S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Car "floating" at higher speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I do not have ADS so I can't change any setting. Had I known the suspension was this soft I may have opted for that. I don't know though, cause it just feels too floaty. Maybe I'll have to bring it in and have the shop foreman take a ride with me and see if he deems what I'm feeling as "normal".

400 miles on the odometer as of last night (been driving every chance I get for the past week). First thing I'm going to check the tires and see if taking a few PSI out of them helps, unless of course they're already under 40.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure it isn't tramlining?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrizzTT
I've only had my S4 for a week now and I notice that at highway speeds (60mph plus) the car seems to float. What I mean by this is, it doesn't seem too planted on the road and kind of moves around a little like the wheels aren't firmly planted to the ground. Has anyone else experience this? At first I thought it was because I was comparing it to my M Coupe, which sits much lower and weighs 700lbs less, but after driving it more and more I feel like it's definitely the car and not my perception of it compared to the other car. Had my fiance in the car yesterday and even she felt it. I'm thinking (hoping) that maybe my tire pressure is just too high. Would have checked it already but been real busy with work plus just got a new puppy last week, which needs constant attention. Gonna check the pressure right now and if they're set to 40+ all around I'm thinking of taking the advice from another member on this forum and setting the fronts to 39 and rears to 35.

Can anyone confirm: 1) That those are indeed the correct pressures to set at, and, 2) That doing so won't set off the tire pressure warnings.

Thanks.
Do you have the sport diff? I haven no issues, but I always run dynamic mode with the heavy steering. We're on the same roads in San Diego
Old 07-04-2010, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrizzTT
Unfortunately I do not have ADS so I can't change any setting. Had I known the suspension was this soft I may have opted for that. I don't know though, cause it just feels too floaty. Maybe I'll have to bring it in and have the shop foreman take a ride with me and see if he deems what I'm feeling as "normal".

400 miles on the odometer as of last night (been driving every chance I get for the past week). First thing I'm going to check the tires and see if taking a few PSI out of them helps, unless of course they're already under 40.
You misunderstand me, I have no ADS, and the stock is fine. With Sport Diff you can set steering to dynamic which drastically affects the feel of the car's handling, as you get feedback through the steering wheel.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I have neither ADS or SD and the car feels very attached to the road, and certainly not floaty.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine feels great at 80. Yours must be broken. See the dealer.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

mine feels great at 130.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
mine feels great at 130.
I was going to say the same thing.

I have ADS on mine and can't say that it feels floaty at all. Including the comfort setting. Now my wife used to have an ES350. You wanna talk floaty, that's the car you talk about. Wow.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only had mine into triples once in a wide open stretch of freeway (uphill mind you) to 101, was stable as could be.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

i have sd but no ads, and even on comfort there is no floating at all at any speed, my 01 s8 used to float a little , it had too much vertical travel, but not this car man, something is surely wrong, you should have the dealer take a look

Quick Reply: Car "floating" at higher speeds