S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Bluetooth Audio Streaming - Campaign for Audi to fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
No
I have not seen an "official" letter from Audi...but there was an interview with Audi of America GM of Product Planning Filip Brabec (http://fourtitude.com/news/publish/F...ter_4301.shtml) where he
said that the hardware was capable and functionality would be coming "in the future". This was also what the Audi dealer told me. I am taking this from a posting over at Audizine, btw.
------------
Brabec: What I do believe you can do is a software update that includes the A2DP - which is an audio protocol that allows you to stream music.

Brabec: There are certain phones that stream MP3 music so for those it is more interesting because there you do not have to seek for something to plug the phone into.

Fourtitude: So if you have paired a A2DP capable phone that contains music like an iPhone can you stream?

Brabec: Yes.

Fourtitude: So if you have an A2DP capable phone…

Brabec: With the patch that can be downloaded on the Website, the 2G MMI will work. You also have to buy a special Audi “dongle”. On the 3G system, the Bluetooth will be capable of doing this without additional hardware, and the functionality will come in near future.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 618 Likes on 445 Posts

What he said isn't incorrect. The 2G was capable of doing it with a software update, and the funcationality was eventually added to the system like he said and it doesn't require a dongle.

The issue seems to be that people interpreted his "in the future" comment to mean "very soon" as opposed to "four years from now".
Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What he said isn't incorrect. The 2G was capable of doing it with a software update, and the funcationality was eventually added to the system like he said and it doesn't require a dongle.

The issue seems to be that people interpreted his "in the future" comment to mean "very soon" as opposed to "four years from now".
First, the 2G MMI does require new hardware in the form of the dongle + a software update (the dongle attaches to the MMI connection in the glovebox). The software update comes on a USB drive.

Second, the issue isn't whether "in the future" = months or years, but rather that Audi now says "never". Furthermore, reasonable people that we are, we would be unlikely to interpert "in the future" in this context to mean "four years from now" when most will no longer own the car.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It seems like there is a pretty large group of 2012 owners that believe our cars should have it and some 2012 owners (or just commenters?)that don't care either way. However looking around audizine and here the group looking for this functionality is large enough that audi really needs to make it right. If you look at the lengths people are going to jury rig a feature that every car in this class and price range has it is clearly in high demand. Many of us 2012 owners were told by dealers or through web searches that the functionality would be coming to the 3G system, not the new plus system. Look at it from a logical product planning standpoint, offered the feature in 2010 and 2011 through a dongle, upgraded to a better system for 12 and did not offer the feature at all???, then 2013 upgrade again and offer full functionality. In my opinion based on the limited information available the system is fully capable audi just dropped the ball on writing software for an update in their effort to get the 2013 system out there.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 618 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrro
Second, the issue isn't whether "in the future" = months or years, but rather that Audi now says "never". Furthermore, reasonable people that we are, we would be unlikely to interpert "in the future" in this context to mean "four years from now" when most will no longer own the car.
Eh, it's arguing semantics now but he was correct when he said the 3G system would get A2DP. What he didn't say was that it would be made available to all owners with 3G MMI just that it would a feature of future 3G MMI systems.

Audi never officially promised or officially stated anything, it's all just comments that were made by someone in an interview. If people assumed that they would soon be able to update their 3G systems to A2DP, then they made an incorrect assumption.

Sure it would be nice if Audi made a software patch available that could somehow give people that capability but realisitcally they don't owe anyone anything in that regard.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Banned

The car could make 400+hp rather than the 350 or so they gave you stock by doing little more than adjusting software and holding boost to redline. Does that mean you should write a letter to get them to upgrade the ECU software since it should be easy? On the other side, they advertised 333hp...you bought your 2012...but it makes a good bit more than that as we've all seen over the past 3 years. Should you write a letter offering to accept a software downgrade to get you back to 333 hp? I'm being facetious but just because they maybe 'can' do something, doesn't mean you are owed it in any way. Should have bought a 2013.

They hold back deliberately...that allows them to make people buy the new year car to access certain features. Launch control for 2009-2010 guys? Nope. 2011+? Yes. SDHC compatibility for 2009 guys? Nope. 2010+? Yes. You should start a petition for 2013 facelifted bumper/headlights/taillights for 2009-2012 guys while you're at it.

The car will constantly evolve over its 6 or so year cycle to make people buy the new 201X model rather than grabbing a used 2010 that is 'the same'. This will happen every year till 2014 where the car will get a bunch of nice stuff to keep B8 orders flowing rather than waiting for the 2015 B9 S4.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sure it would be nice if Audi made a software patch available that could somehow give people that capability but realisitcally they don't owe anyone anything in that regard.
Well the matter whether it is owed or not is up for debate and based on the available information it could go either way depending on point of view. it would definitely seem those of us that actually own a 12 B8 are much more in the camp that we should get it based on different interactions with sales personnel during the shopping process and research done while in the process. fundamentally it does not matter, if enough consumers rise up and complain then there is a greater chance that audi will deliver the feature if they are capable. Its all about whether the cost to come up with a solution outweighs the cost of negative customer service and potential owner loyalty losses.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 552 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by xlover
Many of us 2012 owners were told by dealers or through web searches that the functionality would be coming to the 3G system, not the new plus system. Look at it from a logical product planning standpoint, offered the feature in 2010 and 2011 through a dongle, upgraded to a better system for 12 and did not offer the feature at all???,
Not sure why you think that the 3G MMI was introduced for MY2012, but it actually has been available for the A4/A5 model line since MY2010. Since Audi has already had three years to add Bluetooth streaming functionality to the 3G MMI, there is little hope for it to be added at this point.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
Not sure why you think that the 3G MMI was introduced for MY2012, but it actually has been available for the A4/A5 model line since MY2010. Since Audi has already had three years to add Bluetooth streaming functionality to the 3G MMI, there is little hope for it to be added at this point.
well i only shopped for a 2012 i didnt want to speak for anyone else
Old 07-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
The car could make 400+hp rather than the 350 or so they gave you stock by doing little more than adjusting software and holding boost to redline. Does that mean you should write a letter to get them to upgrade the ECU software since it should be easy? On the other side, they advertised 333hp...you bought your 2012...but it makes a good bit more than that as we've all seen over the past 3 years. Should you write a letter offering to accept a software downgrade to get you back to 333 hp? I'm being facetious but just because they maybe 'can' do something, doesn't mean you are owed it in any way. Should have bought a 2013.
I don't think anyone is saying that anyone is "owed" anything by Audi (and the letter I wrote certainly doens't state that). What I wrote was that it was my impression that if Audi rolled out this update, many owners would be willing to PAY for the update (at least as much as the original 2G MMI dongle solution). That doesn't sound like one is "owed" this...I also noted that there had been information to the effect that this was something Audi was planning to roll out. So this is simply asking nicely for a feature to be offered for which Audi can, if they choose, request customers to pay for.

What I don't understand is why some commenters on this thread are against other people even asking. Fact is, anyone who would like to add their 0.02cents on this can email the Audi contacts I provided to make this point. If you want to ask Audi, please do so. If you don't, well, don't.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Audio Streaming - Campaign for Audi to fix