S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi Newb- Just Ordered my First Audi--2014 S4

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Audi Newb- Just Ordered my First Audi--2014 S4

Hi All,

So after owning a 2007 Z4, a 2009 335, and a 2011 Z4 I have grown tired of BMW's-- particularly their declining internal quality brought on by the use of more and more cheap hard plastic.

So after much research (and forum stalking) I took the plunge and ordered a 2014 S4 on Friday. Here's what I got:

2014 S4 Premium +
Manual transmission
Estoril crystal blue
Black with silver alcantara interior
MMI Navigation
Bang and Olufson Stereo Upgrade
19" tires with 5 spoke wheels
Alu-Optic accessory package
Black wood with aluminum inlays

$54,000 + an additional $1000 conquest money IF it is available at the time of delivery.

One question I have is about the sports differential. It seems like most people on this forum include it, but the salesman actually talked me out of it saying it was only useful if I raced and/or drove the hell out of the car. Thoughts?

Looking forward to my new baby in August hopefully!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ycore
Hi All,

So after owning a 2007 Z4, a 2009 335, and a 2011 Z4 I have grown tired of BMW's-- particularly their declining internal quality brought on by the use of more and more cheap hard plastic.

So after much research (and forum stalking) I took the plunge and ordered a 2014 S4 on Friday. Here's what I got:

2014 S4 Premium +
Manual transmission
Estoril crystal blue
Black with silver alcantara interior
MMI Navigation
Bang and Olufson Stereo Upgrade
19" tires with 5 spoke wheels
Alu-Optic accessory package
Black wood with aluminum inlays

$54,000 + an additional $1000 conquest money IF it is available at the time of delivery.

One question I have is about the sports differential. It seems like most people on this forum include it, but the salesman actually talked me out of it saying it was only useful if I raced and/or drove the hell out of the car. Thoughts?

Looking forward to my new baby in August hopefully!
Hey,

I think you made the right choice switching over to Audi. I've just picked up my new S4 a week ago and I totally love it.

If your sales guy was serious with his comment about the Sports Differential...well I guess he's never driven one before.

In my search for a new S4 it was number one priority along the MMI and manual transmission.

Be aware that you'll be cleaning your car twice a week with your color choice. It is a beautiful color but needs a lot of care.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shivamerlin
Hey,

I think you made the right choice switching over to Audi. I've just picked up my new S4 a week ago and I totally love it.

If your sales guy was serious with his comment about the Sports Differential...well I guess he's never driven one before.

In my search for a new S4 it was number one priority along the MMI and manual transmission.

Be aware that you'll be cleaning your car twice a week with your color choice. It is a beautiful color but needs a lot of care.
Hey thanks for the feedback. I actually had to pick the color off a sample as they did not have a model in stock painted estoril blue. I didn't realize it required that much upkeep though, as my old 335 was metallic blue and it wasn't that bad, at least not compared to my Z4's which were both black.

As for the rear differential, I will call the salesman to discuss more as my order is supposedly being entered today. He claimed it only made a difference on fast turns which to me didn't sound like it was worth 1k. However now under more investigation the Audi driver select seems to only come if you get the differential, and that I do want and thought was standard equipment..
Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

You definitely want the sport diff. In fact you should go punch your salesman in the face for being such an idiot. The sport diff effect is noticeable in moderate to hard cornering and is one of the most hugely enjoyable features of the car. Every time I'm feeling blue, I'm one corner away from a big smile.

The other thing as you've already noticed is that you get ADS with the sport diff which I think is one of the most brilliant features in the car. You can make it a super aggressive fire breathing monster, a car that comfortable to commute in, or a car you can drive your mother around in. Most especially if you also get the adaptive suspension.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
The other thing as you've already noticed is that you get ADS with the sport diff which I think is one of the most brilliant features in the car. You can make it a super aggressive fire breathing monster, a car that comfortable to commute in, or a car you can drive your mother around in. Most especially if you also get the adaptive suspension.

+1 ALWAYS switch it in Dynamic when you have a passenger in the car that you want to impress.

Back to Auto/Comfort during the commute and wish to save a bit on fuel consumption
Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, I'm a bit confused as "Audi Driver Select Controls" is listed as a standard feature but you're saying you only get it with the Sport Differential?

I DEFINITELY want the ability to control suspension firmness and the sales guy made it sound like it comes standard and I confirmed Driver's Select is listed as standard feature of Premium + models. However even if this is the case what then would the dampening suspension feature offer?

So confusing.. I called my sales guy and he is looking into it for me..
Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ycore
Ok, I'm a bit confused as "Audi Driver Select Controls" is listed as a standard feature but you're saying you only get it with the Sport Differential?

I DEFINITELY want the ability to control suspension firmness and the sales guy made it sound like it comes standard and I confirmed Driver's Select is listed as standard feature of Premium + models. However even if this is the case what then would the dampening suspension feature offer?

So confusing.. I called my sales guy and he is looking into it for me..
The adjustable suspension is a stand alone option, so if you don't order it there will be no ability to adjust the ride of the car.

For 2014, Drive Select is standard equipment, so the price of the Sport Diff and the Adaptive Suspension options dropped. In 2013, if you wanted the Adaptive Suspension, you had to order the Sport Differential (which included Drive Select).

In 2014, you can order the Adaptive Suspension and not order the Sport Diff. (Which is what I will be doing, shame on me).
Old 06-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The option code for the Adaptive Suspension is 1BL. Have your salesman add that to your order, it's $1000.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redcupr
The adjustable suspension is a stand alone option, so if you don't order it there will be no ability to adjust the ride of the car.

For 2014, Drive Select is standard equipment, so the price of the Sport Diff and the Adaptive Suspension options dropped. In 2013, if you wanted the Adaptive Suspension, you had to order the Sport Differential (which included Drive Select).

In 2014, you can order the Adaptive Suspension and not order the Sport Diff. (Which is what I will be doing, shame on me).
Keep in mind you are still able to change your order until it goes into production in Germany. You still have a chance to add the sports differential and I truly hope that you will...
Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ordered my second B8 S4 on 6/13. In 2010, Sales rep tried to tell me that I did not NEED the Sport dif. He was right. But I ordered it anyway and I'm glad I did. It is THE option that makes the S4 special. DON'T ORDER YOURS WITHOUT IT!
FYI, my current S4 has CF trim. I painted the trim around the gauges satin black because I could not stand the cheap looking silver trim piece that doesn't match anything else in the interior. I was hoping to get the SS trim offered in the 2013 model just to get the black instrument panel trim that came with that trim. SS not available in 2014. But layered alum/wood trim is and comes with black trim piece. But, I could not justify paying $1100 for trim. So I decided to get the CF trim. Talked to my friend who is Service Mgr. at the dealership. I will buy the black trim piece(about $300) and he will swap it for me before delivery. BTW, before my 2010 S4 , I had n 07 335i. Really liked the car. But the S4 is WAY better in most categories. You will not be disappointed with your choice. The difference between your and my situation is that you have to drive your BMW for the next 9-10 weeks, while I am driving a car that will be very similar to the one that I ordered although with a lot fewer options than the new one. The wit is a killer.

Last edited by DrGP; 06-17-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi Newb- Just Ordered my First Audi--2014 S4