S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi clutches and their fault

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
Putting it in neutral actually uses more gas than just leaving it in gear, assuming that you are in a higher gear. Just take your foot of the gas and let it coast and you will use no gas. Check it out by using the instant fuel economy gauge.
Can you explain this? I let off the gas in both conditions, so the amount of fuel being sent into the engine should be the same... I get an blank reading in the "instant fuel economy" under both conditions.... what's the science here? Now I could see that keeping it gear could reduce speed and save on brakes due to engine braking, but how exactly do you use less fuel?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by orderedanalog
Can you explain this? I let off the gas in both conditions, so the amount of fuel being sent into the engine should be the same... I get an blank reading in the "instant fuel economy" under both conditions.... what's the science here? Now I could see that keeping it gear could reduce speed and save on brakes due to engine braking, but how exactly do you use less fuel?
If you leave it in gear, the injectors will shut off completely because NO fuel is needed to keep the engine spinning. If you push the clutch in, the engine has to be fed some fuel to keep it idling. So keeping it in gear when coasting saves fuel and brakes.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BaLLZDeePNYC
to the guy who said the DSG does it too..thats wacky lol
Well I imagine the tachometer on these cars is a digital device controlled by the ECU. I suspect Audi tried to get cute and put some logic in their software to anticipate where the needle should be in response to inputs rather than simply displaying a real reading from the engine. There seem to be some bugs in the logic. On the DSG cars, if you floor it and cause the transmission to skip several gears on a downshift, sometimes the tach needle gets confused and bounces around like it's having a seizure. It clearly isn't reflecting the actual engine RPM in those cases.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggplant Wizard
DSG does it too. Tach wiggles when already in gear. Think the tach is just goofy.
This might be due to the very quiet timing of the engine - when using a Gtech, it cannot pick up the RPMs from the cigarette lighter like it can in most cars - timing is very insulated.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by orderedanalog
if ur coasting IN GEAR with foot off the gas pedal, fuel is not injected into the engine to keep it from stalling because the wheels will turn the engine.

if ur coasting OUT OF GEAR with foot off the gas pedal, fuel is INJECTED to keep the engine running because the wheels are no longer turning the engine.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hmm cant seem to be able to find the edit post button, so i'll add this here.

i forgot to mention that in senario 1, the cluth has to be out, cause if u push the clutch IN with the gear stick IN gear, ur estentially OUT OF GEAR.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your answers guys! I never knew that, it makes sense now that you've all explained it. Guess that's a bad habit...Feel kinda stupid here.

Well, I'm not buying this car for MPG anyways. I figure I take a 3-5 mpg hit down from my A3 which I average 23-24 in on a daily basis, but that's not a bad decrease considering the extra 125 hp I'm getting!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

dude, I think you just have a f**ed clutch. mine is fine, been driving MT's now for 39 years. Driven many clutches, this B8 S4 clutch is fine.

Bruce
Old 03-03-2011, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

No my clutch is new its just not as comfortable as others. its almost like BMWs and the Clutch delay valves they put on there cars. You would never know i hate my clutch lol cause i drive it smooth just takes more finessing on these cars than older clutches. I wonder does our car have a CDV?

And my clutch was bad before trust me it was all screwed they replaced whole clutch and flywheel under 3k miles im up to 4300k now and its much much better but still not the best clutch on the road.

Also I think clutches coupled with AWD in general take more finessing due to the more complicated drivetrain. they just feel different than lets say my 2004 350z clutch
Old 03-03-2011, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
dude, I think you just have a f**ed clutch. mine is fine, been driving MT's now for 39 years. Driven many clutches, this B8 S4 clutch is fine.

Bruce
I agree with Bruce. I think the B8 S4 clutch is perfectly fine for daily driving. I just feel that the clutch may not be up to par for more aggressive driving (like on the track, the clutch could slip a little).

Originally Posted by BaLLZDeePNYC
And my clutch was bad before trust me it was all screwed they replaced whole clutch and flywheel under 3k miles im up to 4300k now and its much much better but still not the best clutch on the road.
That's a lot of freaking miles!!!

Quick Reply: Audi clutches and their fault