S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Concerned buyer during the waiting period

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerned buyer during the waiting period

Hello All,

I’m relatively new to the Audi world I’ve always enjoyed my Acrua but I needed something a little more fun for my long drives to work. I’ve got a relatively heavy foot and always felt bad abusing the poor Acura. My wife and I loved the look of the S4 and my brother in law who loves cars talked me into test driving it. Let’s just say my eye and foot fell in love.

I’m concerned as this is my daily driver and I’ve financed this car due to excessive mileage. I fell in love with the car however the constant complaints are making me feel anxious. This is the first forum I’ve been on where I feel as if I purchased a lemon before I have even taken delivery. Yes everyone has their complaints and I do agree every brand has its faults. It just seems to me from water pump failures to break issues, and problems in-between leaves me to believe this car isn’t reliable.

Now I do have a belief =) The more expensive an item is the more likely we are to complain. It’s like purchasing a vacation. Read trip tripadvisor and everyone LOVES the $900 trip for one week. The trip that costs $2,500 or more people tend to complain a little more. Maybe we are more accepting of faults or our expectations are lower.

My question is how many of you actually love your car? Would you purchase it again?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love my car... Been to service department 3x under 2k miles... Clutch issue that is not constant across the S4 line but couple of us had it. New 2011 seem to be dodging the Water pump issue. The brakes need bedding in. Besides that stuff I was worried as you are and my car will be at service next week again but I love this car. I know once this stuff is handled hopefully it will be smooth sailing.

I LOVE IT
Old 12-28-2010, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I LOVE my car, and yes, I would buy again. But I would get an '11 for the launch control! (). It's unfortunate that you are being exposed to a nasty issue that the early 2010 buyers are experiencing. With the cold weather, and getting some miles on these early '10's, we're seeing some of them pop.

if you are getting a 2011, you will be fine. They are not using the black plastic pumps on the 2011's. Do not let this scare you off. It is a wonderful car.

I agree with you generalized theory about the "more you spend," the better it should be." Yes, that's partly it, but the biggest issue is the response and replacement part availability owners are griping about, and not getting this issue resolved on a timely basis.

Rest easy- you WILL love this car.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TO407S4
My question is how many of you actually love your car? Would you purchase it again?
I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys your making me feel better =)
Old 12-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I could not even imagine having to select an alternative, at least not in this price range. I got hooked on Audi with the A4 but was dissapointed with power output which is completely resolved with this engine. Combined with the sport diff, performance is awesome in addition to all the other great aspects of this Audi.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I love my S4. Hands down best car I have ever owned. Of course I have not had a waterpump fail on me (yet!). I dealt with the coilpack issue on B6 A4 so this is no big deal.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Love it. The performance is amazing and she's my little tractor in the snow!!! (She kicked *** in the NYC blizzard). I just can't stand the break noise. Other then that the car is amazing and you wont regret your purchase.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've complained here before, but...totally love this car, 15k so far and would buy it again. In fact, if this one was stolen or totaled, I'd replace it with another B8S4 with out even thinking. It has not been a vehicle without issues that needed to be resolved (squealing brakes, H2O pump,) but my belief is that all things considered - there just isn't anything even close at this price point.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Peppe1.8T
I love my S4. Hands down best car I have ever owned. Of course I have not had a waterpump fail on me (yet!). I dealt with the coilpack issue on B6 A4 so this is no big deal.
I had my WP fail. More of a PIA IMO. Lost about 3 hrs dealing with the mess....

Bruce

Quick Reply: Concerned buyer during the waiting period