S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Check engine light - intake flap motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light - intake flap motors

My check engine light came on (and stayed on) last week at about 1,850 miles. I brought it in for service on Friday and their resolution was "1864 gff needed to be reset and readapted for intake flap motors". Everything checked out and seemed fine. I made it about 45 miles over the weekend and the light came back on again. I now have an appointment for Wednesday. The car seems to drive perfectly fine.

Anyone have this happen to them? Does this fault sound reasonable (I have never heard of such a thing)?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New to me, never heard anyone having this issue. I was unsure ours had these, I know the naturally aspirited RS4 engines and the like have intake flaps.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm...that sort of sounds like a serious issue. I really don't want to be pulling out into an intersection if I could experience loss of power. Could this cause damage to the engine?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Follow up: I figured I would provide a follow up in case this happens to anyone else on the forum.

After my check engine light came on a second time (see top of post for details), I brought my car back in. The dealer had my car for 7 days while the replaced a number of parts after calling Audi Corporate for tech support. Here is what my notes say on my invoice:

"First replaced solinoid for the intake air dam. Tested system and normal operation. Test drove and fault came back on. Engine vacuum normal 22hg. Took vacuum gauge and applied vacuum to flap diaphrams and let sit for 15 min. Leaked down. Did test twice with same result. Removed and installed replacement intake vacuum tube and intake runner for bank 2. Reassembled and function tested normal operation. Test drove complete."

They ended replacing a number of parts including: a hose, a B value, 6 D gaskets, a tube and an AF intake man.

All seems fine now. Any one online understand what this all really meant for my car?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by carguyrob
Follow up: I figured I would provide a follow up in case this happens to anyone else on the forum.

After my check engine light came on a second time (see top of post for details), I brought my car back in. The dealer had my car for 7 days while the replaced a number of parts after calling Audi Corporate for tech support. Here is what my notes say on my invoice:

"First replaced solinoid for the intake air dam. Tested system and normal operation. Test drove and fault came back on. Engine vacuum normal 22hg. Took vacuum gauge and applied vacuum to flap diaphrams and let sit for 15 min. Leaked down. Did test twice with same result. Removed and installed replacement intake vacuum tube and intake runner for bank 2. Reassembled and function tested normal operation. Test drove complete."

They ended replacing a number of parts including: a hose, a B value, 6 D gaskets, a tube and an AF intake man.

All seems fine now. Any one online understand what this all really meant for my car?
Sounds like there was a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake and they fixed it by replacing some hoses, valve, and gaskets.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what my 2011 did with only 362 miles on it. I posted about it,but probally did it on AZ. They only had my car for 4 hours and seemed to not be thrown off by it at all. They replaced the the second intake runner after they found it would not hold vacum. On the work order they they stated "Removed and replaced bank 2 lower intake runner. Filled and bled coolant. Cleared codes and test drove. Codes did not come back." All still seems well with 1850 miles. Although I haven't driven it much this winter.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

At least it wasn't a bad flux capacitor!