S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Black Grill

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Grill

I painted my s4 grill black and im not sure about how much i like it with the meteor grey would any body be interested for trading with a stock grill all of the chrome on the grill was painted glossy black and the grey was painted flat black the grill looks great
Old 03-24-2010, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ill get some pics up by tommorow
Old 03-25-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah - I'm not super surprised here. I think the "blacked out look" doesn't look that great on darker cars. I think the contrast between the dark paint and silver accents looks much better.

Maybe sell it to that dude that was wanting to paint his wheels
Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
Yeah - I'm not super surprised here. I think the "blacked out look" doesn't look that great on darker cars. I think the contrast between the dark paint and silver accents looks much better.

Maybe sell it to that dude that was wanting to paint his wheels
I totally agree. It would look great on the car with the black wheels and he might be interested in buying it. You should take some great pictures and put it up on eBay - it should sell quickly. I don't get it myself but "the blacked out look" is in and many people want it.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ya, I wanted to upgrade to darker wheels to "hide" brake dust but after a lot of research and pic-browsing, it became obvious to me that dark-colored wheels look terrible on meteor gray. They simply get lost on the car visually because there is little to no contrast.

This is why I opted to not get the black-optics grille and why I think the entire black optics pack looks much better on lighter-colored cars. Completely murdered-out cars aren't my style either; they tend to just look like a black "thing" rolling down the road. It suits Batman I suppose

Last edited by ItsDubC; 03-25-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What do you guys think of diamond black/gunmetal wheels with a silver/polished lip on Meteor Gray. Such as Diamond black RS-GT's or something of the sort, where the lip will define the outer edge of the wheel to provide some contrast.

Not sure if this would look good or not.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just painted S5 grill to matte black but kept the chrome trims and installed into my Meteor Gray A5.. and it looks HOT!!!!!!!!!! I love it.. I'll post pic later...
Old 03-25-2010, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well here it is..

Before:

After:

and Close Up:

Enjoy!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone have the horizontal piece of the grill painted the same color as the car? My wife hates the size of the grill and I told her we could paint it the same color of the vehicle. Trying to convince her that the S4 is our next car and move away from BMWs. Would really like to see Ibis White as that's what I'd want to get but any color would do. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2010, 04:42 PM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here is my Meteor S4 with all the gray grill bits painted mat black. I live in a "front plate required" state and can't get a black plate holder without having one painted - so I had all the gray plastic in the grill painted mat black while leaving the chrome as is. I think it ties the whole front design together to have the main grill elements the same color as the intercooler side grills.

Quick Reply: Black Grill