S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Chrome trim delete via Trimbrite Blackout tape

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chrome delete via Trimbrite Blackout tape

So I started my chrome trim delete using trimbrite blackout tape and only finished 1 side in 3 hours . Will probably do the other side tomorrow, but here are some pics so far.

Before:

After:

Last edited by FatalBert; 08-07-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you've done a great job!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks great. thinking of doing something similar myself. Where did you buy it? Is it hard to install or do you just wrap it around? I was thinking of the vinyl adhesive as an alternative
Old 08-06-2011, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mkato13
Looks great. thinking of doing something similar myself. Where did you buy it? Is it hard to install or do you just wrap it around? I was thinking of the vinyl adhesive as an alternative
Bought it on Amazon.
Its hard to install if you want it to look immaculate. The best look is using the least amount of pieces possible, but it gets tricky in the rear as the curves there are near impossible to get a good wrap requiring 2 or more pieces to wrap properly.

Finished the other side as well, gonna wash it tomorrow and maybe post more pics.

Last edited by FatalBert; 08-06-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is why I bought titanium package. Love the black out look!!!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

I did this on one of my cars. You can buy the material for short $$$ on eBay if you want to play around with it.

Use a search like: "vinyl sign black" (for outdoor use). Another source would be your local sign maker guy.

It can be tricky to trim and get it perfect. The stuff I used ended up being very durable. I think it was 3M, matte finish. Looked real nice.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fandawg
This is why I bought titanium package. Love the black out look!!!!!
Unfortunately I could not find a single car with the titanium package, and could not wait to have one built. I also like the 19" peelers better than the Ti wheels and figured I could black everything out myself.

I finished both sides had some tape left over and decided to black out the chrome rings around the fogs and the front spoiler as well.

Hopefully the ECS grille comes by next weekend :crosses fingers:

Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

I saw a Ti package B8 S4 in black with the blacked out grille surround and the blacked out trim...but the 19" peelers in bright silver. Looked great with the wheels and mirrors being bright, and everything else being blacked out.

Originally Posted by FatalBert
Unfortunately I could not find a single car with the titanium package, and could not wait to have one built. I also like the 19" peelers better than the Ti wheels and figured I could black everything out myself.

I finished both sides had some tape left over and decided to black out the chrome rings around the fogs and the front spoiler as well.

Hopefully the ECS grille comes by next weekend :crosses fingers:

Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
I saw a Ti package B8 S4 in black with the blacked out grille surround and the blacked out trim...but the 19" peelers in bright silver. Looked great with the wheels and mirrors being bright, and everything else being blacked out.
I will keep the wheels the way they are for now. However I will be plasti dipping the side mirrors and getting tint after installing the ECS grille.

I'm also contemplating plasti dipping the rear valence and spoiler.

After that I MAY just plasti dip the wheels but that will be a TON of black lol.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
I will keep the wheels the way they are for now. However I will be plasti dipping the side mirrors and getting tint after installing the ECS grille.

I'm also contemplating plasti dipping the rear valence and spoiler.

After that I MAY just plasti dip the wheels but that will be a TON of black lol.
Please tell me my eyes are deceiving me and you didn't say plasti dip...

You can purchase the automotive grade vinyl like the 3M that's mentioned in wider sheets.
They have 3" wide rolls but you can also find the 3M matte black in 1'-4' wide sheets. They do whole cars with the stuff.
To make something contoured look good it just takes a little extra work and a heat source to shape it.

Plus, it's completely reversible. The 3M adhesive is safe for automotive paint.

Quick Reply: Chrome trim delete via Trimbrite Blackout tape