S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

B8 S4 to RS4

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B8 S4 to RS4

Am I alone in thinking the RS4 has more "emotion" than the B8 S4? I know the S4 is better in virtually every performance category, but somedays I drive the S4 and it feels soul-less. I know this is largely subjective, but maybe I need someone to tell me I'm crazy?

Can't tell if it's the S-tronic or if I want the sound of a V8, but I can't stop looking for a replacement. The fact that it's SOOO hard to find something else is evidence that the S4 is probably the ultimate DD, but can't help that I have the itch for something different....

Put me back in place, guys!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ya...

...ur crazy. How bout this, would you like to take my 1997 POS saab for a couple of days, then jump back in the S4?....Thats what I did when I had my car in service...didn't have any loaners and my time was pressing. Anyway, got in the S4 today and this is the best car! Or if you want, take some ford or chevy rental for a week then jump back to S4....u'll fall in love with the car, again!

Originally Posted by ssaa77
Am I alone in thinking the RS4 has more "emotion" than the B8 S4? I know the S4 is better in virtually every performance category, but somedays I drive the S4 and it feels soul-less. I know this is largely subjective, but maybe I need someone to tell me I'm crazy?

Can't tell if it's the S-tronic or if I want the sound of a V8, but I can't stop looking for a replacement. The fact that it's SOOO hard to find something else is evidence that the S4 is probably the ultimate DD, but can't help that I have the itch for something different....

Old 12-20-2010, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not going to put you back in your place cuse I sometimes feel the same. I had a deposit on a new left over 2008 RS4 a few months before I placed my B8 order. Although our cars are better in pretty much every category, the S4 doesn't have that truly special exotic feeling that the RS4 had. Nevertheless I still love my car
Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think it's the V8. At times, I think the lines are better on the RS4 too.

MDMA - agree that perspective is the best medicine, but an 08 RS4 isn't exactly a 97 saab. Agreed that it's better than most, but wish it some more character. Maybe it can be added through mods
Old 12-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think it's the V8. At times, I think the lines are better on the RS4 too.

MDMA - agree that perspective is the best medicine, but an 08 RS4 isn't exactly a 97 saab. Agreed that it's better than most, but wish it some more character. Maybe it can be added through mods

I think so too, the car has been out less than two years and you can get ECU, exhaust, intake, headers and all other perf. upgrades. Changing the exhaust and intake will make the S4 engine and supercharger come to life!.

I love how the RS4 looks BUT interior is not matched against the S4, now personally, if I had the B8 S4 interior with all the bells and whistles in RS4 body with the V8...I would get the RS4.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Wasnt the RS4 a V8? If so, anytime you go from a V8 to V6, even an SC V6, you wont have the same feel. A V6 also doenst have the roar and thunder OF a V8.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think you are crazy, calling the S4 souless is about a big of stretch as it can be lol. I feel you on the RS4 yes, it looks better on the outside than the S4 and has a nice exhaust note, but after that it doesn't stack up. Have you ever actually pushed the S4 especially in the turns and twisties? Have you ever tracked the car? Doing either of those would probably help out a lot. Take some turns aggressive enough to have you questioning "man in my last car i'd probably lose it" and then be pleasantly and extremely surprised. Corners that would have sent me into 360s in my 540/550/G35. I've been in quite a few other fast cars with good handling, but there's few I'd rather be in than my S4 with the sports diff. The thing seriously handles like a go-kart, the manual transmission is responsive yet buttery, inspires a real sense of tangible driver confidence, and it's just a real pleasure and fun to drive imho.

If this really has you feeling blue, go out and test drive the competition and I doubt you'll feel a 3 series or mercedes is more soulfull. I *NEVER* thought I'd be saying this, but go drive the new Mustang, that car has a lot of soul and the performance, mpg, and character to match.

This feeling you have is something I fear as well and is one of the major reasons why I still to prefer manual to auto. Good luck getting rid of it, it really shouldn't be too hard in the S4 =)
Old 12-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1
Originally Posted by MDMA
I love how the RS4 looks BUT interior is not matched against the S4, now personally, if I had the B8 S4 interior with all the bells and whistles in RS4 body with the V8...I would get the RS4.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Man if you like an RS4 better than your B8 S4 go for it! I purposely skipped the B6 S4, B7 S4, B7 RS4 as I do not care for the NA V8. Personal preference. The B7 RS4 is a great car! It is better looking and sounds great, but is actually not any faster than a stock B8 S4. You make the call man.

Bruce
Old 12-20-2010, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, wanted to be careful about using the word soul-less. It's FAR from it. I think it's just all relative. My DDs have been two S2Ks, 997S, and two e46 M3s. The S4 by far has more amenities, is much smoother and comfortable and performs at the same level.

Maybe I just prefer rougher cars. Maybe I just don't want to grow up and have a usable back seat for my kids

Quick Reply: B8 S4 to RS4