S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

And as in real estate, Location, Location, Location

In some areas of the the country it is extremely hard to get a discount, such as the SF bay area, then one may want to travel outside the area to get a deal.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have American Express, try Zag.com. I got my 2011 for $500 over invoice and a $1500 Audi Loyalty. So, I actually paid $1000 UNDER invoice. And this was NOT on a car on the lot. I waited about 3 months after ordering.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m444
And as in real estate, Location, Location, Location

In some areas of the the country it is extremely hard to get a discount, such as the SF bay area, then one may want to travel outside the area to get a deal.
True! I got a $1000 BMW conquer rebate and with some haggling an additional $1750 off MSRP. Bay area supply and demand for the S4 makes it hard because there were only 3 available at the time I purchased my car on any dealers lot up and down the peninsula.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

Zag.com provided NO discounts for the B8 S4 in the SF bay area, closest was Bakersfield, over 250 miles away.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What's up with the OP's funky font? It makes me feel like a drag queen's whispering in my ear.... not that I would know about, I mean, oh never mind.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

drink(hiccup)ing again??
Old 11-21-2010, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

heh, not yet.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gkgeiger
In my case, there will be no trade. After 20 years in the car business I have no desire to negotiate. I now have a pretty good idea where I stand. Thanks
I dont ever waste my time with that anymore. Frankly, I dont know anyone does. Invoice, Holdbacks, incentievs are all public knowldege. If you have no trade and you know what car you want, its the easiest process in the world.

When I bought ny 2009 LS460, I emailed 5 Lexus dealerships close by asking me how close to Invoice they are willing to sell a pre-ordered LS460 for and I listed all the ption codes in the mail. I alos asked for any additional dealer fees that will accompany the sale

At the end of the day, a dealer about 100 miles away offered $500 over Invoice for a pre-order. Offering to split the $595 dealer fee was the only negotiating I did

There really is no savvy about this process. Only when there is a trade is when it gets gray and a royal PITA. To be honest, Carmax writing me a check has worked out the best, even when considering the tax benefit of a trade value that dealers were offering me. Most dealers have to be very conservative when it comes to trade value.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

your strategy of emailing dealers "is" a negotiating tactic, and the dealers know that. Any public info (invoice, holdback, etc.) merely serves as a tool to aid in negotiating.

Not every buyer behaves that way, and dealers know that too, and that's my point. Many potential buyers come in with their heart on their sleeve, and "want" a car. Advantage: dealer.

Additionally, if a dealer has limited supply on a hot car, they will do the same you did, and shop the "customers" who will yield the most profit.

finding the process to be the "easiest in the world" may also reflect ones willingness to accept the 1st offer, vs. trying to take the best deal away from the table. Some buyers may have more disposable income, and may not worry about leaving dollars on the table (note- i'm am not directing this at you.... just have seen it many times in my career, and is simply a general statement).
Old 11-21-2010, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IAS5
your strategy of emailing dealers "is" a negotiating tactic, and the dealers know that. Any public info (invoice, holdback, etc.) merely serves as a tool to aid in negotiating.

Not every buyer behaves that way, and dealers know that too, and that's my point. Many potential buyers come in with their heart on their sleeve, and "want" a car. Advantage: dealer.

Additionally, if a dealer has limited supply on a hot car, they will do the same you did, and shop the "customers" who will yield the most profit.

finding the process to be the "easiest in the world" may also reflect ones willingness to accept the 1st offer, vs. trying to take the best deal away from the table. Some buyers may have more disposable income, and may not worry about leaving dollars on the table (note- i'm am not directing this at you.... just have seen it many times in my career, and is simply a general statement).

well, I wouldnt call an email negotiating. Email is the modern world mode of communication and is just letting a ealer know you are interested in that model and are asking what he is willing to sell the car for.

Negotiating to me is trying to convince the dealer to lower the price after he has arrived at an OTD price that you still arent happy with.

If there are no holdbacks, $500 over invoice and a modest dealer fee ($300 for example) makes me move on a car. If I cant find that locally, I'll send the same email to surrounding states. There have been times I have had to fly to a neighboring state to pick up an order but I have always found a dealer willing to sell for well under sticker regardless of the manufacturer and model. Only one time did a deal fall apart after an order and I made sure that the manufacturer's (Lexus USA at the time) knew who that dealer was

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 11-21-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi Pricing