vs. smaller pullies) as has been done historically in the 03/04 Cobras. (Steigemeier's Snake Bite kit). Understand the efficiencies and IATs may make that impractical. (Bigger displacement being superior to faster rotor speed)

c) Look at the stock throttle body as a possible source of restriction.
A) We have the 1320 and porting would help but it has been looked at and the setup on our car with the bypass configuration will limit the effectiveness of a port... We would need a new inlet casting or machined part...

B)There is a little more room on our blower but not much... Going with too small of a pulley can cause slippage as I am sure you are aware... I won't lie if nothing comes out this year I may get a smaller blower pulley... (me ducks for cover) LOL

C)

Originally Posted by throwaway1
didn;t INA engineering make a throttle body for the 3.0t? I saw it on their facebook page a while back.
Yes, and I am the tester... We are working through some electronic issues via a pigtail... Will have results fairly soon via data logs and strip times...

Originally Posted by Stereodude
I thought the rumor was that Mercedes had ordered it for some vehicles. What is APR playing around with if it isn't the TVS1650?
Yes, Eaton has landed a customer but from what I hear doesn't have a PO in hand to produce yet but I haven't gotten any updates recently... I can't say if it's MB or not, sorry...
Old 02-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by primetime
I can't say if it's MB or not, sorry...
and that my friends is why you don't tell Richi secrets lol
Old 02-24-2012, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly don't know what or if APR has anything, or they are making their own solution, or sourcing something out to someone - it's all speculation based on what hints Arin and Stephen have dropped at this point. There is a possibility of some info coming out as the APR conference is happening right this moment, but I wouldn't expect anything honestly.

I'd heard someone ordered it, but as of present that is not confirmed (as Ron points out and he has an in with Eaton), so there are none out there. Looking at what we have is deceptive in size, when you actually see one pulled apart you realize exactly how small it all is.

Originally Posted by sakimano
and that my friends is why you don't tell Richi secrets lol
LOL!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by primetime
westwest, Are you even tuned yet?
My theory is if the stock car or the tuned car is running over normal temp range you're going to lose the horsepower gain you thought you had from heat sink, so I did not flash the ECU yet. I wanted to see what the car does at tracks by itself. Did Thunderhill and Laguna Seca but in cool weather. I want to see what she does at Buttonwillow and at Spring Mountain in Las Vegas (two desert tracks). So far through very abusive track sessions the engine temp has stayed right in the center (240F?).

I did destroy the front brakes at Laguna and will be replacing with AP Racing 6 pots in 380mm next month. Will post plenty of pics when they arrive.