S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Car with "similar" driving experience to S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option to consider is the Volvo S60R or V70R. I've seen some 05 models advertised for around $16k. I owned an 07 V70R before. It's fun to drive for the most part.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

the rx7 FC or FD will give you a similar driving experience to the s4. I'm a owner of both and owned several FCs. i LOVE rotarys and i believe theyre the best car ever made. (for the price atleast. probably cant compare supercars and the gtr) The rx7 is quick, light, responsive and has great handling. im sure you will love it.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=Excelsior7;24073941]Also, have you considered an e46 M3/ 3-series ZHP (performance package)? They've come down in price really nicely lately, and the M3 is lots of fun. Don't know how it'd do in winter conditions, but my 335i did just fine as long as I had snow tires on it.

I have an e46 330xi that I'm replacing with the B8 s4. Great car, fantastic in snow. You could probably get an 06 (e90) for low - mid $20's. 6 spds go back to 2004. With 4 snows it's the best I've had so far in snow (my 2011 S4 will be my first Quattro). Low mileage e46's seem to be in the mid-high teens. The performance package gets an additional 10hp (235), M3 had 333, but neither was available with AWD. The 335's came in 07 and would be "more money + more problems" because of the high pressure fuel pump issues.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ssaa77
S2000 is also an option. In many ways, the opposite of the S4 - rwd, loud, small, convertible - but probably the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel. Shifter is amazing, steering is awesome, VTEC, and it's worry free and won't depreciate that much which is cool.
man i had my 05 s2000 for 5 years and man was it fun. it drove like a little go-kart. i miss it here and there especially droppin the top and the RWD(rear kicks out pretty easy)but it was too damn small and unpractical.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the RX7, however, it gets **** poor mileage.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 282 Likes on 205 Posts

The Mazdaspeed 3 may be fun to drive, but the dash lights at night look like downtown Tokyo, more intense than a Christmas tree.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nhs4
Originally Posted by Excelsior7
Also, have you considered an e46 M3/ 3-series ZHP (performance package)? They've come down in price really nicely lately, and the M3 is lots of fun. Don't know how it'd do in winter conditions, but my 335i did just fine as long as I had snow tires on it.
I have an e46 330xi that I'm replacing with the B8 s4. Great car, fantastic in snow. You could probably get an 06 (e90) for low - mid $20's. 6 spds go back to 2004. With 4 snows it's the best I've had so far in snow (my 2011 S4 will be my first Quattro). Low mileage e46's seem to be in the mid-high teens. The performance package gets an additional 10hp (235), M3 had 333, but neither was available with AWD. The 335's came in 07 and would be "more money + more problems" because of the high pressure fuel pump issues.

I've only had it go out once in 40,000 miles, small price to pay in my opinion for having a face-meltingly fast car that can get 32 mpg on the highway. (I actually averaged 36-38 today, but I suspect that I was going down in elevation the whole time.)

Other than that, the difference between the 335i and the 330 is astounding, and since the 330 or the 325 e90 were only produced for one year, it's maybe not the best idea when it comes to parts, though I believe the same engines were used for the e46 generation, so that may not be a big issue.

Also, in my opinion, the e90 looks like garbage. I don't entirely like the e92, but I much prefer it to the sedan. The facelifted sedans that came out in 09 look much nicer, but being newer they will be more expensive.

Also, if you find one with Nav, the 09+ coupes (don't know if the sedans got it that year) came with 2nd gen iDrive, which is a wonderful system. the 1st gen was akin to having to type by hitting a phone keyboard with a foam bat.

As to the FD RX-7, they're legendary sports cars, but the Rotary engine, at least that generation of it, gets terrible mileage, and I don't think many of the turbo versions lasted past 90k miles, and the NA engines lacked power. Also, it's hard to find one that isn't riced out.

I still think that, for sheer "driving experience" alone, the WRX is your best bet. It's basically an S4 without all the gadgets and luxury, and it gains the ability to be repaired by a swift kick (I have reattached several body panels using my shoe.) It's of course less powerful, but also much lighter. It does have the drawback of being a 5-speed, but that never really bothered me much. It meant I could drive at varying speeds with less gear-switching, though the 5-speed is less durable than the 6 when it comes to modding, for what that's worth.

However, if you are looking for something a bit more refined, I think the VW R32 would work nicely.

(Sorry if I sound fanboyish, I just really, really loved my WRX, and really, really love my 335i. 421 lb-ft of torque from a roll in 1st gear is an intoxicating feeling.)
Old 12-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Excelsior7
There is no Auto option on either the WRX or the STI.
Last time I shopped for them was when the G35 coupe came out (2003) - I bought the G35 instead. I'm pretty sure it was offered with an auto back then but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

I haven't ridden in or driven the latest model but I've ridden in my friend's 2006 STI. Very fun/fast car.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My first choice would be the GTI. I've heard that anyone that has owned these cars really kicks themselves when they trade them in...I felt the same way after I traded my MR2 Turbo 15 years ago...wish I still had that car. I think the GTI would blow away the Civic you are driving now and keep you entertained for quite a few years. I've heard they are so much fun you might be able to get your wife to trade you for the S4 and she can drive the GTI.

I've owned a G35/G37 and to me that would also be a fantastic choice...very reliable, powerful and fun to drive, nice features, etc.

I like the A4 idea...the 2.0 is an incredible engine and the tuning possibilities are virtually endless...but that won't give you as much variety...and right now you have a chance to add a little variety to your stable of vehicles.

My goal would be to get something she really enjoys and see if you can get her to trade you...or at least split it 50/50. I'm not sure a Evo or G35/37 will accomplish that...probably not the A4 either. I think you need to go with something different and sell her on the benefits on the GTI...there are many.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree - a GTI, especially if you can pick up an R32. Nice cars and pretty quick too. They hold their value well.

Quick Reply: Car with "similar" driving experience to S4