S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

is anyone having probs choosing s4 over m3/isf/c63/ctsv

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monocular3
None of those have AWD. Not sure if that is important where you are, but for some of us up north, AWD is a very nice feature for a daily drive car.

I think the new S4 is a great value as well. There is a lot of technology, power and fun in a car priced to compete with the 335. The only car to consider in the list in my opinion is the M3 and I doubt you will buy a 2009/10 within 10K of the S4. If you can buy a new M3 for the price of a new S4, that would be hard to pass up.
There are plenty of M3s available for the same pmts as the prestige S4...kinda ridiculous, but after a quick trip to the local bimmer dealer I was able to get my pick of several cars (both coupe and sedan) and the price after incentives was equal to or LOWER than the Prestige S4 I had test drove earlier that day.

So let me get this straight...Audi moves the S4 down market to compete with the volume seller 335 and now it finds itself competing price wise with the M3 w/o the specs to match? Ummmm...you don't need to go to Wharton to figure out how that turns out!

The S4 is definitely rarer, but I think it seems rarer than it really is because the S4 looks just like an s-line A4
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by monocular3
When I looked at the difference between a loaded S4 and a comparable M3, the M3 was 10K higher in the US. Coupled with the AWD and the B&O audio, it was a better choice for me. I do not have much opportunity to use more than 333 hp anyway. 0-60 in under 5 is all I need.

I test drove the 335, but it left me a little flat. I have had a couple s4's previously - a 2000 and 2004. I am glad that my new S4 is on the boat.
You need to do a little more than just look at the M3...with a little research and shopping around you'll find out about some serious incentives offered on the M3.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SullyS4
So let me get this straight...Audi moves the S4 down market to compete with the volume seller 335 and now it finds itself competing price wise with the M3 w/o the specs to match?
I'm guessing you're referring to the performance specs and not necessarily the "features" or technology of the car?

I just think that one who buys a car just because all the numbers are either high (HP, torque, etc.) or low (0-60, 1/4 mile, etc.) is missing the big picture of a particular car. Someone looking to put down 50-, 55-, or 60-thousand plus dollars on a car ought to get a car that they appreciate in it's entirety, and not just because of it's performance specifications.

That's why I ordered an S4.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chris
Someone looking to put down 50-, 55-, or 60-thousand plus dollars on a car ought to get a car that they appreciate in it's entirety, and not just because of it's performance specifications.
)
If that were entirely possible, I'd have a car with the motor from the C63, the handling from the M3, and the interior from the S4. Probably wrapped in an exterior something like the C63, or a slightly more aggressive B8 S4 (think B7 RS4). I'd also except an XF exterior styling.

Oh and I'd take the 6spd from either the S4 or M3.

My point being, it's a shame that no matter how fortunate you are and are able to choose between this group of vehicles, often times which ever you choose will be great, but with limitations.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm guessing you're referring to the performance specs and not necessarily the "features" or technology of the car?

I just think that one who buys a car just because all the numbers are either high (HP, torque, etc.) or low (0-60, 1/4 mile, etc.) is missing the big picture of a particular car. Someone looking to put down 50-, 55-, or 60-thousand plus dollars on a car ought to get a car that they appreciate in it's entirety, and not just because of it's performance specifications.

That is true that one should appreciate the car as a whole bu if you're talking about the M3 it has great specs but is also widely regarded as one of the best driving vehicles around. It's interior may suck compared to the S4 but when you're looking through the windshield gripping the wheel you can definitely feel a great driving vehicle.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=canucklehead;23871569] ... widely regarded as one of the best driving vehicles around. [QUOTE]

No doubt! I've only ever been in one, many years ago, and it was a nice car. Then again, that's my opinion. And opinions (like mine, and the one in the quote above), plus a few dollars, will get you a cup of coffee.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

True, everyone has their opinions which is why they make so many different cars. I'm sure you're going to enjoy your purchase though.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Exactly.

When you start to compare cars that are as fast as these it starts to be more about a pissing match over tenths of seconds. I chose the S4 for a few reasons even though I knew I could've gotten an M3 or a C63.

1. Stealthiness. To each his own I suppose but the looks of the C63 and M3 make me want them less not more. Both BMW and MB intentionally make the C and M cars stand out like crazy. They attract the type of people who want/need that attention. Definitely not up my alley. The dealership is even debadging the fenders for me. For me the S4 is the best looking of the 3.

2. Rarity. Many, many less of these cars on the road.

3. Interior. The S4 is undeniably nicer inside as well as having a better sound system and on board computer.

4. Everyday drivability. With quattro, fuel economy, and the massive low end torque the S4 is a much better everyday driver. The M3 and C63 were definitely fun to test drive there's no doubt about that but I looked at the big picture and chose the S4.

The only thing the other cars had going for them were the V8's and a few tenths of a second in performance. In 6 months I'll be able to get an ECU upgrade that will make the S4 faster than the other two for only $600 or so then that won't be an issue.

If you need to be flashy and you're worried about bragging rights for paper performance by all means get an M3 or a C63. If you want the best overall car the choice for me is obvious.

BTW - Just stop it with the CTS-V.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couldn't have said it better man!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

In this video you can see how the S4 goes againts it's v8 rivals. Except the V8 sound, it's has everything like the other cars in the video. Adding an upgrade from MTM or ABT would bring the S4 in front of IS-F, C63, RS4 or even M3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irFK8VJ_vDs

my 2 cents

Quick Reply: is anyone having probs choosing s4 over m3/isf/c63/ctsv