S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Cheap rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap rims

So I bought a set of cheap winter rims for the winter. 130 dollar a piece moda rims. I was thinking the other day about why some rims are 2500 dollars a piece. Is it due to quality? Will my cheapass rims break if I push it a little too hard or something? Just curious why there is such a big difference in rim price.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

forged > cast > your rims
Old 12-25-2010, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally in life you get what you pay for. Personally I wouldn't put Chinese rims on a $60,000 car. Good luck, you may need it.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a similar question, thinking of getting some winter wheels and came across this site:

http://www.oemwheelsplus.com/

anyone have experience dealing with them or their products?
Old 12-25-2010, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by psymon_pwnz
So I bought a set of cheap winter rims for the winter. 130 dollar a piece moda rims. I was thinking the other day about why some rims are 2500 dollars a piece. Is it due to quality? Will my cheapass rims break if I push it a little too hard or something? Just curious why there is such a big difference in rim price.
I have these rims as well for my winter tires; they were included in Tirerack's suggested winter package. They've been fine so far, but given the fact that they are very inexpensive, I may purchase some new ones next year.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally have a hard time not buying cheap rims. We have a lot of potholes in my area. I believe that if you hit one the wrong way, its going to bend a cheap or expensive wheel. I know forged wheels are stronger and more expensive.I won't pay that much for rims . I'd rather have an inexpensive replica wheel so that if and when it does bend, I can replace it without paying an arm and leg. There is a Wheel Collision repair center about 20 mins from my home. They charge more to repair wheels than it costs to buy an new replica. BTW, not all replica or cheap rims are the same. I had some Movens(German made) on my 335i and they were inexpensive and pretty tough.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not too concerned about getting bent by potholes. I'm concerned about going 150 and my rims just falling apart. Or if I make a really sharp turn and the wheels comes off. haha. What do you think? Think my moda's will hold? I'm actually gonna be bbs center caps on them
Old 12-25-2010, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I personally have a hard time not buying cheap rims. We have a lot of potholes in my area. I believe that if you hit one the wrong way, its going to bend a cheap or expensive wheel. I know forged wheels are stronger and more expensive.I won't pay that much for rims . I'd rather have an inexpensive replica wheel so that if and when it does bend, I can replace it without paying an arm and leg. There is a Wheel Collision repair center about 20 mins from my home. They charge more to repair wheels than it costs to buy an new replica. BTW, not all replica or cheap rims are the same. I had some Movens(German made) on my 335i and they were inexpensive and pretty tough.

The stock 19's on my 335i are made by BBS. I have hit curbs at 40mph with those wheels several times to no detriment. They are TANKS. (I don't do it on purpose, my area has a lot of islands that suddenly jut out into the road.

Conversely, the 18" Sport Edition wheels I had on my winter tires... I hit one pothole and bent THREE.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Excelsior7
The stock 19's on my 335i are made by BBS. I have hit curbs at 40mph with those wheels several times to no detriment. They are TANKS. (I don't do it on purpose, my area has a lot of islands that suddenly jut out into the road.

Conversely, the 18" Sport Edition wheels I had on my winter tires... I hit one pothole and bent THREE.
As I said, not all replicas are the same quality
Old 12-25-2010, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuking
I have a similar question, thinking of getting some winter wheels and came across this site:

http://www.oemwheelsplus.com/

anyone have experience dealing with them or their products?
I just got a set of 18" Hartmanns for winter & they run great I may get a set of 19's this summer.http://hartmannwheels.com/audi-wheels
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Cheap rims