S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

B5 to B8 - what's it like?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:19 PM
DHS
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B5 to B8 - what's it like?

Friends, for the past 8 years I have been running an '01 Nogaro over grey interior. It has been a wonderful ride. Strong, dependable, and fun. Even 10 years later, there is just something very special about the B5 body style. Still tunrs my head, and others's as well. Teenage boys lust after it. What other 10 year old car can claim that.I guess I have a thing for that athletic build. Ran a B5 '99 A4 for 150k miles before getting the S4. Odometer on the S4 now reads just under 247k miles. Original tranny, clutch and engine. Just did some brake work. On my second timing belt and did water and fuel pumps. Other than that, smooth sailing. Have had to replace a few ball joints thanks to crappy Maine roads. With snows all around I can plow my driveway with it. Only low clearance swamps it. And I get 29-20 mpg on regular gas.
I know it will not last forever (though I am shooting 300k miles) and would like to part company while she is still in running shape.
Looking at two options that probably seem inconsistent. Spent a fair amount of time looking at the new Porsche Cayenne with the 300 hp V6 and manual. Great vehicle by most accounts. But Porsche's price structure is like a drug - just one more option, I promise....What I want, which is not all that fancy would come out in high $50's' Would be great in Maine winters with the extra clearance.
And then I started looking closer to my auto roots at a B8. There is something about one too. And I could get a nice certified for mid 40's or so. And for the other thawed six months, the S4 would rule.
So I would appreciate hearing for those of you who have given up you B5's for the latest incarnation. Still have the love?
Thanks,
David
Old 11-10-2011, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Coming from a Stage III B5, I can say that the only thing I miss about my 2001 was the straight line speed. Stock vs stock, the B8 is tighter, more refined, stops and corners significantly better and is faster in a straight line. No regrets and I'll be looking forward to doing the tune + pulley next year.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi David, I was in a similar boat, but my B5 only had 200K miles. Silver/Silver. I bought it new in 2001. It was a fantastic car. Still one of the best stelth cars on the road. It was hard to let it go. Most people thought the car was new My B5 was highly modded. The guy that bought the B5 from me didn't even test drive it. Handed me a wad of cash, we signed some papers and off he/it went.

I opted for a new 2011 B8 S4, Ice silver w/ black/silver interior, with carbon trimline. The B8 is better car than the B5 in almost every way. Faster, quieter, smoother, breaks better, better handling, more comfortable, bla. bla. bla.

Mileage not so much. B5=27, B8=22

It's a bigger car and in stock form it is faster than my modded B5.

I am getting use to the more agressive looks. It stands out a little more that I like. As more new cars get on the road, I'm hoping the B8 will blend in more...

For a guy who obviously holds on to a car and drives one for a long time maybe you should consider new. With the economy in it's current state there seems to be increased pressure on the dealers to provide a exceptionl level of service.

Cheers!

Bob-
Attached Images     
Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with boulderbobo. Consider buying new. For a little over $50k you can get a new one with the essentials. Sport dif,Nav and B&O. Plus some other minor options if you want. I opted not to get the B&O or the nav and really don't miss not having them . But for most of the younger crowd they are essential. Sport dif is a must. Just remember, you will probably get a better finance rate on a new S4 and if you are looking for something in the mid 40K range it will probably be a 2010 with some miles on it, but probably not more than 20K. you can't co wrong either way. This is a great car.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 AM
DHS
AudiWorld Member

Bob,
You the man. "only" 200,000 miles. I like that.
I bought my B5 on Ebay in 2003 from a guy in Florida whose life revolved around the car. He put on an Milltech exhaust and this DTS transverse arm around the transmission that stiffens up the chassis. He sold it to me for $27,500 (orig $42,500) with 16k miles just before he moved back to Italy. Like I said, the S4 has been a pleasure to live with.
Love the two butt shots of your cars. Got to tell you that the B5 fanny still makes me swoon. Like the girl next door vs. the B8 which is more, I hesitate to say, chic.
I really like that interior combination you have. Very classy. I have been attracted to the red interior. Serious eye candy. But I am not so sure I would want to wake up to that every day, for the next 8 years or so.
I considered new. But seems to me that a low mile Certified car that covers me for 100k may make more sense, if I can find the car I like.
Are both your S4's 6 speed. If so, what differences to you find between them.
Regards,
David

