S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Costco Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Costco Gas?

When I took delivery on my S4 in the fall, my sales person specifically told me to avoid getting the premium gas at places other than large gas stations. Examples he gave to avoid were Quick shops and Costco. I was crushed because I had big plans to get my premium gas at Costco since it is so much cheaper.

Since then, I have done some research and it kind of appears that gas is gas, and only the additives added by each company are what varies. Then I have also read some articles that companies like Costco do not really have the octanes in their gas that are posted.

Does anyone get their gas at Costco? If so, what has been your experience? Does anyone out there know where Costco gets their gas or have an opinion on this?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I run Costco gas and also ran my car on a dyno on Costco gas. Dynocharts and some datalogging showed no abnormal problems. However, California's gas is formulated differently compared to the rest of the USA due to its strict emissions regulations.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Been using costco premium gas for years. no problems at all. Just the other day, I saw a Ferrari F430 pulled into a Costco gas station.

Last edited by bbmaster; 03-22-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Costcos here in NorCal sell 87 and 91 octane at 10-15c less per gallon than your average gas station. I've driven 5k miles on it and haven't had any problems.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Costco by my area has started to advertise their gas has 5x the EPA required amount of additives. Not sure how that compares to Chevron, etc.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This used to be true many years ago, however there are so many back door deals and cross swapping of fuel by distributors, that there is a very good chance when you stop at a certain station, say Shell, it's not Shell gas you are putting it the car. Octane ratings are independently tested by the state every couple of years on site and unaccounced. So long as the station operators are conscious about keeping their filters changed, and the guys who fill their in ground tanks are good about keeping debris and water out of the tanks, as well as putting the caps back on properly there is nothing to worry about.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting thread...

I wouldn't be surprised if Costcos gas isn't supplied by one of the major gasoline manufactures.

The thing I don't understand is...

If the average savings is $0.15/gallon. Let's say you purchase 10 gallons, that means you save $1.50.

This is the part I don't get, every time I go past Costco there is a 15 - 20 minute wait. If I made $10/hr (which I don't think I could even afford an S4 for that amount), 15 minutes of hourly wage would $2.50. I don't see the benefit to the minor savings when considering missed opportunity cost.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

+1 on the cost of Costco gas... If there is no line and its convienent then fine, but I don't think its worth going out of the way.

That said, I think your dealer is full of it. I'm certain Costco gas is perfectly fine.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rkdiddy
Interesting thread...

I wouldn't be surprised if Costcos gas isn't supplied by one of the major gasoline manufactures.

The thing I don't understand is...

If the average savings is $0.15/gallon. Let's say you purchase 10 gallons, that means you save $1.50.

This is the part I don't get, every time I go past Costco there is a 15 - 20 minute wait. If I made $10/hr (which I don't think I could even afford an S4 for that amount), 15 minutes of hourly wage would $2.50. I don't see the benefit to the minor savings when considering missed opportunity cost.
agreed, never thought that it was worth $1-$2 to wait 15 minutes to fuel up.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terminal nonchalance
agreed, never thought that it was worth $1-$2 to wait 15 minutes to fuel up.
Amen - I never understood this. You pay $50-60k for a new car and are worried about saving a max of three bucks? It literally is that much.
The following users liked this post:
Rony Joseph (05-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Costco Gas?