S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Bluetooth connection issues with Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth connection issues with Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)

All,

I recently upgraded from a Blackberry to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus android phone. When I had my BB connected, every few months I would have a BT connection issue where the MMI thought I was in a call and would not hang up - I would need to reboot the phone to resolve the issue. It was tolerable once every few months, but now with the Galaxy Nexus it happens much more often, and now seems to be connected to actually making calls, rather than just being a BT bug. Essentially, I will make a call and hang up, either on the phone itself or with the left steering wheel click-roll button, and the phone hangs up, but the MMI doesn't recognize the command and stays connected. Again, to resolve the issue you must reboot the phone - even disconnecting from BT does not work, as it picks right back up with the error when you reconnect. As a side effect, this means you are not able to use the stereo system as well. Has anyone else experience similar issues with this phone? Thanks for any input.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbpoaktonva
All,

I recently upgraded from a Blackberry to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus android phone. When I had my BB connected, every few months I would have a BT connection issue where the MMI thought I was in a call and would not hang up - I would need to reboot the phone to resolve the issue. It was tolerable once every few months, but now with the Galaxy Nexus it happens much more often, and now seems to be connected to actually making calls, rather than just being a BT bug. Essentially, I will make a call and hang up, either on the phone itself or with the left steering wheel click-roll button, and the phone hangs up, but the MMI doesn't recognize the command and stays connected. Again, to resolve the issue you must reboot the phone - even disconnecting from BT does not work, as it picks right back up with the error when you reconnect. As a side effect, this means you are not able to use the stereo system as well. Has anyone else experience similar issues with this phone? Thanks for any input.
No issues for me. Have you tried upgrading to the latest ROM (android version 4.0.4) and re-pairing?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would definitely like to be able to upgrade, as I am hoping that ROM will help with other issues, but don't know how to outside of unlocking, etc. Can I force it to update? Has Verizon pushed it out? Thanks!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbpoaktonva
I would definitely like to be able to upgrade, as I am hoping that ROM will help with other issues, but don't know how to outside of unlocking, etc. Can I force it to update? Has Verizon pushed it out? Thanks!
You can update it manually. If you're already unlocked, rooted, and have CWM installed, you'll want to download the file here and flash in CWM:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1481613

Wipe the Dalvik, but it isn't necessary to wipe the cache or do a full wipe with this being an upgrade. I'd also recommend grabbing the native tethering hack, facebook sync hack, and enhanced power menu mod while you're at it.

If you're not worried about being rooted, you can use this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1480942

Rename to update.zip and flash from recovery
Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the instructions. This is a corporate-use phone though, so I haven't unlocked it. It runs the GOOD email app for my corporate communications and I'm afraid unlocking it will screw that up.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Banned

thought I'd bump this because the title is perfect...

I just grabbed a Samsung Galaxy S2 and a Samsung Note is on the way as well, but the S2 keeps dropping bluetooth connectivity whenever the screen goes to sleep or whatever it's called. Any way to stop that from happening?

I'm sure it's a simple setting but I am very green in the Android OS after using BlackBerry devices for 8 or 9 years.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 546 Likes on 367 Posts

It sounds like Samsung phones have a lot of problems with Bluetooth connectivity in general. I am considering upgrading to a Galaxy S3, but all of the complaints about Bluetooth bugs in the S2 and Galaxy Nexus may discourage me. I've had an HTC Android phone for the past two years and have never had issues connecting it to the car.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:26 AM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Got the $399 unlocked Galaxy Nexus last week. So far bluetooth has been perfect.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD15
It sounds like Samsung phones have a lot of problems with Bluetooth connectivity in general. I am considering upgrading to a Galaxy S3, but all of the complaints about Bluetooth bugs in the S2 and Galaxy Nexus may discourage me. I've had an HTC Android phone for the past two years and have never had issues connecting it to the car.
I don't think it's a big deal. My blackberry did this a couple of years ago (got a new one and it was doing this connect/disconnect/connect/disconnect every few minutes while driving). A blackberry software update cured it.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm still having the same issue, and my phone STILL has not been updated to 4.0.4. It seems to happen most often when I hang up using the car (either steering wheel or console button) rather than hang up on the phone itself or let the other person hang up.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth connection issues with Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)