S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra

Ok, so I have been reading this forum for just over 2 weeks and it has laready cost me over $5000 (well spent). I keep seeing clear bra mentioned on many owners signatures, so I got curious and looked it up. I have some questions for yuou guys. 1. What seems to be the best the film or the painted on type? 2. Is it best to have it done by a professional (probably). 3. Any advice on brand or type? 4. What surfaces do most people have it applied to, hood, doors, everywhere? I probably will have this done once I get some info since I already have a small chip in the paint on the hood where debris flew off a truck on these great Chicago expressways and hit my car despite some pretty fancy evasive maneuvering. Thanks in advance, all help is appreciated.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

imho:

1. 3M Ventureshield film applique.
2. Yes, Pro is best. One of those things best done by someone who does it often and well.
3. See 1.
4. I had the front third of the hood, front bumper, front third of the fenders and front of mirrors. This is the typical, although some go for full hood.

Originally Posted by urojohn
Ok, so I have been reading this forum for just over 2 weeks and it has laready cost me over $5000 (well spent). I keep seeing clear bra mentioned on many owners signatures, so I got curious and looked it up. I have some questions for yuou guys. 1. What seems to be the best the film or the painted on type? 2. Is it best to have it done by a professional (probably). 3. Any advice on brand or type? 4. What surfaces do most people have it applied to, hood, doors, everywhere? I probably will have this done once I get some info since I already have a small chip in the paint on the hood where debris flew off a truck on these great Chicago expressways and hit my car despite some pretty fancy evasive maneuvering. Thanks in advance, all help is appreciated.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default ok

About what should you expect to pay for this also approximately?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not aware of any painted on clear bra. I'd go with Avery Dennison Nano Fusion. It's perfectly clear with no orange peel texture, durable, and doesn't scratch. Only catch is they don't make a 60" film so you can't have your full hood done in this. Currently VentureShield is the only full hood option and that is not a clearcoated film. I have full fenders, 24" hood, front bumper, headlights and foglights, and rear luggage area. I'll likely be getting A-pillars, leading edge of the roof, and the area behind the rear wheels done also, in addition to having my full hood covered as soon as the Xpel 60" film is available.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Depends how much coverage you want. My coverage that I have currently ran me around $1200
Old 06-22-2011, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has anybody used Shades of Gray in Feasterville, Pa? They seem to be the only clear bra installers in my area.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My 'typical' application cost was $550 (negotiated with dealership prior to delivery; they wanted $750 initially).

Old 06-22-2011, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow, that reminds of older people who encapsulate their livingroom sofa! j/k

Originally Posted by helix139
... I'll likely be getting A-pillars, leading edge of the roof, and the area behind the rear wheels done also, in addition to having my full hood covered as soon as the Xpel 60" film is available.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
Wow, that reminds of older people who encapsulate their livingroom sofa! j/k
Let me know when someone has a living room sofa that gets blasted by gravel, rocks, and bugs at 80-150mph on a near daily basis
Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Clearshield also can be used for full hood coverage (used it on my S4)

http://solargard.com/Auto/Clearshield

I had mine done at http://www.tommyswindowtinting.com/index.html

Quick Reply: Clear Bra