S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Car with "similar" driving experience to S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car with "similar" driving experience to S4

Most days my wife takes the S4 and I take...... a 2007 honda civic. To make things even worse, the civic is automatic (and certainly not DSG).

Once we got the S4, I never knew how much of a driving appliance the civic truly was. Now I wait for the weekend to come to go to the grocery store so I can take over driving the S4. I used to have a acura integra (manual), and that was much more fun than the civic.

I've been trying to find something I can pick up used to replace my civic that will at least give me some of the S4 like driving experience. My first thought was a Subaru STI or an Evo, but those things 5 years old can still go for $20k. A dealer near me is trying to sell a 2008 Evo with 35k miles for $32k.

I'm not looking for luxury, I'm looking for something I can get for under $20k to drive into the ground as a daily commuter that will be between the automatic civic and the S4 in terms of driving experience. I think that handling is actually more important than power in this case.

For some reason I now see 5 speed manuals as unacceptable, so I'm looking for a 6 speed manual car. Mileage is somewhat important. I drove the S4 in the snow the other day (with winter tires) and was shocked at how in control I was, so I'm now intrigued by an intelligently controlled AWD option too.

A manual civic Si is just not going to cut it and a mildly used Evo is too expensive... Am I out of luck?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would say pick up the last gen GTI or R32, they are fun cars to drive. Of course not like the S4 but in their category probably the best.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by snowbeer
Most days my wife takes the S4 and I take...... a 2007 honda civic. To make things even worse, the civic is automatic (and certainly not DSG).

Once we got the S4, I never knew how much of a driving appliance the civic truly was. Now I wait for the weekend to come to go to the grocery store so I can take over driving the S4. I used to have a acura integra (manual), and that was much more fun than the civic.

I've been trying to find something I can pick up used to replace my civic that will at least give me some of the S4 like driving experience. My first thought was a Subaru STI or an Evo, but those things 5 years old can still go for $20k. A dealer near me is trying to sell a 2008 Evo with 35k miles for $32k.

I'm not looking for luxury, I'm looking for something I can get for under $20k to drive into the ground as a daily commuter that will be between the automatic civic and the S4 in terms of driving experience. I think that handling is actually more important than power in this case.

For some reason I now see 5 speed manuals as unacceptable, so I'm looking for a 6 speed manual car. Mileage is somewhat important. I drove the S4 in the snow the other day (with winter tires) and was shocked at how in control I was, so I'm now intrigued by an intelligently controlled AWD option too.

A manual civic Si is just not going to cut it and a mildly used Evo is too expensive... Am I out of luck?

its funny, once you drive a car with certain features (performance or luxury or all out Power) its tough to go back to another car.

But if you think the S4 is fun, try taking an R8 for a drive. I was on a list to test drive one and before ThanksGiving, the dealer called me. So I went in to give it a go and all I can say is wow, the car is in a totally different league than anything I have driven, with maybe the exception of a Gallardo. I was so frigin depressed after the drive. Oh well, one day I hope to have an R8
Old 12-11-2010, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

The WRX is still a fun car. It doesn't handle as tightly as the STi, but it's still miles ahead of a Civic Si.
Of course, it's a 5MT, and Subie's 5-speed is garbage.

Objectively, I'd second the recomendation for a last-gen GTi, but subjectively I can't. I drove one back to back with my 07 WRX, and while it's got all the right pieces of the puzzle, there's just something missing.

I think your best bet would be a used STi. I would avoid the Evo, as it's much less reliable than the subaru, from what I've heard. Not to mention, the interior is completely terrible on the VII-IX.

Also, if you're -really- on a budget and don't mind FWD, the Mazda 3 is a ridiculously fun little car. It's not powerful at all, but it has very tight handling and feels like a sports car, and the interior is nice too.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

+1 WRX. Takes some time to get used to the Subaru clutch but it will happen. Very fun little car! I would have saved some cash and bought an STI over the S4 if the interior was nicer and it didn't have a huge wing on it...

You could check out a G35/37. Not sure what they run used but AWD is an option (not as good as subaru or audi AWD). Good car for the money.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not give the wife the Civic and you take the S4?

My Dad and step-mom used to have a Range Rover and E55 AMG, respectively.

My Dad hates driving SUVs, and the step only really liked driving the Benz because of what the hood ornament represents.

I never understood why they didn't switch, because my Dad would have appreciated the engineering in the Benz much more than my step-gold digger (I mean, step-mom) did. I always felt bad that such an awesome and inspiring car was driven at putt-putt speeds to the mall and old lady lunches.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not AWD, but a Mini Cooper S is pretty quick, handles well, has great fuel mileage, and has a nice solid feel to it. If you can find one w/ the factory LSD, even better.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:26 AM
DOC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a lightly modded UrS4 or UrS6 which has been well taken care of. There are several on the market now (which I'd buy if I didn't recently pick up the S4). I sold my 92 UrS4 and 94 UrS4 to get the new car, and regret not having one of the older cars around. Properly modded, they're pretty quick and have decent gas mileage (24-25 mpg in my case).
Old 12-11-2010, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

S2000 is also an option. In many ways, the opposite of the S4 - rwd, loud, small, convertible - but probably the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel. Shifter is amazing, steering is awesome, VTEC, and it's worry free and won't depreciate that much which is cool.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also have an S2000...absolutely love the car, but OP lives in WI. Winter + daily driven S2k doesn't really add up.

Quick Reply: Car with "similar" driving experience to S4