Last edited by DHS; 11-11-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DHS
Are both your S4's 6 speed. If so, what differences to you find between them.
Regards,
David
David, yes, both S4s have 6 speed manual transmisssion. Like most other features of the B8, the tranny is a little better (quieter and smoohter). Shifting is effortless, albiet a little loose. I would say the gearing is about perfect....especially compared with my C2. I found the transmission in the B5 to also be well matched with the engine performance. As I recall I put a B&M short shift kit into the B5 to tighten the linkage up. I'm sure at some point down the road (usually at the +60k mark) I will start modding the B8. On my list:
  • short shift
  • exhaust
  • suspension
  • pully
  • brain

I never can leave well enough alone.

Thanks for the kind words on my color selection. My wife helped with the color combo.

Cheers!

Bob-
Old 11-11-2011, 09:13 AM
DHS
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I have to agree with boulderbobo. Consider buying new.
Thanks for yours. Very sensible advise. Thing is that I put on serious miles (105mi rt to work each day) and like the idea of a Certified car that would give me 100k mi coverage. I would use up the standard warranty in less than two years and would get at least another year of coverage with the Certified extention, so long as I can find a low mileage used.
Like you, I tend to be rather spare when it comes to optioning a car, particularly one as complete as the B8. With my '99 A4 1.8t all I got was the sport package - great bang for the buck. Seats were better than my B5 S4.
Any significant differences in the '10, '11 and '12 iterrations of the B8 that I should be aware of?
Obliged,
David
Old 11-11-2011, 09:26 AM
DHS
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Thanks for the kind words on my color selection. My wife helped with the color combo.
Bob, it is good to be with a woman who cares about such things. ;+)
Old 11-11-2011, 12:48 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I went from a B5 (also an '01 Nogaro) to a B8 but with a B7 A4 and C6 A6 in between.

To me the B5 felt more raw whereas the B8 is smoother and more refined...ie you are doing 80 MPH before you even realize it.

The B8 definitely handles better...especially with SD. I think the interior is nicer, but mainly because it is 10 years newer and more similar to the A6 and other MMI equipped models.

No snow yet, so I don't have any comments there. I believe the B8 is lower than the B5 so clearance may be an issue in extreme circumstances.

I do think gas mileage is worse, but it is also due to my inability to keep my foot out of it. I think if I drove it more like my old A6 it would get nearly the same mileage.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DHS
Thanks for yours. Very sensible advise. Thing is that I put on serious miles (105mi rt to work each day) and like the idea of a Certified car that would give me 100k mi coverage. I would use up the standard warranty in less than two years and would get at least another year of coverage with the Certified extension, so long as I can find a low mileage used.
Like you, I tend to be rather spare when it comes to optioning a car, particularly one as complete as the B8. With my '99 A4 1.8t all I got was the sport package - great bang for the buck. Seats were better than my B5 S4.
Any significant differences in the '10, '11 and '12 iterations of the B8 that I should be aware of?
Obliged,
David
Just a few differences. If you are looking at a lightly optioned car(Prem+), the 2010 and 2011 did not have memory seats or key less ignition or rear park control as an available option. I do believe that the compass in the mirror was added as standard in the Prem + for 2011. All those things available as either standard or optional for 2012 Prem+. However, the Titanium package was available as an option in the Prem+ for 2010 and 2011. For 2012 it is only available in the Prestige trim. BTW, you can buy an extended warranty through Audi anytime as long as the initial warranty is still in effect. Not sure on cost.