S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Chicagoland Car Wash Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicagoland Car Wash Suggestions

Do any of the Chicago members here have suggestions for a reliable car wash facility in downtown Chicago? I park in my apartment building's garage, so handwashing is not really an option for me. Also, I don't know much about regular maintenance of the exterior of the car, so any suggestions on this point would be welcome as well.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clochner
Also, I don't know much about regular maintenance of the exterior of the car, so any suggestions on this point would be welcome as well.
Do NOT go through automatic car washes unless they are touch-free unless you really want swirls. Additionally, use the two-bucket method when washing, with grit guards in your buckets, and apply detailing spray liberally when drying to displace the water and help avoid swirls. Also, keep plenty of towels around. If you drop one or it hits the ground, switch to a different towel. Use a claybar prior to polishing or waxing, even if the car is new. Also, get bugs and bird **** off as quickly as possible as it they eat through your clearcoat.

If you need product recommendations, Adam's Polishes makes some really good stuff, and any order comes with a free instructional DVD with all the information you'll need to do a quality job keeping you car clean. Meguiar's also has some great instructional videos on their website.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do any of the Chicago members here have suggestions for a reliable car wash facility in downtown Chicago? I park in my apartment building's garage, so handwashing is not really an option for me. Also, I don't know much about regular maintenance of the exterior of the car, so any suggestions on this point would be welcome as well.
I've been through a lot of car washes in Chicago. Simon's Shine Shop in Lincoln Park does a good job but they are way overpriced, you will probably hear people recommend them but there are better choices. I agree with the above poster, do NOT go through automatic car washes. You WILL get scratches. This includes the car wash at Fletcher Jones Audi. I personally witnessed two beautiful Audi's get ruined by the car wash there (one of them being mine). Those scratches that are really fine are almost impossible to remove, too.

The best car wash I have been to in Chicago is Classic Hand Car Wash on Elston. I just had two cars detailed and waxed there for $80 TOTAL and they did a great job. All hand washed. http://www.yelp.com/biz/classic-hand-car-wash-chicago

Quite honestly there are a lot of good car washes in Chicago. Always look for hand wash obviously.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ctwickman
I've been through a lot of car washes in Chicago. Simon's Shine Shop in Lincoln Park does a good job but they are way overpriced, you will probably hear people recommend them but there are better choices. I agree with the above poster, do NOT go through automatic car washes. You WILL get scratches. This includes the car wash at Fletcher Jones Audi. I personally witnessed two beautiful Audi's get ruined by the car wash there (one of them being mine). Those scratches that are really fine are almost impossible to remove, too.

The best car wash I have been to in Chicago is Classic Hand Car Wash on Elston. I just had two cars detailed and waxed there for $80 TOTAL and they did a great job. All hand washed. http://www.yelp.com/biz/classic-hand-car-wash-chicago

Quite honestly there are a lot of good car washes in Chicago. Always look for hand wash obviously.

Very helpful - many thanks.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Where in downtown are you? I live in River North and go to River North Hand Car Wash on Superior (just west of Orleans). Have been going there for over 10 years. There's another one I have not tried yet on Orleans, north of Chicago Ave.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I goto simon's...$35 for exterior/interior hand wash. They do a great job. Nice lounge while you wait.

http://www.simonsshineshop.com/
Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by koobah
Where in downtown are you? I live in River North and go to River North Hand Car Wash on Superior (just west of Orleans). Have been going there for over 10 years. There's another one I have not tried yet on Orleans, north of Chicago Ave.
I'm in the West Loop, just a few blocks south of East Bank. That's actually pretty close to me - I'll give it a try.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm in the West Loop, just a few blocks south of East Bank. That's actually pretty close to me - I'll give it a try.
There is a hand wash inside the East Bank garage. Used to use them, but since I'm not a member anymore, I don't have free access to their garage anymore.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by koobah
There is a hand wash inside the East Bank garage. Used to use them, but since I'm not a member anymore, I don't have free access to their garage anymore.
Wow - I've been a member there for more than 3 years and I didn't even know about this! Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow - I've been a member there for more than 3 years and I didn't even know about this! Thanks for the suggestions.
It's at the northeast corner of the garage... at least it was when I used to go there. It's actually run by the same company as the one on Superior.

Quick Reply: Chicagoland Car Wash Suggestions