S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

AWE Intake Review + Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWE Intake Review + Pictures

So the first thing I will say is that this is probably the best $300 I have spend on my S4 so far (besides the V1 which has a couple of saves already :P) and is everything I wanted. When I was looking for an intake, I knew that I did not want a whole lot of supercharger whine across the powerband and I like the idea of keeping the stock air box. I pulled the trigger on this right after the APR one was announced and I do not regret it because carbon fiber in my engine bay was not the objective. If you look at it now, it doesn't really look aftermarket but it makes a pretty significant difference in my mind.

The results: Overall it creates a bit of supercharger while between 2-3k RPM which I have found out can be drowned out by just slight music. However, when you go WOT and hit 4.5k, the engine sounds more alive. Not only do you start to hear the supercharger working but there is more engine noise in general which takes the tame stock sound and makes it sound pretty mean. As far as power goes, this is my only performance (kinda) upgrade of any kind so I can't really say that the butt dyno is feeling much. I can say that it is a little bit smoother in acceleration and when it gets colder at night (which is around 50F for me :P) I have noticed a slight performance jump but nothing incredible. I do believe that this combined with an exhaust will make a power difference which is why I am now certain that I will get a new exhaust at some point. (I am between the Miltek resonated, APR, and AWE with DPs) I could not be happier with how easy it was to communicate with AWE (despite a small snag that delayed the order a couple of days) and the install only took about 30 minutes and that was partly do to a short break that turned into messing around. Either way, this is a great intake and is discrete but still packs the punch I was looking for. Thanks AWE for the great product!

Pics:

Here is under the hood with the air box/hose removed

Comparison of the 2 air filters

Everything back in and ready to go

I tried to shoot a quick video of the intake but you can't really hear it. As soon as my company cameras come back from a shoot, I'll get a decent one.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

looks nice, post some sound bites and dynos if you get a chance.

Bruce
Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm thinking about placing an order for the AWE intake as well; just making sure they'll ship to me.. Thanks for the summary and pics!