S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anyone has an issue on your headlight - moisture?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 PM
rmf
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disassemble all, take all electronics out.. put 1 liter 100% ethanol alcohol inside the headlight, than use a very powerful air spray to push out the isopropil alcohol.. became new.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Came back from dealer - yep, 'normal' and not a warranty item. They said if it retained water and become a little water logged or didn't clear in 20 minutes, that's when they'll address. :-(
Old 11-26-2011, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by socfan12
Came back from dealer - yep, 'normal' and not a warranty item. They said if it retained water and become a little water logged or didn't clear in 20 minutes, that's when they'll address. :-(
For a 50K+ car, that's very is stupid and sad. Despite all of the advance technologies being being used on this car they could fix a freaking moister leak head light.....how embarrassing.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:22 PM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

It should eventually clear out, the question is how it got in there. Most people assume newer headlights are sealed, they aren't. If you take a headlight out, they almost always have two or so downward pointing tubes (maybe 1" long) venting them to adjust for air pressure and release minor condensation like this. These vents really shouldn't be in a place to allow moisture to get in, so it's likely a pressure wash or something is showing a weakness in the headlamp seal. It could clear up on its own and you may never see it again, or it could just get worse and worse.

I second making a big deal about it being a safety issue, although I can understand a dealer telling you to wait and see if it clears up, because it often does. If you have chronic moisture in the headlight, and the dealer knows it, then it's just irresponsible of them to not take care of it.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have this issue on my driver's side headlight. The condensation is not excessive, and it looks like it has dried out. However, you can see the slight spotty residue left by the condensation if you look closely, particularly if the car is clean. From several feet away, the LED driving lamps look "blurry" compared to the paseenger side, which apparently has never had any condensation. I've never used a pressure washer on my car, or taken it through any commercial-type wash either.

I'm at 4200 miles right now. When I take it in for the 5K service in the next month or so, I'll ask about this condensation issue, as well as the weatherstripping falling off the bottom of the doors, the squeaky/clicky clutch pedal, the apparent need for G12 top-off (just noticed over Thanksgiving that the level is about two inches below the "min" in the reservoie when the engine is cold -- no dash light, yet), and the very slight "beeping" or electronic sounds I hear when making hard turns or braking.