S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

APR numbers are out

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish our b8 members and sak can promise each other that after a 1/4mile run, they would not talk about this anymore.

no rubbing it in the face, taunting.. no nothing. just 1/4mile or a race (i donno what sak wants) but after that we just say bye to each other

it would be grt if we didn't argue with sak until that day comes.. b/c let's face it, we're not gonna give up and he is not gonna give up

and i'm sure it's annoying some of the b8 members cuz it annoys the hell out of me

I know this won't really mean much coming from me (esp.sak) cuz honestly most of what i know about cars is what i read on this forum for the past 5 months

but really... I want a b8 owner's opinion about the tune/mod results (no I don't mean I want everything sugar-coated..) b/c nothing that comes out of other forum members will mean nothing to me cuz they r not in the same shoes that we are.

shoot... I tried to sound like I'm sick of both b7 and b8 members (till now) but no.. WHY THE FU#K are you being a hater sak?

who CARES what you think or what we think of our cars?

why the hell do you come on our forums and put up some comments that just makes you look sad? why do you hate on another audi? don't say u 'defend' on b8s cuz that just makes you look like you love to disagree (defending there and disagreeing here)

**** i realize i'm just typing a bunch of words here since i'm lacking sleep right now, but just give it a rest. this is bad for both of us, we are wasting each other's time!

I never talk in this manner to other members cuz I believe in respect (I KNOW, CRAZY RIGHT? WHY RESPECT SOMEONE YOU WILL NEVER MEET? WHY NOT JUST TALK LIKE A DOUCHE?). Also b/c as I stated b4, I do not have much knowledge when it comes to cars

but I feel that it's needed that you know what you are doing. I don't even laugh or find this entertaining (ok.. i'll enjoy it a little when we proove our cars are better than ur silver thing).

again... I'm not very constructive right now, but I hope you realize that if we're not able to convince you of which car is faster (I can easily see you not backing down and BSing even after the facts arrive), then you are not going to be able to convince us neither.

so just be gone and enjoy UR car

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------edit
I'm not just coming out to say 'we are right, you are wrong' cuz frankly i donno much about 1/4 mile and all that ****, just saying that you should get the FXUK out this forum

Last edited by Un1k; 08-19-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
With a chip, exhaust and intake?!!! There we go...that's some of the madness I was expecting.

Just for a little perspective, we've been looking at a JHM supercharger for the B6/7 S4 and reckoning on needing around 450whp to hit the 11s.

Not 450crank....450whp. That move from 13.0 to 11.99 takes a lot more than a 40whp (on a mustang dyno) chip/exhaust combo.
yeah. actually after studying the charts (I've posted a lot on the AZ thread)... I'll have to retract my statement here. I no longer think you'll get into the 11s.. your car is a pig. ;-)
Old 08-19-2010, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Barry in Utah
An earlier post (NWS4Guy on 7-27-10)contained this link to an article on the DSG which stated maximum rated input torque at 600 nM (442 ft-lbs.) and power at 330 kW (442 hp).

http://www.dctfacts.com/in-the-marke...emium-DCT.aspx

If APR's corrected numbers are close to correct the torque and power of the chipped (93 octane + catback exhaust)3.0T will significantly exceed the DSG transmission's input ratings.
That is more like if you are consistently running on a 93 octane map for daily driving, than yes. You will be putting a huge stress on the DSG and even on the Engine. But the main question to ask is. Why would you even think about consistently doing that as a daily driving method?

Keep the car in either the 91 Map or keep it completely stock. Only time you are ever going to even need to switch into a map is if you are on the tracks.

A day at the track here and there will not be as bad for your car than running it on 93 everyday.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Proogz
That is more like if you are consistently running on a 93 octane map for daily driving, than yes. You will be putting a huge stress on the DSG and even on the Engine. But the main question to ask is. Why would you even think about consistently doing that as a daily driving method?

Keep the car in either the 91 Map or keep it completely stock. Only time you are ever going to even need to switch into a map is if you are on the tracks.

A day at the track here and there will not be as bad for your car than running it on 93 everyday.
I would have to say that if I did chip my S4 I would want to run it with the 93 map most of the time as I only put 94 in the gas tank.

I think it would defeat the purpose in having a 93 map if you are only going to use it on the track, as most tracks have 100 octane available so why not run the 100 map if one is available?

Further, I was under the impression that before APR would release any chip tune they would, and to my knowledge, have done extensive testing to insure that the engine/transmission can handle the additional load?

