S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Called local dealer for Stasis reflash...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primetime
You can really change the compression ratio with a tune?
I think he is talking about the boost level.

Bruce
Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Can_I_Haz?
...Lets say Stasis has a warantee, Their tune cost $400 more because of their warantee....
The list price of the Stasis & APR tune ($1499) is nearly the same, but for this month the APR tune is on sale.

The basic ECU tune cost difference is (when the APR tune is not on sale) the install & shipping cost , which depends on the dealer .
Old 04-19-2011, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugging in real data, noone with a stassis tune or apr tune has had any issues on the b8 s4 (that we know of) stassis charges more, has a longer wait, and people are claiming apr has better performance. How valuable is that "insurance policy" really?
I thought the Stasis tune IS the APR tune. Didn't Stasis pay APR $150k to put their name on the APR tune?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Winner Audi in Wilmington, Delaware
Old 04-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
I thought the Stasis tune IS the APR tune. Didn't Stasis pay APR $150k to put their name on the APR tune?
FatalBert,
I was making a point about warantee. warantee = insurance not a better or safer product.

BTW lets see what happens when someone puts a non stasis catback or intake with a stasis tune and for whatever reason the motor melts a piston. Stasis can say our tune is only designed to work with our parts or a stock car only and wont honor the warantee.

An intake can easily throw off a maf signal. Alot of intakes for other cars are designed make power this way. I personally witnessed an evo drop a half point on the A/F ratio with just an intake on a dyno! And the evo is supposed to have (at the time) one of the most accurate MAF sensors out there.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

FatalBert,
I was making a point about warantee. warantee = insurance not a better or safer product.

BTW lets see what happens when someone puts a non stasis catback or intake with a stasis tune and for whatever reason the motor melts a piston. Stasis can say our tune is only designed to work with our parts or a stock car only and wont honor the warantee.

An intake can easily throw off a maf signal. Alot of intakes for other cars are designed make power this way. I personally witnessed an evo drop a half point on the A/F ratio with just an intake on a dyno! And the evo is supposed to have (at the time) one of the most accurate MAF sensors out there.
Oh, I was just asking for clarification. I thought the tune that Stasis provides is the same exact tune that APR provides just at a higher price because of the "warantee" they "provide". If so, then the only time I could see their warantee being useful is if the ONLY thing you do to your car is the ECU tune. Then there may be some grounds on blaming them if something fails, since it is the only thing you did to the car.

Regardless, I would still like to be sure if the Stasis tune is indeed identical to the tune that APR provides. Does anyone fully know?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
Oh, I was just asking for clarification. I thought the tune that Stasis provides is the same exact tune that APR provides just at a higher price because of the "warantee" they "provide". If so, then the only time I could see their warantee being useful is if the ONLY thing you do to your car is the ECU tune. Then there may be some grounds on blaming them if something fails, since it is the only thing you did to the car.

Regardless, I would still like to be sure if the Stasis tune is indeed identical to the tune that APR provides. Does anyone fully know?
It's been discussed at length exactly what the Stasis warranty is worth. The big question is what happens if Audi says it is Stasis' fault and Stasis says it's Audi's fault? The contract I saw doesn't have any language to prevent the customer from being caught in the middle. Your scenario would seem to have some merit also, and there is the additional possibility that if Stasis ever went belly up, you're left with a tune with no warranty that the dealer and Audi know you have.

As far as whether the Stasis and APR 91 tunes are identical, nobody really knows, and I doubt we ever will unless someone else learns how to crack the 1024-bit encryption on our ECU and pulls the programs. It is all but confirmed through APR's non-denials that they did indeed program the Stasis tune, though.