S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anyone used zag to get quote and choose dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used zag to get quote and choose dealer?

I searched, but didn't find anything. It seems that a lot of people are using zag to get pricing info but I haven't read of anyone actually getting quotes and going to one of the dealers that quotes the price. Is this true or did anyone go all the way through with zag? If so, how did it work out? If not, why not?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I want to do this too. Order a 2011 through Zag and go to whoever would give me the best price. Zag still shows 2010 only though, as Audiusa.com
Old 04-28-2010, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just depends on your area, a lot of places don't offer Zag
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by S4.2Avant
Just depends on your area, a lot of places don't offer Zag
So if you were in an area where zag was available, you would use it to at least get actual quotes from dealers?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Since my area doesn't offer it, I couldn't use it...but my assumption is that if you are in an area that does you build the car on their site and off you go!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I contacted a Zag dealer and got a price quote. They added on about $500 dealer fee on top of the 1000 over invoice that zag shows. They were willing to do that pricing on a 2011 order. No Local dealerships did Zag and this one was probably 1800 miles away. Used that quote and got my local dealer to match it so I don't have the additional travel expenses. If you haggle I'm sure that you can get rid of the BS 500 fee they tacked on... particularly in competitive markets or where the economy is slow.

2011 pricing not released yet but that doesn't really matter if you are going amount over invoice.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
I searched, but didn't find anything. It seems that a lot of people are using zag to get pricing info but I haven't read of anyone actually getting quotes and going to one of the dealers that quotes the price. Is this true or did anyone go all the way through with zag? If so, how did it work out? If not, why not?

Thanks.
I did a few weeks ago for a 2010. Got the ZAG prices and two local dealers called me, both willing to give that price. I would up getting the car for invoice (less than the ZAG price) after some back and forth.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr bryan
I contacted a Zag dealer and got a price quote. They added on about $500 dealer fee on top of the 1000 over invoice that zag shows. They were willing to do that pricing on a 2011 order. No Local dealerships did Zag and this one was probably 1800 miles away. Used that quote and got my local dealer to match it so I don't have the additional travel expenses. If you haggle I'm sure that you can get rid of the BS 500 fee they tacked on... particularly in competitive markets or where the economy is slow.

2011 pricing not released yet but that doesn't really matter if you are going amount over invoice.
Just a comment here (and maybe I'm wrong) but a $500 "dealer fee" seems like BS to me. I would go to another dealer and have them match your ZAG price, or just tell the current dealer that you're not going to pay an artificial fee that's just extra profit for them.

Oh wait, I see you mentioned the same thing later in your post.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

You guys are lucky, although I have already ordered my car and have an agreed upon price, I contacted my dealer today asking about Zag and my SA said that he researched Zag and to him it looked like a Costco type thing and this is generally used for high volume cars or situations where they have 20+ cars on the lot, not the S4's case. I wish I lived in a region where this was available...
Old 04-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4.2Avant
I wish I lived in a region where this was available...
I used Zag to order mine, I had to go about 250 miles out of area to get a dealer that would accept the price. Not a problem for me.

As best as I can tell from talking to the dealer that did accept the Zag price, and the dealers that wouldn't (despite being part of the Zag "network"), it is entirely a dealer decision. In other words, a dealer decides if they will participate, and they set a price above invoice for which they are willing to sell a car. For instance, no matter how I configured the S4, the price was invoice plus 1200. Other folks were getting it for invoice plus 300. This seems to explain the geographical variance that appears to exist: it's driven by whether there is a dealer in your area that has agreed to sell a car for "invoice + x." Dealer can also agree only to sell some cars at Zag price - for instance, all the NorCal dealers appear willing to sell an A4 or A3 at a fixed price, but far fewer (in fact only one) for an S4.

When you select the "show me my Zag dealer" button, what you see is a list of dealers - what's listed first are the dealers who are actually willing to sell you the car for that price, and a price is listed. The next dealers are the list have only a "get a quote" or similar button, and they have not agreed to the price - they're only going to offer what they offer.

Just my experience and guesswork based on fragmentary info.

Quick Reply: Anyone used zag to get quote and choose dealer?