S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Attention DSG owners... Who's interested?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocker55
I would hope this thread does not get deleted.

The spirit of this thread seems different to me than others that were removed...

This seems more of a 'skunk-work' operation (which does NOT mean it won't be an amazing product with fantastic quality)...I'm just saying this is being done by a couple guys who are finding a cool way to mod their car and they are sharing this with the group...to me THAT is part of the spirit of this forum.

Moderators...please leave this thread in tact. Thank you.
Thanks for the support... Well the forums are around because of $'s they get from the sponsors and if someone "steals" IE offers a similar product at a much lower cost than the sponsor gets pissed... Potentially quits advertising on the forum and then there is no forum...

I am doing this because the car should have come with full length paddles and it is purely RAPE to pay $675 for 2 pieceses of CF with double sided tape... If they were priced fairly I would just buy a set of those... I figured since my brother was making me a set why not make a few extra and if people like them so be it... If not that's fine as well... I don't plan on making this a business so that is why I thought it may be ok...

We had a similar situation back in late 1999 early 2000 when I put the blower on my Mustang and wanted to delete the EGR system... Well only one company was making an EGR delete kit and charging like $125, for basically two bolts and a small ****ty looking steel block plate... So my brother made a couple dozen nice looking aluminum ones with countersunk bolts... We sold them for $20 and sold a lot of them... Eventually, several others came out with similar style and pricing so we quit making them... In my mind we got the attention of the market and helped bring a more cost effective product out... The Audi community is even worse because more of the folks on here can afford higher $ items so the vendors take advantage of that and make huge margins... I realize it is simple supply and demand but with only one supplier in this case they can get away with $675 paddles... So in the end will make them and see how it goes...
Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 550 Likes on 370 Posts

After seeing a prototype, I would likely be interested as well.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested as well, but would like to see the prototype.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am also interested in seeing the prototype and would order based on how it turns out. Thanks prime.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Same here. I'd love to see how they'd look too. But definitely am interested. How strong is the adhesive? As long as there isn't much "wiggle" and it fits the contour on the back end, I don't mind (I intend to incorporate paddle downshifting on track days soon (hence a little scrutiny). Though since it will meet Ron's scrutiny, I'm quite sure it'll be fine.

Put me down on the "cool list"...

Last edited by PsYkHoTiK; 06-07-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you think about the adhesive, OEM and aftermarket use the 3M double sided trim tape to install front and rear spoilers, etc. that see massive heat and weathering. I'm sure this application would be just fine using that type of adhesive.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thoughts?

Few things for sure... The center holes are needed/used for holding them in the fixture to machine... Need to stop the finger slot on the front so we can use two piesces of sticky tape vs one, thus the tape will sit flush vs one being in the groove... Also, need to add a contour that follows the stock shift paddles so the tape adhears better... They hold good now but they are not up to my brothers nor my standard... I had them on all the way from the shop to my house and they held fine... The plan is to work on them all this week in the eveinings as I am off all week...

Here is what I need to know...

Which do you like? We can go both ways if needed... I like the contoured ones(right side) but think one hole would be nice...

On the front of the paddle do you want the slot to end apruptly or have an shape to the end like the start?

Do you want colors?

What are we missing?

Comments/thoughts/questions/criticism/etc. Price will be very reasonable!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

The one on the right. Maybe without the channel? I want some.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by forza1976
The one on the right. Maybe without the channel? I want some.
No channel? It is on front and back for symmetry but we could kill the one on the front it is just an operation in the program, I guess we could make them either way... what about a hole above the stock paddle? yeah or nay? Email me at mustanggtron@yahoo.com I'll have some by next weekend if all goes well... price will be very fair... Thanks man!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Email sent

Quick Reply: Attention DSG owners... Who's interested?