S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Can you find Stripper S4s ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I will change strategy... I can afford to wait 6 months... I will wait for a nice CPO 2010 or less likely 2011 model... Nice discount, still decent warranty... My cayman will lose some value, but comparatively less than the new S4 will at the same time... I'm really not picky about options, colors, just want stick :-)
Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Buddy, if you can swing the Ibis that audiophilis is selling in the classifieds (see above) you should get it. That thing has been babied and the mods are super sweet. The wheels alone...well, buy the car!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I wish, its a nice car, but I need to go through a dealer, because I want to trade my car in... It's always easier if you don't have that problem :-)
Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Deschodt
I went there, it did not go well.... First I was told there was little to no give on the S4. Period. At best a grand off msrp, and that was after much begging and cajoling.

Then, they had no car to test-drive, none. There were 2 sticks but to be delivered to their owners, so all I could do was sit I one and make sure my fat *** fits in the seat. It does...whoopee...

Last but not least, they offered me$ 26600 for my cayman S in trade. I mean, the worst trade in I saw on the black/blue books was 30 something, private is 34.... So between that slap in the mouth, the lack of cars to my specs and the lack of test drive, I left... All I got was a brochure :-)

Yes, ordering one will be the way to go for sure... Sports diff and maybe the BO sound, period. But with that bad of a trade in, forget it. Private sale would be better but you lose a bunch on tax and there's the aggravation... With the difference right now, I can go buy me a used A4, chip it, and *keep* my cayman S for the same money or less. Insane...

We'll see if they call back but I'm not holding my breath :-(
What are the details of your cayman? That sounds really low. I sold my 2007 Cayman S with 30k miles on it for $36.5k back in August. I listed it on planet-9 and autotrader and it was sold in 5 days.

Also, with respect to Audi dealers. i've found most of them to have theirs heads stuck up their a@*I#. The pretend the S4 is an exclusive/rare car, and that they're doing you a favor in even talking to you about it. KEEP SHOPPING! After I got my $800 over invoice deal, the other 3 dealers harassed me non-stop to ask if I would give them the opportunity to match.

Couldn't also hurt to check zag.com.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got an Ibis Premium + with Magma/black interior with 6MT/ Nav/Regular audi symphony/no B&O/no Sport differential. 46,800. My model is a pretty "stripper". But I do have wheel locks and supercharged badges lol. IMO if you like to drive, sport differential isnt needed so much. You can still get it done without it.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by toddphilly
What are the details of your cayman? That sounds really low. I sold my 2007 Cayman S with 30k miles on it for $36.5k back in August. I listed it on planet-9 and autotrader and it was sold in 5 days.
I agree that seems low... But it was really the combination of that + the lack of "anywhere close to MSRP" car around, and only 2 sticks to choose from that did me in. Like I said earlier, I'll wait for a CPO or for reason to prevail (the sales guy at Audi was actually OK, he was as surprised as I was at the lowball figure from the used car guy). Selling the CS for more would be easy, but I then lose about $3000 in tax on the purchase of the Audi, plus I've gotta accomodate joyriders, worry about a private transaction (lots of fake certified checks etc..). No biggie, I may have jumped the gun anyway, I don't NEED the S4 for another 6-9 months. By then, new S4s turned CPOs will have lost more $$$ than my already devalued Cayman. I just gotta remember to buy one with a water pump built post 04/2010 apparently ;-)

As a past CS owner, please tell me how the transition felt, if you don't mind. I'm sure the car feels bigger, heavier, more nose heavy than a central engine, but the power on 4WD has to be a kick in the pants, no ?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BaLLZDeePNYC
I got an Ibis Premium + with Magma/black interior with 6MT/ Nav/Regular audi symphony/no B&O/no Sport differential. 46,800. My model is a pretty "stripper". But I do have wheel locks and supercharged badges lol. IMO if you like to drive, sport differential isnt needed so much. You can still get it done without it.
Pretty much exactly what I'd get... wanna trade for a nice white Cayman S ? ;-) kidding... Thank you for talking real numbers!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Deschodt
I agree that seems low... But it was really the combination of that + the lack of "anywhere close to MSRP" car around, and only 2 sticks to choose from that did me in. Like I said earlier, I'll wait for a CPO or for reason to prevail (the sales guy at Audi was actually OK, he was as surprised as I was at the lowball figure from the used car guy). Selling the CS for more would be easy, but I then lose about $3000 in tax on the purchase of the Audi, plus I've gotta accomodate joyriders, worry about a private transaction (lots of fake certified checks etc..). No biggie, I may have jumped the gun anyway, I don't NEED the S4 for another 6-9 months. By then, new S4s turned CPOs will have lost more $$$ than my already devalued Cayman. I just gotta remember to buy one with a water pump built post 04/2010 apparently ;-)

As a past CS owner, please tell me how the transition felt, if you don't mind. I'm sure the car feels bigger, heavier, more nose heavy than a central engine, but the power on 4WD has to be a kick in the pants, no ?
Transition from CS to S4 is VERY different. Not bad, just different. The CS is very nimble, with amazing road feel, direct & precise steering, WONDERFUL exhaust & engine sound, and just about my favorite car I've ever owned. The CS is just very exciting and raw. It is a true sports car. No matter how you slice it, the S4 is not a CS (nor was it intended to be). If you expect it to elicit the same emotions and sheer fun factor as the CS you will be disappointed. That wasn't my expectation however, and I have been absolutely thrilled with the car. The S4 is much more comfortable, quiet, and generally a better daily driver. It does a lot of things very well, and it has more than adequate power and handling to put a smile on your face. My wife and I have a newborn due in 2 months, and the S4 was basically the best blend of fun and practicality I could find on the market. It is precisely what I was looking for, and it has met/exceeded my expectations. So again, the transition will depend a lot on your expectations, but the S4 really is a fantastic car.

FYI - mine is ibis white with black/magma seats as well. Looks stunning in person.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just to conclude this, I won't be joining your merry band of S4 owners for a while yet... Negociations did not resume well with the dealer...
In fact, I skipped plan b and went to plan C: I sold my mid-80s 911 instead and that money will easily cover the purchase of a B7 A4 quattro 2.0T - manual - in a few months. I can then spend $1000-1500 in software and the usual maintenance bits that fail (DV etc), and KEEP my Cayman S. At the end of the day, this adventure nets me a decent A4 4 seater for $1500 instead of $23000, and I keep the cayman S instead of the old 911 ! I'll wait for one of you guys to trade in your lovely B8 S4 in a few years, and get that CPO'ed ;-)