S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

audio differences

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the B&O sounds much better than the Logic7, even with the Logic7's EQ fully tweaked. I do wish the B&O had an adjustable EQ, but not a deal-breaker. It still sounds nice - the bass is a bit on the thin side, but that can be remedied pretty easily.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Additionally with NAV, the single disc is DVD/CD player.

The Max capacity of the SDHC card to read is 32G formatted to FAT32

I have played back as high a resolution as lossless .wmv with no issues (though with wind and road noise, this is moot, I just stick to 192K
Old 04-01-2011, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple corrections below...

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
OP: here are some of your answers...

* Both the B&O and the standard radio have a single disc.
With nav you get single DVD, without, it's single CD

* You cannot rip from a CD to the internal hard drive. You can only import from an SD card.
This can be enabled via VAGCOM

Last edited by helix139; 04-01-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

With B&O, bass is pretty much non-existent. Mid and high responses are pretty good for a car system. It could definitely use a powered subwoofer if you wanted to feel any real bass. But I already went through my booming system phase with my first car so I don't mind it much. I think after getting an aftermarket exhaust I'd mind even less.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also I forgot - with B&O you get dual SD card readers, this is nice, since when you put the cards on shuffle, it will not shuffle just a folder you start in but the entire card. This allows me to have different music imported to the Juke, and have 2 SD's so I can get many combos of what I want to listen to (as well as something for the family/wife on their own card).
Old 04-01-2011, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xxShadowxx
I agree the B&O sounds much better than the Logic7, even with the Logic7's EQ fully tweaked. I do wish the B&O had an adjustable EQ, but not a deal-breaker. It still sounds nice - the bass is a bit on the thin side, but that can be remedied pretty easily.
I agree on the B&O bass but I am not a bass person (in fact too much annoys me) so its not a big deal. Most of the time, my base is a little to the left, sometimes in the center but never ever turned up a bit. To me Bass ruins the crisp sound of the other instruments and too much basae to me is as bad as raking your nails on a chalkboard. Base vibration also tends to be more annoying to people outside the car than it is to ones inside the car but the ones inside the car dont know it

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 04-01-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
If you want aftermarket amps/speakers, but OEM headunit, you should look at the various products from Audio Control to do so:

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...tegration.html

I currently use the LC2i for my aftermatket sub amplifier i have. If i wanted aftermarket amps for the other speakers, I would have to go to their larger units which can accomodate up to 8 channels i believe and still have use of your OEM MMI.

Here's a short demo of how the LC2i works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEoqLbgKNu0
You can also look at the JL Audio line of high performance OEM add ons. It allows the integration of aftermarket amps, subs and speakers to the OEM interface if you are not happy with the stock system. It of the highest quality to maintain ultimate fidelity.
Check it out at this link.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=94
Old 04-01-2011, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by helix139
A couple corrections below...

With nav you get DVD, without, it's single CD

This can be enabled via VAGCOM
>> right the original question was whether it was multi or single disc. regardless of nav or not - it's always a single disc.

>> surround, DSP and cabin monitoring cannot be enabled with VAGCOM - those are B&O specific features.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
>> right the original question was whether it was multi or single disc. regardless of nav or not - it's always a single disc.
Just a clarification, that's all

>> surround, DSP and cabin monitoring cannot be enabled with VAGCOM - those are B&O specific features.
I was referring to the import from CD, not the others. I'll edit my original to remove the ambiguity
Old 04-01-2011, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey thanks guys!

Well it looks like I'm outta luck. All my digital audio is in uncompressed broadcast wave format, because that's the format my recorder uses. I can convert these to .wav, and I generally record at 88KHz/24 bit (CD's are ripped at 44k/24b), but it doesn't look like the Audi system (regardless of whether the standard one or the B&O) reads and plays uncompressed .wav files at any resolution/sampling rate, is that correct?

Or is .wav considered a subset of .wma and it will read them?

On the DVD's, is that only DVD video or can it read DVDs as a data disc e.g. of .wma files or even DVD-A (audio)?

Quick Reply: audio differences