S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

child-proofing alcantara rear seats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default child-proofing alcantara rear seats?

With my car getting close my co-workers have taken to scare the hell out of me about children and cars and all sorts of crazy things that their kids have done... this scare tactic has worked and mostly because I opted for silver alcantara - I ordered the car that I wanted and that is what I wanted - what's done is done

so those of you with kids, what have you done? I've seen custom dog blankets that may be a good idea, I'd simply need to cut holes for the belts

thoughts?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StumpJumper
With my car getting close my co-workers have taken to scare the hell out of me about children and cars and all sorts of crazy things that their kids have done... this scare tactic has worked and mostly because I opted for silver alcantara - I ordered the car that I wanted and that is what I wanted - what's done is done

so those of you with kids, what have you done? I've seen custom dog blankets that may be a good idea, I'd simply need to cut holes for the belts

thoughts?
Scotch Guard, and done. Had my toddler vomit on it, and wiped right off no problem. Just was sure to cover the leather with a cloth when spraying on so it only got on the alcantara, then left the windows down overnight in the garage to air it out and let it dry properly.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thoughts?
I child proofed my backseat simply by absolutely not allowing any food or drink in my car under any circumstances. I have a 4 and a 2 year old and at times this has been inconvenient but it has worked. My 4 year old (who can get in and out of the vehicle by herself now) knows that she needs Daddy to lift her in and out of the vehicle to avoid stepping in any "mud" that is on the floor of the car. She waits for me before she gets out of the seat. A lot of people think that I am crazy for this but it has preserved my rear floor mats to factory condition and there and my door sill plates still don't have one scuff on them...

Am I am a mean dad?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Quite the opposite. You may just be creating the one woman in the known universe who doesn't treat her car like a rolling handbag! [context: periodic cleaning of my wife's and daughter's cars!!]

Originally Posted by pharmersteve
I child proofed my backseat simply by absolutely not allowing any food or drink in my car under any circumstances. I have a 4 and a 2 year old and at times this has been inconvenient but it has worked. My 4 year old (who can get in and out of the vehicle by herself now) knows that she needs Daddy to lift her in and out of the vehicle to avoid stepping in any "mud" that is on the floor of the car. She waits for me before she gets out of the seat. A lot of people think that I am crazy for this but it has preserved my rear floor mats to factory condition and there and my door sill plates still don't have one scuff on them...

Am I am a mean dad?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

never thought of it that way...thanks now I feel better...

my next global mission for the good of mankind will be take make sure that passengers in your vehicle understand that it is NOT OK to push the door open with your foot when exiting the vehicle
Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pharmersteve

Am I am a mean dad?
Not at all, the same toddler that threw up in the back seat 2 years ago, is now 3.75 years old and loves daddy's car. Doesn't like mom's at all. Thinks it's slow, boring and dirty (inside and out) and she is right.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its pretty durable, easy to keep.

thoughts?
We don't eat/drink in the cars unless absolutely necessary here. Thats the best deterrent.

I've had an *accident* (vomit) on one of my S4s with silver nappa but like most things it cleans up with a little patience.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Get the seat cover- It's cheap ($60 I think from the Audiparts link on the homepage) and perfect if you're still in carseats/ boosters. Covers the floor too. That and a no eating policy should work. I put yoga mats between the seat cover/ seats to minimize car seat dents (Mine are still in 5 point seats). The cover does have slots for latch and the belts.
BTW- I have Nappa but I think my strategy would be the same
Old 02-21-2012, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

This seat cushion works well. I use it in the S4 under my girls' car seats. The cushioning is thick enough to protect the seats from getting dimpled by car seats. It's available in black. The lip on the bottom pad overhangs the seat bottom and keeps watter from dripping off shoes and onto the seat.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nhs4
Get the seat cover- It's cheap ($60 I think from the Audiparts link on the homepage) and perfect if you're still in carseats/ boosters. Covers the floor too. That and a no eating policy should work. I put yoga mats between the seat cover/ seats to minimize car seat dents (Mine are still in 5 point seats). The cover does have slots for latch and the belts.
BTW- I have Nappa but I think my strategy would be the same
I can't find the cover, or the link.. could you help?

no-eating is already the policy so I'm fine with that, he's only 13 months old right now so just graduated to the middle-tier seat

Quick Reply: child-proofing alcantara rear seats?