S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Brilliant VS Phantom Black

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brilliant VS Phantom Black

Anyone has compare the 2 in person? Is the Phantom's pearl effect worth the upgrade?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They both look nice...having seen both in person I went with the Phantom Black but this will be a highly personal choice.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can you describe the difference? I can understand metallic and flat black but I just can't imagine pearl black.

Does it have a different gloss? A warmer hue?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would describe brilliant black as a nice deep gloss black. While phantom black might have a bit more depth to it and not quite as dark...looks ever so slightly metallic. If you stop by a dealer they will have swatches in the back of the A4/S4 brochure (though they don't really do any of the colors justice)
Old 12-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Basically what they said.

Brilliant Black - Gloss Black.

Phanton Black - Black with a silver flake; depending on your lighting you might get anything from a pure black all the way to a dark charcoal in sunlight.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When they're right next to each other, and up close, Phantom almost looks like very dark charcoal compared to Brilliant. In the sun, the pearl in Phantom is very apparent. Doesn't take on a hue (like Meteor), just very rich and metallic looking.

Brilliant looks classic when clean (and new?), but for me the Phantom has a lot of depth, and looks different in varied light. Also, I'm thinking (hoping) it's going to be a little more forgiving of light dirt, scratches, etc. From a distance, they seem to look similar.

Worth the extra $$ to me.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think I'm sold on Phantom. Now the interior, anyone got pics of red or silver nappa?

I'm wondering how each look with black. I'm leaning toward silver but after the penguin thread, I'm not so sure.....
Old 12-15-2009, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

search around. there are some good pics of both on this forum. use the keyword "magma" for the red though.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stolky

Brilliant looks classic when clean (and new?), but for me the Phantom has a lot of depth, and looks different in varied light. Also, I'm thinking (hoping) it's going to be a little more forgiving of light dirt, scratches, etc.
Metallic paints always hide swirls and slight imperfections better than non metallic paints. This alone may make it worth the cost of admission.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by xtr3ma
I think I'm sold on Phantom. Now the interior, anyone got pics of red or silver nappa?

I'm wondering how each look with black. I'm leaning toward silver but after the penguin thread, I'm not so sure.....
I went for Brilliant Black and Magma red nappa.

As far as Phantom Black being easier to maintain, keep clean and scratch-free looking I'm not convinced. Black cars are a lot of work, eventually imperfections end up showing but you just can't beat the look of a freshly waxed black car.

Here's a few pictures including interior.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Brilliant VS Phantom Black