S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: Would you want a high MPG/efficiency setting for your APR tune?
Yes...this would add a dimension to the tune that at times I would enjoy.
64.29%
No...I don't care about having a high MPG/efficiency setting on my APR tune
35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

APR Switching Suggestion...what do you guys think???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Switching Suggestion...what do you guys think???

Hey Guys...this is NOT your typical B8 S4 programming thread...

I was wondering if the forum members might consider a 'efficiency mode' for the B8 S4 APR tune?? I have the 91 tune and I LOVE it!

But for times when I want to drive for best MPG's I think it would be pretty cool if there was a way to increase the efficiency of the 3.0 TFSI engine...bleed the boost off the engine early maybe...say if the RPM's are below 3,000-3,200 RPMs the engine would feel like a typical, non boosted 3.0...but above this RPM level the tune could gradually kick in and give you the power of the 91 or 93 tune at max HP rpm's. This suggestion would feel less immediate in the lower rpm range...but in the upper 1/2 it would feel close to stock or better.

My idea would be to basically have a tune do the opposite of what APR has done above 5,000 rpm's where they keep the boost on the blower until near redline.

Or maybe there is another/better way to do it.

Said another way...this would lower the HP/Fuel/Boost in the lower RPM range for cruising on the highway, tooling around town when you want to drive for best MPG's....then have it kick in normally/gradually up to redline.

An efficiency mode might capture you a wider group of clients...with rising gas prices and people thinking 'green' more and more this might be something worth considering if it hasn't already while still allowing the car to be the beast it is when you want to 'go for it.'

Having this feature switchable would absolutely complete the the tune and take the B8 S4 to a level of sophistication and a dimension that I would guess most people might enjoy.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is already there if you get a multi-program APR ECU. It is called "valet mode". In my last S4 my car had that valet mode and it is basically a no boost tune. I logged it with my VAG.

Bruce
Old 05-04-2011, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
It is already there if you get a multi-program APR ECU. It is called "valet mode". In my last S4 my car had that valet mode and it is basically a no boost tune. I logged it with my VAG.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce...I guess that is what I was looking for. I'm getting flamed pretty hard over on audizine for posting this thread...

MPG's certainly have not improved since I got the tune vs when I didn't have it. I keep meticulous records on this and have a few thousands of miles to make this judgement. Valet mode sounds like what I'm suggesting. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I went over there and posted the same thing. I had an APR, GIAC, GIAC 3-, and ASP 3 ECU on my last S4 (B5). All were multi-program. The logs I ran were on my ASP ECU (25 lbs boost normally). I expect the APR valet mode to be similar...

Bruce
Old 05-04-2011, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by redrocker55
Thanks Bruce...I guess that is what I was looking for. I'm getting flamed pretty hard over on audizine for posting this thread...

MPG's certainly have not improved since I got the tune vs when I didn't have it. I keep meticulous records on this and have a few thousands of miles to make this judgement. Valet mode sounds like what I'm suggesting. Thanks for the feedback!
I don't think people are flaming too bad.... Comfort mode seems to add a bit on the MPG scale... so that coupled with perhaps an APR Valet mode might give you what you need.... unfortunately we're still not able to "flip" between programs, and I'd hate to be stuck in Valet mode all the time!

But in all honesty, perhaps a A4 S-line would have been better route? Or how about the new Cayenne hybrid which has our 3.0 engine with electric motor added. (something that will probably be seen in Audi's very soon)

The reason I mentioned Vtec is that this is the whole idea that Honda had back in the day... mild mannered down low and then the cam switches over for aggressive fun up high when you're "racing". You get your Honda green mileage with a little fun on their "R" cars.

Last edited by DrVolkl; 05-04-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
I don't think people are flaming too bad.... Comfort mode seems to add a bit on the MPG scale... so that coupled with perhaps an APR Valet mode might give you what you need.... unfortunately we're still not able to "flip" between programs, and I'd hate to be stuck in Valet mode all the time!

But in all honesty, perhaps a A4 S-line would have been better route? Or how about the new Cayenne hybrid which has our 3.0 engine with electric motor added. (something that will probably be seen in Audi's very soon)

The reason I mentioned Vtec is that this is the whole idea that Honda had back in the day... mild mannered down low and then the cam switches over for aggressive fun up high when you're "racing". You get your Honda green mileage with a little fun on their "R" cars.
Dr V...Program switching will be nice...if we ever get it. I would hate the A4 S-Line. I think people are completely missing the point of why I started this thread. I LOVE the performance of the S4 but wasn't completely satisfied...that's why I decided to make it go faster by purchasing the APR tune. The A4 and the 2.0 would not do it for me...especially knowing that the S4 existed and would be an option.

I understand what you are saying about V-tec. That's fine for Honda. I'm not going to be buying a Honda though. I appreciate you bringing that up because it kinda describes what I said over at A-zine...transmission kick-down over 3,000 rpm and bam...you have normal S4 performance (or better). Something like a comfort mode+ (being slightly more comfortable ).

All I'm suggesting by this thread is the simple fact that it would be cool if APR would add a more efficient setting to the tune (again, if they ever bring it out). They might do that with Valet mode if they do not put a limit on the to speed like Bruce had on one of his older tunes.

This engine is capable of so much...that is what is so exciting to me about the S4. I would like to see APR, the only company really capable of this right now, offer several tunes beyond the 91, 93, 100, etc.

Thank you for your ideas.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

In my old car i had 2 fuel maps programmed in the ECU which can be switched easily with a toggle switch:

Map 1: 91 octane @ 22PSI boost
Map 2: E85 fuel @ 28 PSI boost.

Need something like this for my S4 now :P