S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Cheap rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psymon_pwnz
So I bought a set of cheap winter rims for the winter. 130 dollar a piece moda rims. I was thinking the other day about why some rims are 2500 dollars a piece. Is it due to quality? Will my cheapass rims break if I push it a little too hard or something? Just curious why there is such a big difference in rim price.
Modas are fine. They are low-pressure cast aluminum. They're a strong wheel, and you should have nothing to worry about. My only issue with moda (and some other wheels available from tirerack) is that the wheel bore is made to be universal (fits audi, mercedes, etc.) and they supply polycarbonate/plastic hub-centric rings to center the wheel on the hub for vehicle specific application. I bought a set of moda's for winter wheels and I've found that the centering rings provided by tirerack are off by 1-1.5mm. Not a huge deal, but it results in them cracking and needing to be replaced. If the rings fit properly, they would be fine. In fact, I had to use hub-centric centering rings on my Porsche for a set of track wheels I had. They were fine and I assure you my Cayman S was driven harder on the track than any street usage of our S4s.

So relax - you have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by toddphilly
Modas are fine. They are low-pressure cast aluminum. They're a strong wheel, and you should have nothing to worry about. My only issue with moda (and some other wheels available from tirerack) is that the wheel bore is made to be universal (fits audi, mercedes, etc.) and they supply polycarbonate/plastic hub-centric rings to center the wheel on the hub for vehicle specific application. I bought a set of moda's for winter wheels and I've found that the centering rings provided by tirerack are off by 1-1.5mm. Not a huge deal, but it results in them cracking and needing to be replaced. If the rings fit properly, they would be fine. In fact, I had to use hub-centric centering rings on my Porsche for a set of track wheels I had. They were fine and I assure you my Cayman S was driven harder on the track than any street usage of our S4s.

So relax - you have nothing to worry about.
Sweet. I'm going to put BBS center hubs on them
Old 12-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would never buy any wheels made in China!

German or Japanese made wheels must get approval, Chinese and others do not.

Ther are several relatively inexpensive wheel choices made in Germany, like Borbet and Rial, the more expensive ones also weigh less, generally speaking.

I have BBS's on one car and Borbet's on another for winter use and am very pleased. I get concerened when I see wheels under some German sounding name, more often than not they are from China, at least at Tire Rack you can see where the wheels are made!

I saw someone in a AMG G-WGN the other day with some of those 22, 24 26? " blingy chinese wheels and I just shook my head. Tires and wheels are one area you should not ever sacrifice quality! Imagine 120K for a car and you put junk wheels on!

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f7/repl...ide-18663.html
Old 12-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by neunelf
I would never buy any wheels made in China!

German or Japanese made wheels must get approval, Chinese and others do not.

Ther are several relatively inexpensive wheel choices made in Germany, like Borbet and Rial, the more expensive ones also weigh less, generally speaking.

I have BBS's on one car and Borbet's on another for winter use and am very pleased. I get concerened when I see wheels under some German sounding name, more often than not they are from China, at least at Tire Rack you can see where the wheels are made!

I saw someone in a AMG G-WGN the other day with some of those 22, 24 26? " blingy chinese wheels and I just shook my head. Tires and wheels are one area you should not ever sacrifice quality! Imagine 120K for a car and you put junk wheels on!

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f7/repl...ide-18663.html
It depends where the company headquarters are. For example, lets say I opened up a rim company from here but decided to make them in China due to cheap labor and I can have them quality. It doesn't have to be up to the Chinese government to have quality approval for rims. I'm not saying Moda's are quality but just saying don't think things made in china must be terrible. All the major sneaker companies make their shoes and athletic apparel in china or indonesia.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tofuking
I have a similar question, thinking of getting some winter wheels and came across this site:

http://www.oemwheelsplus.com/

anyone have experience dealing with them or their products?
I too would be interested in feedback on this company's wheels.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

So whats the verdict on VMR wheels? I ordered a pair of V718s already and someone told me they are garbage in another thread. I know they are gravity cast aluminum but I don't know where they are made or have any experience with their quality. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ratiphi
So whats the verdict on VMR wheels? I ordered a pair of V718s already and someone told me they are garbage in another thread. I know they are gravity cast aluminum but I don't know where they are made or have any experience with their quality. Thanks.
I have had them on my 2011 since Nov. No complaints.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Buckeyedoc006
I too would be interested in feedback on this company's wheels.
For me, the bottom line is: a gravity cast wheel is not as strong as a low pressure cast wheel, who ever makes it. The metal alloy is less dense to some degree. To compensate, the basic cast wheels are designed with thicker, heavier cross-sections. The lack of shot peening makes me wonder if the surface of the cast wheel will stand up as well long term. The listed QC seems to be tests they ran to deign the wheel, at best for lot to lot testing, not on every wheel.

I can't justify the cost of forged wheels, but the sweet spot for me was the next step down in quality at the BBS, OZ etc level. Putting a few sets of $200+ tires on $300-$400 wheels seems proportional.
My two cents
Old 03-07-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
Generally in life you get what you pay for. Personally I wouldn't put Chinese rims on a $60,000 car. Good luck, you may need it.
Not neccessarily true. As long as the rims pass TUV (European certification)or the japanese equivalent then the rims should be ok. Just because the rims are made in China or Korea doesn't mean they are crap. I have had tirerack ASA rims for over 5 years now and they still look like brand new! They are actually better than my stock B5 Audi rims. They have the TUV and other ratings. I would specifically look for TUV rating because it means that the rim is made solid enough to travel on the Autobahn yet soft enough to bend and not hard enough to just break. This is a key as if you travel at a high speed and you hit a pot hole the rim will bend rather than break. TUV certification is definitely a key IMO.
Look for the certifications rather than the price I say. The only difference with price is material used and manufacturing method which lead to weight savings.

Last edited by riegerman; 03-07-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

VMR are JWL/VIA certified but not TUV I think. Any thoughts?