S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

beautiful S4 pics from coastal california

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And you guys will have your own Formula 1 track in 2012!!! I've heard Austin is a great place...will have to visit sometime, likely once the track is done = )

Originally Posted by drrick89
There's few places in the country as beautiful as the west coast of California up on highway 1, where the mountains meet the ocean! But, I'm with Zerin - no, not to rescue him from California - but to welcome his back to Texas!

I got my doctorate @ Baylor in Waco, TX, then lived in Berkeley (Berzerk-ley), CA while on my internship in the valley. Talk about a culture shock going from Waco to Berkeley! I wouldn't want to live for any length of time in either city as they're definitely crazy on the right in Waco and crazy on the left in Berkeley. Austin, TX - where I live - is a nice middle ground; with both liberal & conservative elements. It's also far away from the concrete jungles of Dallas, Houston, & San Antonio. It's the oasis in the middle of Texas. My backyard backs up to a greenbelt in the green, rolling hills of west Austin, yet my gym, lots of restaurants, and shopping is less than a mile away. There's also plenty of well-kept highways and dazzling sunny days down here for jetting around in my S4. Gotta love Austin!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
There might be a lot of laws in the books in CA, but for ordinary citizens with every day lives largely they are not followed. There's a certain social tolerance that lets people do whatever they want - smoke weed in public, buy weed, sell weed, marry whoever, you can get health insurance for your roommate/girlfriend/partner, you can bring your dog to a restaurant/grocery store/mall/bar, you can drink in parks and on beaches, etc.. There's not a whole lot of police because of budget issues, so a lot of things are self regulating. They don't seem to be tough on speeding either.

It's actually a very libertarian state in the way it pursues states' rights to deal with the Federal government's ineffectiveness. If CA doesn't like a federal law, it just ignores it. We care a lot more about our ballot measures than which idiots are running Congress this year or which idiot is in the White House sending money to his friends in the form of "policy". America Corporation is broken so we're going to do it ourselves - with Apple, Google, eBay, paypal, netflix, salesforce.com, vmware, oracle, qualcomm, facebook, zynga, playdom, etc.
No offense, but even with all of those kick-*** companies, your state is still dead broke. You have the highest state income tax rate in the country (behind OR who has no sales tax). You have the highest sales tax rate in the country. As for self regulating, CA has the 5th highest crime rate in the country. I'm not sure your libertarian, self regulating, high-tech state is such a great place to live afterall.

Sweet S4 though...
Old 11-09-2010, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snowbeer
Hey where's your front license plate? When I lived in CA 8 years ago that was required...
Here's an example of laws not being followed in Cali. I haven't had a front plate on in probably like 7 or 8 years and never have I been ticketed for it. Typically, unless you get pulled over for a speeding violation or something shady, the cops aren't going to waste their time.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SeattleS4
No offense, but even with all of those kick-*** companies, your state is still dead broke. You have the highest state income tax rate in the country (behind OR who has no sales tax). You have the highest sales tax rate in the country. As for self regulating, CA has the 5th highest crime rate in the country. I'm not sure your libertarian, self regulating, high-tech state is such a great place to live afterall.

Sweet S4 though...
As broke as California may be, it will never be truly broke, after all, don't forget that CA is one of the top 10 largest economies in the world. Due to that fact, CA is quite an interesting place to live with lots of opportunity and lots to see and do and rich in diversity and history. Not to mention the fact that it enjoys one of the diverse geolocations and best climates in the the world. I mean I'm 35 minutes from the beach and 3 hours from some of the best snow. Cali has something for everyone in terms of how and where you want to live, especially if you are in the upper/middle class like I would imagine most people with S4s are. All the brokeness and ****ty parts and things of CA are then avoidable =).

I've been fortunate to travel and stay in other states and countries and I honestly wouldn't live anywhere else permanently. Oddly enough, if I were to move somewhere else in the US, it would likely be Seattle or Austin =), I love those cities!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just moved to Seattle, WA from California and I gotta say, I do miss California. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving Seattle, but California just seems at the forefront of a lot of things. Whether it's pushing to get marijuana legal, coming out with the next iGadget, to making the next Hollywood blockbuster. And don't forget music! When I visit Austin on my frequent trips to visit my girlfriend who lives there (Austin is awesome Rick!) she was raving about a "new" song that had already been playing on the radios in California for a month.

Yea, I know I sound like a fan boy, but I have to represent my home state =P

Last edited by ShadowJet; 11-10-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SeattleS4

Sweet S4 though...
Right. It's a dead broke state among a dozen other dead broke states (making over half the population) glued by a dead broke federal government that literally prints $105 billion a month of money (like Hitler did) to run the empire and close the gap between $2 trillion in tax revenue and $4 trillion of spending (the rest of the gap comes from raiding social security). Let's get past 2nd grade money problems and talk about the benefits of our suspended reality.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Car looks great man, nice shots! Can't say I agree with this idea though..

Originally Posted by westwest888
If you don't live in CA, why haven't you moved yet?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

shadowjet- welcome! you're really going to like the next 9-10 months of rain here in Seattle! you will see how come we like the sun so much.

Actually was very nice today, but not very warm. There are a fair number of us B8 S4 guys up here.

Bruce
Old 11-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Everyone is talking about cost of living, salaries, and state debt. No one is mentioning the best thing about California.

THE WEATHER!!!!

Where else could you go Snow Skiing, play Golf and Surf all in the same week.

Just my opinion because I hate humidity.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tahoskier
Everyone is talking about cost of living, salaries, and state debt. No one is mentioning the best thing about California.

THE WEATHER!!!!

Where else could you go Snow Skiing, play Golf and Surf all in the same week.

Just my opinion because I hate humidity.

Vancouver Island - if you're ambitious, you could do it all in the same day

Edit: Only thing we don't get here is the LBGP - can't wait for Cali in April!!!!

Quick Reply: beautiful S4 pics from coastal california