S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Bluetooth Streaming Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zulujams
How is the sound quality of streaming music over bluetooth in other vehicles?
Actually quite good. I would rank sound quality from best to worst per the following in my Q7:

CD
SD Card/Juke Box
AMI Cable (iPhone 4)
Bluetooth Audio Streaming
FM Stereo
Sirius Satellite (can't believe how compressed and tinny it is)

Last edited by phil47; 10-03-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting ranking, makes sense to me, thanks. That reminds me, I really need to cancel Sirius. Some have reported great reception but mine makes listening on local roads very aggravating. I typically lose signal under bridges on the highway even. Just not worth it to me anymore.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil,

That's interesting.

I have a 2011 Q7 which cannot stream via bluetooth (3G MMI). The current A7 loaner I have has this functionality ans it's awesome.

Do you think this might be as simple as an MMI software update in the Q? Hardware-wise, I don't think there is any difference between a 2011 Q7 and the 2012 model.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by phil47
That surprises me. The 2012 A6 I drove (loaner) had the exact same MMI interphase (newer generation) as in my 2012 Q7. I was told the A6 had the same functionality as my Q7 so I was certain this included bluetooth audio streaming...maybe not?

In my Q7 I can certainly drill down in the Bluetooth settings to allow audio streaming from either my Blackberry or my iPhones (3GS and 4G). In fact it allows one device to be bluetooth synced for call management and another to be synced for music/audio streaming at the same time. Very slick. I can't do any of this in my 2011 S4. You do have to get pretty deep into the menu to enable this functionality.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, Audi themselves seem to think that an MMI update would do the trick:

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_4301.shtml

Fourtitude: So if you have an A2DP phone…

Brabec: With the patch that can be downloaded on the Website, the 2G MMI will work. You also have to buy a special “dongle”. On the 3G system, the Bluetooth will be capable of doing this without additional hardware, and the functionality will come in near future.
Unfortunately, this statement was made years ago. I fear that the ownership community hasn't pushed this issue well enough so that Audi management sees this as a priority. Why don't we mobilize? #OccupyBluetoothStreaming?

Originally Posted by RS3_Hopeful
Phil,

That's interesting.

I have a 2011 Q7 which cannot stream via bluetooth (3G MMI). The current A7 loaner I have has this functionality ans it's awesome.

Do you think this might be as simple as an MMI software update in the Q? Hardware-wise, I don't think there is any difference between a 2011 Q7 and the 2012 model.

Cheers.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Phil,

That's interesting.

Cheers.
I'm not betting on it. I also own a 2011 S4 with the 3G MMI vs the 3G MMI+ in my 2012 Q7. The interphase and functionality are so different that I suspect it's going to be a serious upgrade to the firmware at the least. In addition, the ability to add a card to receive 3G data means hardware changes were incorporated so who knows what else occured (ie. different video card, faster CPU??).
Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Phil, Jon,

Thanks for the prompt feedback and replies.

Still find this whole thing interesting in that the hardware, as you mentioned Phil, may be different, but the issue of adding Bluetooth streaming capability to an older 3G MMI system is a software one.

The revised hardware for the 2012 models has been executed primarily to add online services, is my opinion. There may be uprated internals like graphics card, CPU, etc. to cope with the rendering of Google Earth images and online functionality, but this should not affect the ability to stream BT and indeed add this retrospectively to an older MMI system via a software update.

In any case, my 2011 Q7 is in the garage and I shall report back in the next week or so. I have specifically requested the Audi tech guys working on my Q to look into an MMI software update and see whether this can be achieved. They seemed optimistic when I first mentioned it.

We shall see..

Cheers.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I think an important thing to note is that the nextgen system (3.5G MMI?) is not what should be baselined, or even the topic of conversation.

In that we all have 3G (i.e., 3rd generation) MMIs, I think it's important to talk to Audi about their commitment to bringing Bluetooth Streaming to that platform. If you bring up the next gen, they have innumerable excuses as to why something on 3.5G won't work on 3G systems.

However, it's something else to say that our current 3G systems are hardware equipped to handle A2DP (bluetooth streaming), but the software update hasn't happened yet (as promised by Audi USA), so when should we be expecting it?

Phil, Jon,

Thanks for the prompt feedback and replies.

Still find this whole thing interesting in that the hardware, as you mentioned Phil, may be different, but the issue of adding Bluetooth streaming capability to an older 3G MMI system is a software one.

The revised hardware for the 2012 models has been executed primarily to add online services, is my opinion. There may be uprated internals like graphics card, CPU, etc. to cope with the rendering of Google Earth images and online functionality, but this should not affect the ability to stream BT and indeed add this retrospectively to an older MMI system via a software update.

In any case, my 2011 Q7 is in the garage and I shall report back in the next week or so. I have specifically requested the Audi tech guys working on my Q to look into an MMI software update and see whether this can be achieved. They seemed optimistic when I first mentioned it.

We shall see..

Cheers.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Jon

Agreed.

Let's see what Audi come back with - I have already approached this topic from your angle for my Q7.

I'll find out results by end of this week hopefully.

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
I think an important thing to note is that the nextgen system (3.5G MMI?) is not what should be baselined, or even the topic of conversation.

In that we all have 3G (i.e., 3rd generation) MMIs, I think it's important to talk to Audi about their commitment to bringing Bluetooth Streaming to that platform. If you bring up the next gen, they have innumerable excuses as to why something on 3.5G won't work on 3G systems.

However, it's something else to say that our current 3G systems are hardware equipped to handle A2DP (bluetooth streaming), but the software update hasn't happened yet (as promised by Audi USA), so when should we be expecting it?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Jon

Agreed.

Let's see what Audi come back with - I have already approached this topic from your angle for my Q7.

I'll find out results by end of this week hopefully.
I have called Audi customer service about this at least twice. Also about some of the deficiencies of the MMI (forgetting the MIX setting, etc.). So far no real response of any substance, just the usual corporate line of thank you for your suggestion, we will look into this.