S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Coolant level varies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant level varies?

Just got my 5k service performed yesterday. When I parked it in the garage yesterday I noticed that the coolant level was a tad under the max level, didn't think much of it.

I did not drive the car since then, I just went to check the oil with the dipstick and it turns out the oil level is above the max line (isnt that bad?). After the previous oil change (at 2.5k) they left it at 3/4 to the max (pretty big difference).

I looked at the coolant level and it has now dipped down to more than half way between min and max (closer to min now).

I looked under the car and nothing is there, so it didn't leak out onto the floor.

Does the coolant level change when driving? or Should I bring it back to the dealer asap?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FatalBert
Does the coolant level change when driving? or Should I bring it back to the dealer asap?
Coolant level will always be higher on a "hot" engine.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

On a cold engine the S4's Coolant level should be between MIN & MAX
Old 12-04-2011, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Goony
Coolant level will always be higher on a "hot" engine.
Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
On a cold engine the S4's Coolant level should be between MIN & MAX
Thanks guys, I just drove around and verified that the coolant went back up to almost max.

Just checked my oil again after letting it sit for 20 minutes and its still quite over max, between the A and X for the word MAX, on the dipstick. This is bad right?

Last edited by FatalBert; 12-04-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

if your car has been run until warm, shut off and on a level spot, given 3-4 mins and checked at the dipstick, anything above MAX is very bad, will stress seals, clog EGR valves, etc.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ciscokidz
if your car has been run until warm, shut off and on a level spot, given 3-4 mins and checked at the dipstick, anything above MAX is very bad, will stress seals, clog EGR valves, etc.
I just went out to the garage and started the engine and let it run for about 2 minutes (not fully warm) but just to get the oil up. I shut the car off and checked the oil after about 4 minutes and the level was exactly at the max line. I kept checking and it didn't go back up. I think after sitting for 20-30 minutes it will go up to above max. So does that make it okay?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yup, you're good!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I just went out to the garage and started the engine and let it run for about 2 minutes (not fully warm) but just to get the oil up. I shut the car off and checked the oil after about 4 minutes and the level was exactly at the max line. I kept checking and it didn't go back up. I think after sitting for 20-30 minutes it will go up to above max. So does that make it okay?
Yes, your car is fine.

The way I was taught about check engine oil level on a wet-sump engine is:

1) Car should be leveled wit the engine should be up to running temperture. Let idle for about 5 minutes before shutting off.
2) Wait ~10 to 15 minutes then check oil level. I still perfer to use a oil stick as oppose to using the MMI. If you are using the MMI only, release and open the hood to get an accurate reading.

If you wait 30 minutes or longer to check, all the oil is drained down to the oil pan and will result in an inaccurate and higher reading on the stick.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ciscokidz
Yup, you're good!
Originally Posted by Tifosi
Yes, your car is fine.

The way I was taught about check engine oil level on a wet-sump engine is:

1) Car should be leveled wit the engine should be up to running temperture. Let idle for about 5 minutes before shutting off.
2) Wait ~10 to 15 minutes then check oil level. I still perfer to use a oil stick as oppose to using the MMI. If you are using the MMI only, release and open the hood to get an accurate reading.

If you wait 30 minutes or longer to check, all the oil is drained down to the oil pan and will result in an inaccurate and higher reading on the stick.
I've found out that the dipstick ECS sells for our car is actually not calibrated for our engines, so when the correct amount of oil is in there it will read up to the A on the word MAX of the dipstick.

The MMI will also tell you when there is too much which I didn't think it did. So that is good news!

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've found out that the dipstick ECS sells for our car is actually not calibrated for our engines, so when the correct amount of oil is in there it will read up to the A on the word MAX of the dipstick.
Don't know about ECS, but I got my directly from the dealership.

For anyone that is interested in getting one, search the forum as the PN for the dipstick has been posted in multiple threads many times.