S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi Drive Select v. Audi Adaptive Damping

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audi Drive Select v. Audi Adaptive Damping

The 2013 order guide lists ADS and AAD separately:

Driver Assist package [PDD]
Audi adaptive cruise control
Audi drive select controls
Audi dynamic steering

Audi quattro with sports differential [PDU]
Audi drive select controls Sports differential, rear (torque-vectoring)

Audi adaptive damping suspension (requires PDU or PDD) [1BL]

Question: How does the ADS in Auto mode differ from adaptive damping?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You question is a little confusing. What are you trying to compare? 2013 PDU + 1BL vs. 2013 PDD + 1BL or 2013 PDD vs 2013 PDU + 1BL?

Last edited by Stereodude; 06-28-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You are confusing things. But not your fault. Audi of America is a bit silly in its nomenclature and changed things from one year to the next. So here is how it goes for the ROW cars and I assume the 2013 american cars.

1. Audi Drive Select: All this is the settings in the car computer. Assuming you ONLY have this then you can adjust throttle response and steering stiffness. (I am not sure you can get this alone in the US) This is the basic thing, that is required for all of the following options:

2. Sport Diff. I assume you know what this is. This adds the sport diff settings to Audi Drive Select. (And the diff obviously)

3. Adaptive Damping. These are adaptive dampers. The valving changes in them according to your settings for different damping characteristics. When you select this option, you also get the damping options in Audi Drive Select.

4. Dynamic Steering: Bull**** that changes ratios of steering. Also adds settings to Audi Drive Select.

It used to be in the US that 3 and 4 had to be ordered together as one option confusingly called "Audi Drive Select." Now it isn.t
Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also if you want all the goodies you need to order PDU + PDD + 1BL. The Driver Assist package doesn't come with the sports diff. in 2013.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by throwaway1
You are confusing things. But not your fault. Audi of America is a bit silly in its nomenclature and changed things from one year to the next. So here is how it goes for the ROW cars and I assume the 2013 american cars.

1. Audi Drive Select: All this is the settings in the car computer. Assuming you ONLY have this then you can adjust throttle response and steering stiffness. (I am not sure you can get this alone in the US) This is the basic thing, that is required for all of the following options:

2. Sport Diff. I assume you know what this is. This adds the sport diff settings to Audi Drive Select. (And the diff obviously)

3. Adaptive Damping. These are adaptive dampers. The valving changes in them according to your settings for different damping characteristics. When you select this option, you also get the damping options in Audi Drive Select.

4. Dynamic Steering: Bull**** that changes ratios of steering. Also adds settings to Audi Drive Select.

It used to be in the US that 3 and 4 had to be ordered together as one option confusingly called "Audi Drive Select." Now it isn.t
I think your explanation clear it up for me. For 2013 Audi Drive Select by itself has no effect on damping, whereas in previous models Audi Drive Select included Adaptive Damping. Do I have that right? I think that's where my confusion was. Thanks much.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
I think your explanation clear it up for me. For 2013 Audi Drive Select by itself has no effect on damping, whereas in previous models Audi Drive Select included Adaptive Damping. Do I have that right? I think that's where my confusion was. Thanks much.
Please reference the option codes. If you're referring to 2013's PDD as Audi Drive Select, then yes you're correct. Keep in mind that the PDD option does not include the sports differential for 2013 but the 2012 PDR option did.