S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Brakes sticking or trans issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brakes sticking or trans issue?

When parking my car in the garage, I seem to have an issue. The car seems to be a bit jerky when trying to slowly move forward. By that I mean, if I let go of the brakes to move up slightly, what happens is the car does nothing, then suddenly jerks forward a tad and I have to hit the brakes, let go, wait a second, jerks forward, hit the brake again.

Issue is of course it makes parking in tight places somewhat difficult. I haven't yet taken it to the dealer as I haven't had the time.

Anyone experience this before? It's almost like the brakes stick for a second before letting the car go and it moves forward? I doubt it is the transmission?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a strong jerk? Sounds like u have a DSG I just got mine yesterday and I would say its normal mine does the same except I wouldn't call it really a jerk When I let go of the brake it takes a sec or two to get rolling
Old 09-23-2011, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thing is it's more of a jerk forward than a gentle roll, would have thought letting go of the brake would cause the car to roll slightly. If this is normal, I'll have to put soft material on the wall of the garage as I'm literally concerned the car will jerk itself into the front wall. Or for that matter if I ever leave it to be parked by an attendant in a parking lot for instance where they would typically try and butt it up close to other cars.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmm maybe its not normal than
Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbcsd
When parking my car in the garage, I seem to have an issue. The car seems to be a bit jerky when trying to slowly move forward. By that I mean, if I let go of the brakes to move up slightly, what happens is the car does nothing, then suddenly jerks forward a tad and I have to hit the brakes, let go, wait a second, jerks forward, hit the brake again.

Issue is of course it makes parking in tight places somewhat difficult. I haven't yet taken it to the dealer as I haven't had the time.

Anyone experience this before? It's almost like the brakes stick for a second before letting the car go and it moves forward? I doubt it is the transmission?
I have the same issues, plus others with the DSG. I had mine adjusted through some adaptive procedure, seemed to work for a while, but still clunks and jerks among other things etc....
Old 09-24-2011, 01:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds normal mate. As the car is engaging reverse gear you will feel slight jerk. If you didn't brake, the car would creep backward. However when you brake the car disengages reverse gear and goes into "neutral".... Then when you let go of brake pedal the whole cycle repeats itself! Hence the bunny hop sensation

Try being more progressive with the brakes so youre not actually bringing the car to a stop when reversing but just slowing down the creep

Hope that makes sense