S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Break in period???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break in period???

I'm getting my new S4 next week. Is there a recommended "break in period" before seeing what she can do?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave335i
I'm getting my new S4 next week. Is there a recommended "break in period" before seeing what she can do?
Audi recommends a softer break in, but you open yourself up to oil consumption issues with that method as you run a good chance the piston rings won't fully seat.

I and many others here did the Motoman method (aka controlled aggressive break in or DrGP method) and have had no issues and burn no oil.

This method consists of warming the car up fully (oil temp, not just coolant temp) and doing a couple of controlled full throttle bursts to redline (doesn't matter what gear) and engine braking back down every day you take the car out for the first 1000 miles. In between, vary your engine speed, engine brake very liberally, and do as many full throttle bursts short of redline as you want.

It's not "drive it like you stole it" but a purposeful breaking in of the engine to ensure the rings wear in and seat on the hard alusil cylinder walls.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by helix139
Audi recommends a softer break in...
I think it's pretty humorous that anyone thinks that "Motoman" or anyone else knows better than Audi about how best to break in an engine.

What benefit would there be to Audi (or any other manufacturer) to recommend anything other than the optimal break-in procedure?

Looking at it another way, if an engine part were to fail prematurely, and the owner HAD NOT followed the manufacturer's recommendations regarding break-in, why would the manufacturer cover the broken part under warranty?

I mean, Audi and VW have very specific requirements for engine oil. If Motoman said that the Audi/VW standard was baloney, and that you should use (fill-in-the-blank with an alternate non-Audi/VW approved oil brand) instead, would you do that? If you did, Audi and VW could rightfully deny any warranty claim because you didn't follow their recommendation....

To the OP: Read the owner's manual when you get the car - it contains instructions for proper break-in....

Last edited by ZCD2.7T; 02-01-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
What benefit would there be to Audi (or any other manufacturer) to recommend anything other than the optimal break-in procedure?
I
t is cheaper to set excessive oil consumption limits absurdly high and make customers pay to put in an extra quart or 5 every 5k than it is to replace an engine from some retard bouncing off the rev limiter while the car is still cold.

Do you know of anyone who has had a problem as a result of the Motoman method? I sure don't.

Make no mistake, these engines were run to redline at the factory before we ever even touch our cars. Nothing bad is going to happen to your engine by running it hard during break in.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with helix139.
When I picked up the car in Ingolstadt I was able to visit the factory and speak to several technicians. All recommend warming up the car and perform the harder break in for the first 1000 miles with variable RPMs and engine braking. The key is variable RPMs. Don't baby it.
Nothing wrong with following the manual but do you really want to have to add additional oil every now & then?
As helix139 said these engines are pushed to the limits prior to being mounted on the car. They're really built for the autobahn and not US stop & go traffic driving.

Last edited by Osicom; 02-01-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Osicom
...When I picked up the car in Ingolstadt I was able to visit the factory and speak to several technicians...
So Audi's own technicians contradict their employer?? Really??
Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I followed the soft break in. Now at 3100 miles (70% local miles) and the engine oil reading is one tick off the maximum. I guess it is fine since all cars I have owned use a little bit of oil after 3k miles.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Technicians and lawyers/warranty dept frequently have different ideas about what is better for a car.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, really. I can't believe it either.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Osicom
Nothing wrong with following the manual but do you really want to have to add additional oil every now & then?
I thought that came with owning any car.

Quick Reply: Break in period???