S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Blacked out my B8.5 Fog light grills - pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacked out my B8.5 Fog light grills - pics inside!

Two things bothered me with the front end of the B8.5...well, I won't say bothered because I do think the front end is really stunning but things that I would change if I could.

The gray strips in the middle of the grill just looked odd, seemed to split the grill apart when I think it should be one big, stunning grill. I overlaid those strips in matte black vinyl which made a HUGE improvement in my book.

The second thing was those fog light grills, I thought the aluminum optic stripes through them again, broke them in half and made them look less sporty. The RS models have nice black, honeycomb grills that looks big and menacing, these are kind of.... old man. First thing was to order the Black Optic grills, got them from Tag motorsports and snapped them in. I loved it, but I thought the foggies threw the look off with their bright, chrome contrast. So, I tinted the fogs with pre-cut fog overlays from grfxp in dark smoke and now, i feel like the front end is complete.

Here are some pics, hope you like it!

Also, is it just me or does this car like to be photographed? I mean come on...these are just iPhone 5 pics!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by grfxp
Also, is it just me or does this car like to be photographed? I mean come on...these are just iPhone 5 pics!
With those rims, of course it wants to be photographed. Congrats!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

The car loves to be photographed, unless its moonlight blue which is impossible to photograph.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things bothered me with the front end of the B8.5...well, I won't say bothered because I do think the front end is really stunning but things that I would change if I could.

The gray strips in the middle of the grill just looked odd, seemed to split the grill apart when I think it should be one big, stunning grill. I overlaid those strips in matte black vinyl which made a HUGE improvement in my book.

The second thing was those fog light grills, I thought the aluminum optic stripes through them again, broke them in half and made them look less sporty. The RS models have nice black, honeycomb grills that looks big and menacing, these are kind of.... old man. First thing was to order the Black Optic grills, got them from Tag motorsports and snapped them in. I loved it, but I thought the foggies threw the look off with their bright, chrome contrast. So, I tinted the fogs with pre-cut fog overlays from grfxp in dark smoke and now, i feel like the front end is complete.

Here are some pics, hope you like it!

I totally agree about the foglight area. It needs to be a larger black opening, without any clutter maring it. All the S and sport models have the black hole theme and it's also that way on other brands. The look of a large intake area is meant to induce the thought of high horsepower and braking. Both need all the air they can get to feed the two.
Glad someone else saw it this way too.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SFV A4
I totally agree about the foglight area. It needs to be a larger black opening, without any clutter maring it. All the S and sport models have the black hole theme and it's also that way on other brands. The look of a large intake area is meant to induce the thought of high horsepower and braking. Both need all the air they can get to feed the two.
Glad someone else saw it this way too.
^ what I'd really love is just a set of aftermarket grills that snap in just like the OEM ones that are nothing more than gloss black honeycomb, allowing the air to enter and not look like a cheap piece of plastic.

If China can replica the RS grill so easily and cheaply, why can't they do this? I'm almost thinking of doing it myself and seeing if a plastics company would be willing to take on the job.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I like what you did with the middle of the grille. What exactly did you do to it? When you say "overlaid it with black vinyl"... is that a type of tape? Did you get it at a car parts store? How easy to install?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTalleyMon
I like what you did with the middle of the grille. What exactly did you do to it? When you say "overlaid it with black vinyl"... is that a type of tape? Did you get it at a car parts store? How easy to install?

Thanks!
2 easy solutions. You can either pick up some TrimBright black out tape at Pep Bays(it is exactly the right width) or buy precut vinyl strips: http://grfxpstore.com/store/product/885037488. I did mine with the blackout tape and it is easy to do and IMHO, really improves the look. If it doesn't hold up, I'll try the vinyl strips