S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Clutch Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Chatter

Is anyone else experiencing clutch chatter in their S4?

It was ultra-smooth until after I hit 10K miles. I'm at 14K now, and it seems to chatter upon takeoff from almost every stop. I'm going to have the dealer check it out in a couple of weeks when it's in for the 15K service.

Anyone else having similar issues? (I did search the forum, no posts!)
Old 11-08-2010, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anything like this?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24054273

or

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Manual-Owners
Old 11-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, it's not those issues. This is more of a classic clutch chattering. The engagement in 1st gear from a complete stop just isn't smooth anymore - the whole car vibrates as it takes off from a stop. If starting in 2nd gear the effect is magnified. It almost feels as though the flywheel is warped or something.

Nobody else having this issue?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

take it into the dealer for a checkout. you are under warranty.

Bruce
Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the exact same issue. Mine is sort of intermittent - some days it's terrible and others it is smooth as silk. Of course the two times i've taken it to the dealer it isn't doing it.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
take it into the dealer for a checkout. you are under warranty.

Bruce
Is the clutch coverd under warranty? Thought it might be sonmething like brake pads.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I sounds like the same issue I had on my 2010 at 20k miles. I can't link the old post but here is the text:

"Shortly after my previous scheduled service at 15K where they replaced some parts in the clutch mechanism for a clicking clutch pedal (TSB), I started to get this clutch judder when taking off from a standstill. It was fine when starting off like granny, but anything more aggressive than that would result in a judder.

Having tracked motorcycles and cars lots of times, I'm very used to rev matching during daily driving so I don't think it was me that caused the issue. I haven't launched the car (yet) and don't abuse my clutch.

Then very recently after a rain storm, I turned off the traction control to try to have some fun in a turn when the road was clear. I started a right hand turn in first gear and got the back end loose spinning 1 or more tires. I shifted into 2nd and the tach zoomed to redline. In that instant I wasn't sure if the tires were spinning or whether the clutch had slipped. 1/2 mile down the road when I got to my destination, it was obvious from the smell that the clutch had slipped. I drove back home easily and didn't notice any ill effect. The next day the clutch judder was much worse, so I decided to take it to Audi for a look.

They warned me that a clutch is a wear item and not covered under warranty. I said I understand and kept stating that the clutch judder started after I had the car in for service previously. They got permission from Audi to drop the transmission and sent pictures back to the mothership for analysis.

The SA called me the next day and said "there were 3 symmetrical hotspots on the pressure plate correlating with the clutch. This happens when the clutch is dumped at high engine rpms. The clutch is not covered under warranty for this reason. Audi is doing a 1x goodwill replacement of the clutch."

At first I figured that since they had it all apart that it wouldn't be much more money for them to replace the clutch while it all was apart. However the paperwork that I signed (the receipt I received wasn't as complete) indicated that they replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel, with retail price around the $2000 range.

They kept reiterating that the clutch is not a warranty item but decide to replace all the parts anyways? I dunno what to think, but I'm happy with the outcome. Also I'm happy to report that all trace of clutch judder is gone.

I have to wonder if they found something while they had it apart that could have caused the initial judder?"