S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Clutch Squeak Fixed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Squeak Fixed...

I know there are a few threads on this - wanted to quickly share my experience. I took my car in for a squeaky clutch pedal. The squeak would occur on the second half of the clutch pedal travel and it was worse on warm days. Generally it was more of a "vibration" that I could feel in my foot, but you could hear it sometimes as well.

The dealer attempted to just lube the clutch pedal rod, but when I picked the car up - well, it was still doing it. After apologies for not fixing it - they had a senior tech look at it - he knew the problem immediately and took the car back in.

They wound up replacing the release lever, ball pin and the throw-out bearing. Of course this resulted in having to drop the tranny. It's a known problem and there are updated parts - I think dealers try to first just lube the pedal because its waaaay easier than pulling the transimission.

I'm happy to report the problem is solved (or at least in a couple days of driving its fine). If you have this problem - i encourage you to get it fixed now - you will be much happier. I saw the full service invoice - It's about a $1400 repair if you were paying ($800 to yank the tranny and exhaust, another $600 in misc. parts IIRC).
Old 10-03-2011, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

It may come backl. As I had this done and my entire clutch replaced under warranty within the first 3k miles. It was smooth for a while than it came back a little bit. No vibration but squeek is there sometimes.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BaLLZDeePNYC
It may come backl. As I had this done and my entire clutch replaced under warranty within the first 3k miles. It was smooth for a while than it came back a little bit. No vibration but squeek is there sometimes.
I thought the vibrating clutch pedal was normal at high rpm. Is this not the case?

I am bringing the car in for 5k oil change and clutch pedal click in December. Should I mention that the clutch vibrates at high rpm? I'm hesitant to do so because I have the APR tune and don't want them to find that out by driving the car near redline...
Old 10-03-2011, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at the bright side - not only is your clutch all better now (and under warranty), but you got to drive mine on Friday with the Stage 2+ pulley for the first time ever
Old 10-03-2011, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
I know there are a few threads on this - wanted to quickly share my experience. I took my car in for a squeaky clutch pedal. The squeak would occur on the second half of the clutch pedal travel and it was worse on warm days. Generally it was more of a "vibration" that I could feel in my foot, but you could hear it sometimes as well.

The dealer attempted to just lube the clutch pedal rod, but when I picked the car up - well, it was still doing it. After apologies for not fixing it - they had a senior tech look at it - he knew the problem immediately and took the car back in.

They wound up replacing the release lever, ball pin and the throw-out bearing. Of course this resulted in having to drop the tranny. It's a known problem and there are updated parts - I think dealers try to first just lube the pedal because its waaaay easier than pulling the transimission.

I'm happy to report the problem is solved (or at least in a couple days of driving its fine). If you have this problem - i encourage you to get it fixed now - you will be much happier. I saw the full service invoice - It's about a $1400 repair if you were paying ($800 to yank the tranny and exhaust, another $600 in misc. parts IIRC).
do you have a TSB number?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure about the vibration. I heard some of us have vibration due to flywheels being out of spec from the factory and even replacements have been out of spec. One person had their flywheel respeced by clutchmasters and was fine. IMO im gonna wait for a clutch replacement and hopefully the kit comes with new TO bearings etc. I had all this changed on my car and it all came back so I cant sdeal with my car spending more time at delaership service departments. I drive it and am used to uit and nothing feels out of place.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Fatal: I never had any issues with the clutch vibrating at high RPM - this was a squeak/vibration that occurred when the pedal was pushed in. it would happen with the engine off just sitting there. Seems fixed now.

Helix: no mention of a recall or TSB in the paperwork though the Tech did comment that this was a known issue

NW: absolutely - thanks for the spin - your car pulls hard (and stops great)!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now when are you going to tune yours? We also need to do a meet and drive with your M3 buddy
Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

I have a 3 week old 2012 S4 (build date 8/11) and just last night noticed a creaky/squeaky clutch pedal with the car turned off in my garage. It sounds similar to mellow_sparky's issue and happens in the last 6" of pedal travel. It is louder if I have the door open, and didn't seem as noticeable when I got in the car this morning. The car is completely stock.

I was just curious if anyone knows (or knows where I could find) if there have been any production changes for the clutch from 2010 to 2012 model year? I have an appointment tomorrow for my first oil change (@1200 miles) and will have them take a look at the clutch as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JGS412
Hi,

I have a 3 week old 2012 S4 (build date 8/11) and just last night noticed a creaky/squeaky clutch pedal with the car turned off in my garage. It sounds similar to mellow_sparky's issue and happens in the last 6" of pedal travel. It is louder if I have the door open, and didn't seem as noticeable when I got in the car this morning. The car is completely stock.

I was just curious if anyone knows (or knows where I could find) if there have been any production changes for the clutch from 2010 to 2012 model year? I have an appointment tomorrow for my first oil change (@1200 miles) and will have them take a look at the clutch as well.

Thanks in advance.
The first oil change at 1200 miles was scheduled by you right, not part of their first oil change at 5k? I have about 1200 miles right now, but was told it was okay to wait till 5k for the first change. Is it a really bad idea?

Quick Reply: Clutch Squeak Fixed...