S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

automatic door locks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic door locks?

i took my s4 to audi to get some other work done and since then i've noticed that the doors no longer automatically lock.
i cant for the life of me figure this out.

where is this option and is there a vag-com tweek i need?

---shane
Old 05-11-2012, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

almost 100% sure the S4 doesn't do this stock. are you saying you could drive, park, get out and close the door and the car would automatically lock? stock, it will only auto lock if you unlock the car and don't open a door after a minute or so.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

What do you mean by automatically lock?

Mine auto locks if the driving speed exceeds 15 mph or so.

If you come home and forget to lock the car, I am not sure whether it locks by itself. Does it? (I always have the remote key with me.)
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by soundsubs
i took my s4 to audi to get some other work done and since then i've noticed that the doors no longer automatically lock.
i cant for the life of me figure this out.

where is this option and is there a vag-com tweek i need?

---shane
Under the CAR setting you are able to engage the Door lock. either for a single door or for all four.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, except for the special cases noted above the car does not automatically lock after some timer expires. If I park in the garage and don't lock it, then go out to the garage (without my advance key) a day later or whatever, the car is still unlocked.

This thread might be useful to review:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2819682
Old 05-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[oops wrong thread]

yes, im sure it was working this way. i've had it for a year and 3 months and i thought it was just an awesome thing that audi's did with the key fob thing.

the way it was: when i walked away, perhaps 30 feet or so, and NO ONE WAS LEFT INSIDE (passenger seat sensor i assumed?) it would automatically lock. i know this because i NEVER (well, maybe three times?) pressed the "lock car" button on the fob. many many many times i tried to get into the car, only to be met with the alarm LED and the doors locked.
furthermore, when i would come back to the car--- maybe 300 times by now--- it would UNLOCK the doors when i got within about 2 feet.

i thought this was in the MMI, but i toggled everything i could and it didnt seem to change it.

any other ideas?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't seen this (and I think I would find it a little annoying to be honest).
What mine does (I'm guessing they're all like this?) is if I unlock the doors with the key fob, and don't physically open the doors for about a minute, it locks itself back up.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wonder if this was happening: i locked it from the inside, got out, locked it with the fob.

when returning, it unlocked automatically when i got in range (btw what is the range?) got in.

later, got out. it relocks itself because i hadnt manually unlocked it via the fob or other.

any ideas?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not come across an auto lock or unlock as you leave or approach the vehicle. This seems a little dangerous anyway though I suppose if it can detect the advance key within a certain distance maybe it is doable.

I did find in vagcom that you can disable the auto lock when driving off and the auto unlock when you pull the key out (well, for those of us without advance key anyway, not sure how advance key handles the shut down). Under 46-Central Conv, Long Coder, Byte 5, Bits 4 and 5 have simple check boxes to toggle them on or off. I confirmed that unchecking these shuts both off. I swear I saw a post that someone wanted to get rid of the auto lock feature but can't find the thread. Maybe this info will help someone. I plan to re-enable the auto lock feature next time I connect up to the car, but I'll leave the auto unlock feature off. I have the child lock off, so anyone in the car can open the door, but people outside can't open the doors unless I unlock the doors manually. Seems like a good idea. I tested the gas door by shutting down and opening the driver's door without unlocking all doors and the gas door opened. I haven't tested this with someone on the outside and me not opening my door.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Audi in the world, at this time, with or without Advanced Key has a proximity sensor to lock/unlock the car when within a certain range. Period the end.

Quick Reply: automatic door locks?