S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Called local dealer for Stasis reflash...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikwi
Sounds crazy to ask for a new ECU ? How much will they ask for $$
I insured mine for $1500 when I sent it to APR each time... I don't remember where I got that figure, either on one of the boards or I called the dealer... I need to order some gaskets and such for the blower in the next week or so, I'll ask while I am there...
Old 04-04-2011, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Muray
And they told me that I need to bring in my car, they take out the ECU, then they ship it back and reinstall it in the car. Takes 3 to 4 business days. Is that usual? I was hoping to have it reflashed like in an hour, ha ha. The price is $1850 plus tax so it's like $2000.
wow, $2K to flash a chip?

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 04-04-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
I beleive they give you lube, err I mean a loaner as well... LOL
Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And they told me that I need to bring in my car, they take out the ECU, then they ship it back and reinstall it in the car. Takes 3 to 4 business days. Is that usual? I was hoping to have it reflashed like in an hour, ha ha. The price is $1850 plus tax so it's like $2000.
I paid $1740 out-the-door for my local STaSIS dealer. Most of the other STaSIS flash owners have paid about the same price, so $2000 sounds a bit deep.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If flashing chips is so easy, feel free to start up your own business
Old 04-04-2011, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to void the warranty...but there's no way the dealer can find out about the APR reflash, right? And nothing goes wrong with the reflash, right?
Let's be clear. You can't void your warranty by having your ECU reflashed by APR or Stasis. Your dealer can refuse warranty coverage if a part fails as a result of the tune, but they can't deny you coverage on, say, a defective suspension component because of an ECU tune.

That said, even a Stasis tune is not covered by Audi. The warranty on that is through Stasis. If you get the Stasis tune at a Stasis dealer and Audi denies coverage on a problem, Stasis should step in and foot the bill for the repair. A couple of key things, though:

1) When getting the Stasis tune, Audi has knowledge of it.

2) If Audi blames the Stasis tune and Stasis blames Audi parts, neither of them will be the ones left holding the bag while it is hashed out.

3)If Stasis goes belly up, the Stasis warranty means nothing.

Just a few things to consider.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
If flashing chips is so easy, feel free to start up your own business
actually, flashing ROM chips is part of what I do as a Software engineer

I dont know about AUDI but Its not difficult to flash a corvette chip for octane levels, Compression ratios for FI applications or whatever you are looking to do. The equipment isnt expensive either, probably around $300-$400. A know many who have played around with it after the warranty period. And you dont remove chips to reprogram them unless you outsource the work which in this case, the dealer seems to be doing

Chip reconfiguration data for vettes is widely available on many of the forums. Ya I know, this is an audi forum, not corvette, But I'm just saying . . .
Old 04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I dont know about AUDI but Its not difficult to flash a corvette chip for octane levels, Compression ratios for FI applications or whatever you are looking to do. The equipment isnt expensive either, probably around $300-$400. A know many who have played around with it after the warranty period. And you dont remove chips to reprogram them unless you outsource the work which in this case, the dealer seems to be doing

Chip reconfiguration data for vettes is widely available on many of the forums. Ya I know, this is an audi forum, not corvette, But I'm just saying . . .
You can really change the compression ratio with a tune?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi's ECU is significantly more sophisticated. There's 1024-bit encryption between the ECU and the OBD-II that won't allow a flash using the traditional tools. All of APR's flashing tools had to be developed and built in-house and the ECU cracked for this and there is no way to do the initial flash other than to pull the ECU and bench flash currently. There's a high initial investment for APR and that is where the cost comes from. That, and lack of any competitors.

Yes, in this case the dealer is outsourcing it to Stasis, and APR is the only company to have cracked the ECU for the 3.0TFSI, so Stasis is outsourcing to them.

Last edited by helix139; 04-04-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FINA4
I paid $1740 out-the-door for my local STaSIS dealer. Most of the other STaSIS flash owners have paid about the same price, so $2000 sounds a bit deep.
My Stasis Tune was $1620 out the door and I did get a loaner from Monday PM to Friday PM

Quick Reply: Called local dealer for Stasis reflash...