S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

AWD Snow Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Snow Comparison

It's in German, using Google, their translation sucks.... by now you should be tired of hearing Audi wins again

S4 LINK

TEST LINK
Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll never tire of hearing about Audi winning *anything*.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

So do you guys think I could get by on regular tires with an S4 when I go up to Big Bear, CA for some snowboarding? I don't really want to have to deal with changing tires just to go snowboarding.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krunko
So do you guys think I could get by on regular tires with an S4 when I go up to Big Bear, CA for some snowboarding? I don't really want to have to deal with changing tires just to go snowboarding.
If your regular tires are summer tires, then no.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quality all-seasons and common sense will be fine. Stock summer tires will be a "NO".
Old 01-13-2010, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

The stock high performance Z rated tires are absolutely not going to cut it on even a small amount of snow or ice. You are risking an accident.

You can get some Dunlop Winter Sport tires mounted on black steel rims shipped to you from Tire Rack for under $900. Then it's just a matter of jacking up the car and bolting the new wheels on, something that can be done in under an hour.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by canyoncarver
The stock high performance Z rated tires are absolutely not going to cut it on even a small amount of snow or ice. You are risking an accident.

You can get some Dunlop Winter Sport tires mounted on black steel rims shipped to you from Tire Rack for under $900. Then it's just a matter of jacking up the car and bolting the new wheels on, something that can be done in under an hour.
sounds a whole lot cheaper than the ditch!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

The regular tires will work fun if you are using your car as the snowboard.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I actually did this once when I went up to Big Bear during college in my A4. Bad idea, I slid into oncoming traffic and was nearly sh*tting my pants. Luckily traffic was moving slow, but I was just hoping/praying as my car slid that I wouldn't hit anything and I didn't, phew! I had Ultra Perf Potenza S03's, not exactly snow tires, lol.

I laugh now, but it wasn't funny at the moment. Besides, for the past couple of years the roads to Big Bear have become a lot more strict. I drove up with a Jeep 4x4 with all seasons and they wouldn't let me up without chains. It was sunny that day with clear skies! Damn CHP, but probably for the best.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd.

Quick Reply: AWD Snow Comparison