S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Build to Order Lead Times

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilettanteque
Seems a common theme. The length of wait only gets bigger once you've committed.

I am just hoping to get mine before the B9 is announced with all that weight loss and new diff technology. I know the B9 S4 Avant will be a long way away when the new platform is announced, but it will be a tad annoying to have picked up the superseded model at the current model pricing!
I'm new to the forum and just placed an order for a new S4 last night after weeks of negotiating with dealers across the Northeast. Finally settled on a factory order to get the exact spec I wanted, and was able to get it at a good price. I put down nearly a 10% deposit - was that a mistake? Will they have less motivation to push it through the factory? I was told late Feb/early March delivery. It seems like that's in the normal time period. Order was:

S4 Quattro S-Tronic
Estoril Blue
Black Fine Nappa Leather
Side Assist
B&O Sound
Sports Diff
18" A/S Tires
Nav
All-Weather Mats
Supercharged Badges

Super excited to take delivery, but hope they don't mess with me on the delivery time. Any have experience with the deposit amount and length of time for delivery?
Old 12-17-2013, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mat Ackerman
I'm new to the forum and just placed an order for a new S4 last night after weeks of negotiating with dealers across the Northeast. Finally settled on a factory order to get the exact spec I wanted, and was able to get it at a good price. I put down nearly a 10% deposit - was that a mistake? Will they have less motivation to push it through the factory? I was told late Feb/early March delivery. It seems like that's in the normal time period. ?
10% deposit is certainly excessive and only a "mistake" if you've got an unscrupulous salesperson/dealer who might try to change the terms of the deal or springs any "surprise" charges on you when the car comes in. Generally speaking, deposits for ordered cars are $500-$1,000 or nothing at all (as in the case of my last 2 ordered A6's).

As for the Esoteril Blue, might want to read this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2858434
Old 12-17-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a question....

I'm looking to lease a '14 S4, but my dealer can't seem to locate exactly what I'm looking for in terms of configuration (or even find a close match for that matter - every close match seems to be spoken for).

In your opinion, would it be crazy on my part to place a custom order for a leased car? If I were looking to buy it, I wouldn't think twice, and just place a custom order. But I don't know if it's worth the hassle and long wait for a car I will part ways with, in 3 years...

Any thoughts?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audi40
10% deposit is certainly excessive and only a "mistake" if you've got an unscrupulous salesperson/dealer who might try to change the terms of the deal or springs any "surprise" charges on you when the car comes in. Generally speaking, deposits for ordered cars are $500-$1,000 or nothing at all (as in the case of my last 2 ordered A6's).

As for the Esoteril Blue, might want to read this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2858434
Thanks. I have everything signed and in writing on the order specs and price, so feel somewhat ok about not getting surprised when it comes in.

I was bummed to see the comments on the Estoril Blue. The color is awesome, so I guess I'll take the risk and use some of the tips from the forum.

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEED
I have a question....

I'm looking to lease a '14 S4, but my dealer can't seem to locate exactly what I'm looking for in terms of configuration (or even find a close match for that matter - every close match seems to be spoken for).

In your opinion, would it be crazy on my part to place a custom order for a leased car? If I were looking to buy it, I wouldn't think twice, and just place a custom order. But I don't know if it's worth the hassle and long wait for a car I will part ways with, in 3 years...

Any thoughts?
It doesn't matter whether you lease, purchase or how long you plan to keep the car. All that matters is if you're willing to wait 3 months or so for the car configured the way you want. Only you can answer that question.