Last point, it seems that most concerns relating to the graph, other then the 23% drivetrain loss, relates to the lack of increased low/mid range tq with this tune as most say they want the additional real world power which to me suggests that their intent is to run the 93 map most often as well.

I welcome additional thoughts?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 81bear
Last point, it seems that most concerns relating to the graph, other then the 23% drivetrain loss, relates to the lack of increased low/mid range tq with this tune as most say they want the additional real world power which to me suggests that their intent is to run the 93 map most often as well.

I welcome additional thoughts?
Once I can get the 100 octane tune that is all I will be using.... That is all I run on the B5.... later Ron
Old 08-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Sak - Yes sorry CHP, they allude to this, but never state it. Depending on who shows what and how they rate it, the numbers can obviously be massaged, my statement still holds merit - I did a poll here today incidentally, where a large portion were saying they would rather have a warranty over anything else when it comes to the pending ECU tunes coming out.

As for 23% I think that is high as well, but you have all the raw data, use a different number if it makes you feel better, the delta is what matters here, showing the amount of gain and where it occurs in the RMP band.
yeah, I personally don't care about the crank numbers. B8 S4 owners do, because that's basically a number you use at a cocktail party to describe your car. It won't win any races on a forum discussion though, so the WHP and WTQ numbers are what we'll keep our eyes on. APR cares because that number will sell kits. It's funny...they lambasted MTM for shoddy presentation of gains and CHP numbers, yet they're doing similar things here.
Keith, in our epic thread on the original APR dyno on AZ, admitted their dyno produces WHP numbers that are indicative of more like 16% loss...not 23, 25 or 28 as have been thrown about by B5/6/7 guys.

AS I said to this group on another forum 6 months ago, I reckon hardly any of you will even chip your cars. B8 S4 owners are predominantly people who don't want to see three years of warranty evaporate on a $50,000 car. You're also the first owners, so it won't likely be you guys who make your cars run the fastest...it will be the 2nd, 3rd and 4th owners.

Anyway, is anyone going to get the APR chip the day it's available, as so many of you said you would over the past 18 months? Will be interesting.

Last edited by sakimano; 08-19-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sakimano
Anyway, is anyone going to get the APR chip the day it's available, as so many of you said you would over the past 18 months? Will be interesting.
Yes... I will be running asap.... Now about that 12.7 1/4 mile time... No comment on that one?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rktskicar
Sak-

Everything I have seen from other measuring methods (VAG (VCDS), Gtech RR, Pbox) puts stock WHP around 300 WHP. If APR's tune makes 65 WHP, this is around 365 WHP with chip, not 325 WHP. As B8 S4 has AWD, will come out of the hole faster than a C63.

Bruce
sorry what? You're measuring a VAGCOM guess of 300whp vs. APR's chipped dyno of 360whp in order to determine the chip delta? And you're forgetting there's an exhaust in there?

I'm afraid that's irrelevant here for measuring 'delta'. APR dyno'd 322 with stock tune + exhaust, and 360 with APR tune...same day etc. That's 38 whp (on THEIR dyno)...not 60. That's your delta.

traditional dynos (the ones done by Stratmosphere, Lou and I think NWS4guy in 09) showed 275-290whp...i.e. 285whp avg on traditional dynojet or mustang dynos. That vs. APR's stock baseline of 316 back then and today is around 90%. I just took 90% of APR's current WHP chipped 360 number to show 325 whp, if measured on a Mustang or dynojet. This is very logical, isn't it? I'm using that for perspective for guessing performance only. That's all any of us are really doing.

Let me put this another way:

the B8 weighs 4000lbs and dyno'd around 285whp and similar torque stock with an awesome a.u.t.c. It ran 13.0 quartermiles (12.9 - 13.4, but just say 13.0) at around 106-109mph. That's the exact same time/mph range a JHM chipped/headers/catback B6/7 S4 runs. Guess what the B6/7 dynos on a mustang? Around 290/280. So no shock there....performance from the B8 matches the normal dyno #s from the B6/7...and the superior curve/transmission of the supercharged car can overcome the 100lb weight difference pretty easily.

p.s. noticed you also thought their 23% numbers were odd over on QW...and you agree with my whole thesis about APR's dyno numbers being un-usable with respect to comparing to other dynos/devices.
Originally Posted by you
23% from what? your dyno numbers are around 10% higher than any Mustang Dyno numbers I have seen

