S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Break Squeal Saga Continues

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the brake noise for about 2 weeks recently and it has since gone away. I think it was due to the hot/cold/rain/snow and salt in the past month.
Never tried ceramic pads but have done hundreds of brake jobs in the past 35+ years. Even before the man made replacements for Asbestos.

One thing has always been the case.

Brake noise is cause by high frequency vibration. The harder, smoother and shinier the two surfaces the more squeal. Pads that make dust are softer and brake better. Hard pads have less wear and less dust. Wear is the dust you see. My previous BMW had severe dust but stopped on a dime. They were also velvet smooth. They never made a sound.

Hard pads also create more heat because they don't stop as well. Heat creates warping and a mess of other issues including a flat shiny surface.

Ceramic pads have to be harder so how do they effect the rotors? Too much heat can warp the rotors so have been passing on using them.

I always replaced my BMW pads with the OEM Textar pads. Best brake feel and stopping distance I ever saw. Yes had to replace them more often and also with new rotors all the time. Not sure of the mileage. When you pay 55-60k for a car it is worth replacing the brakes and rotors. The dust is a by product you have to deal with by protectants and maintanence. I often just wash the wheels in between car washes since on decent days the car stays clean but the wheels make the car dirty looking.

Only have an Audi for a year I am not sure about the rotor and brake wear yet but will be reluctant to put the ceramics on for a daily driver.

Is rotor replacement with brake pad replacement normal with Audi?
What are the reviews of the ceramic pads and were the rotors replaced at the same time?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Problem solved for now

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
It's brake not break.
Very true. I think everyone knows that but are a little less concerned about typos over the brake problem.

My dealer did a great job and replaced the brakes. Put 500 miles on the car since the job done and so far no squealing. Keeping fingers crossed. I can say with certainty that Audi now knows a lot about this problem so feel free to hammer them on it and you should get the job done
Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

These are my brakes after being replaced.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OMG that sounds horrible. I'd crash into things just so I don't have to use the brakes. Hope they it sorted out quickly.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nickyboy
http://youtu.be/ebtu_fMd6j0

These are my brakes after being replaced.
Comes with the territory of big brakes. Don't Lambos and other exotic cars do the same thing?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
Comes with the territory of big brakes. Don't Lambos and other exotic cars do the same thing?
No, that's not aggressive pad noise. There's a strange harmonic issue going on for sure.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BoostLE
OMG that sounds horrible. I'd crash into things just so I don't have to use the brakes. Hope they it sorted out quickly.
To update.

I have given the car back to Audi until its sorted as I don't want to drive it. I have a brand new S5 cab until mine is sorted. Can't see it being quick though.