S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

can I prevent radio/ipod from always coming on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can I prevent radio/ipod from always coming on?

I've searched the forums and manual... but can't seem to prevent either the radio or ipod from automatically playing when I turn the car on. Even when I turn the music off (by pushing volume ****) the next time I start the car, it starts playing again.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or can this be fixed via a vagcom?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This was driving me crazy as well since May when I bought my used '07 A4. I searched and found the answer today on this forum! You need to press and hold the on/off button to shut off the radio. I just tried it and it worked. Seems to turn everything (nav, etc. -- entired screen) off as well. But, yay, I am happy I found that because it was driving me crazy too. (Just pushing quickly on the on/off only mutes the radio and if you accidentally touch the volume wheel while turning or something, it will come back on if it's only muted.)
Old 09-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks Audiology, but as you mentioned, holding down the on/off button turns the entire MMI off. I'd just like to step into my car, start it up, and have the audio in the same "position" as when I last left it (regardless of how long the cars been sitting).

It seems that if the cars been sitting for an hour or less, it'll pick up where it left off. But if its been sitting for a few hours or more, when I start the car, it starts playing the first song in the first playlist of my iPod, or whatever station the radios on.

Does this happen to everyone else?

Dustin
Old 09-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

maybe it has more to do with the ipod than the mmi? maybe the ipod goes to sleep mode, then after a few hours it shuts off. do you think that could be the reason? not sure don't have my car yet to try it =)
Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That drives me crazy, too. It's not an iPod issue, it never happened on my Bimmer. This is especially annoying with my new S4 as my car has chosen the "90's" playlist on my iPod, and the first song on that playlist is "Walk Like an Egyptian". I don't even know how that got on my iPod to begin with.

There are lots of sites that offer codes to override some of these quirks with the MMI system, like:
- seat belt chimes when car is in park (chime when door is open is annoying, too)
- beeping / music shuts off when car is in reverse
- first song on iPod playlist begins once car starts
- etc.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Other than that, this car is a monster!!!!

Andrew
Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phishgoldyS4
That drives me crazy, too. It's not an iPod issue, it never happened on my Bimmer. This is especially annoying with my new S4 as my car has chosen the "90's" playlist on my iPod, and the first song on that playlist is "Walk Like an Egyptian". I don't even know how that got on my iPod to begin with.
Sure you don't

There are lots of sites that offer codes to override some of these quirks with the MMI system, like:
- seat belt chimes when car is in park (chime when door is open is annoying, too)
- etc.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Other than that, this car is a monster!!!!

Andrew
You mean like the one you're on now? You can use a VAG COM to get rid of the annoying 'seat belt chime'. There's a setting in the MMI to adjust the amount of 'entertainment suppression' when backing up.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by phishgoldyS4
- etc.
This is the first I've heard of any iPod-related vag com codes. Can you provide more detail on the one you mentioned?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DigiSage
This is the first I've heard of any iPod-related vag com codes. Can you provide more detail on the one you mentioned?
This would be one of the 'Holy Grail' codings.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default messup

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
This would be one of the 'Holy Grail' codings.
I was wrong - a guy at the dealership thought it was possible but we determined it is not... doh! sorry for false hope.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I spent quite a bit of time with this today to no avail. I tried about every possible combination with not only the iPod, but also other sources of music and radio, and no matter what I do, every time I star the car, music plays.

Turning off the MMI completely (holding down the volume button for 3 seconds) does indeed prevent music from playing when you start the car, but it's kind of a hassle to have to turn on MMI every time you start the car.

And not to mention, when the MMI does comes on, it immediately starts playing music.

Quick Reply: can I prevent radio/ipod from always coming on?