Last edited by sakimano; 08-19-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
I'm not a gambling man, but I'll bet on a B8 S4 with this chip vs your "JHM full bolt on B6" any day of the week. I'm happy you think they're that close. Would love to do some wagering with you... please, put your money where you mouth is.
again..I said it will probably be a hair faster. Don't forget 12.6 @ 113mph is damn fast. We're talking about a chip here, right?
At what point are you possibly going to concede that a B8 is going to be faster than a super modified B6? That's all I'm wondering.
How about when it's actually faster? Sorry while fast in stock form, no B8 S4 is faster than any of the most modified B6/7 cars yet. That's no surprise...we have a big head start. Not sure what you want me to concede? "Super Modified"? The full bolt on B6/7 guys are E92 M3 fast...they walk the **** out of stock RS4s...they hang with APR/AWE stage III B5 S4s in highway pulls. Not sure why you think they're slow cars? As I said, you're clueless on B6/7 S4 performance, as are most of the guys on forums who don't own one. I know you owned one, but you had a ****ing GIAC chip and APR exhaust. Sorry dude...but that **** doesn't work on the B6/7.

You want the B8 to get some kind of trophy before winning a race, because you're a retard who doesn't understand the performance gains needed to move a car 1.0 seconds faster down a 1320 foot track than stock? (your 12.2 guess). I've got news for you...it's not 38whp on APR's dyno! Think more like 60-70 or even 100whp. when the B8 is making around 400whp, it'll hit your 12.2 number. Not before it.

Sak, you're such a damn hater... why do you troll the B8 S4 boards? You don't own one.. you never will... you just sound like a douche.
why will I never own one? You owned a 4.2, now you own a 3.0T. what's the big deal here? Not sure why you're so hostile...I mean you're way too dumb to be this aggressive. Sharpen your pencil and engage me with some facts. Until then you're a big bluffer.
I will do my best to install this chip ASAP and if weather permits, run some 1/4 mile times. Of course it won't shut you up since you'll factor in all sorts of nonsense BS....
can't wait.

Listen.. my other ride is a 997 Turbo... I've owned two 4.2 "S" model Audi's, a C6 S6 and a B6 S4, and there is no way I could sit here and tell you that a B6 "tuned" S4 can hang with even a stock B8 S4.
who said a B6/7 with a tune would hang with a B8? Nobody. I said full bolt ons and it's faster than the B8. Headers and exhaust and JHM tune, and it's dead equal. Go get me your fastest B8 quarter mile times and we'll compare them. The strip doesn't lie...and it's informed data. Unlike your guesses.

yeah, maybe if you did the right pull in the right gear at the right temp, but the other 95% of the time the B8 is going to walk it. Case closed. With this chip... and remind you, this is stage 1, a B6/7 is toast.
With this chip on a stock B8 S4, the car will be really fast. Admittedly. I think it will be faster than or at the very very least equal to the fastest full bolt on (ALL parts) B6/7 cars.

I've never disputed that. Read my first post in this thread...you're the one who is making **** up for some reason.

There's a supercharger from JHM that makes more whp than any K04 B5 S4 ever has. The B6/7 is certainly not 'toast'...it's just warming up. Trust me, it will be a long time before the B8 is faster than the B5/6/7. I won't say never, but it will be a damn long time. Just the same as B5 vs. B6/7.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by primetime
Seriously? I have posted timeslips of my car running 12.85 at 108.44mph with a 1.85 60... This was done full weight, 770 miles on the car, 3/8 tank of gas, and a strat intake. The DA was nearly 2000. So your telling me that an exhaust and the results of this tune will have me running a 12.7 or a 12.6 at best? I'll wager that I can run a 12.7x with just exhaust and intake.... This car will be low 12 to mid 12's with tune....
hey, congrats. That's a fast time. There's a guy with a B6 who ran 12.89 with just a tune piggies and catback. Some guys/cars are just plain fast.

So...you think you'll run 12.2 (you said that earlier) with a tune, catback and intake? Can't wait to see it. That's pretty ambitious though. It took 400whp to make a 3850lb B6 S4 run that fast. It trapped 117mph.

I think some of you are forgetting that the tune adds about 30-35whp...and it adds basically zero torque and zero hp before 5500rpm. So you'll have another 35whp or so to move the car in gears 2-4. You really think that's going to get you down the track 8 car lengths faster than a stock B8 S4? Because that's what's needed to shave 0.8 seconds. 8 car lengths.

Quick Reply: APR numbers are out