S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

CPS Installed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron that really sucks... a bat flew into my father a few weeks back and he also had to get the rabies shots... I understand they're NOT fun... all the best through this process and it's better to be safe than sorry. Old adage, but sh*t happens.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by primetime
LOL! Nice... Yeah the game cornhole, city horseshoes, bags, etc. Pretty popular around here and we play quite a bit...
I just had a Beevis and Butthead flash back. I need more teepee...

sorry - dont mean to digress.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately, a bat got in my house the other night and in an attempt to capture it it landed on me and scratched me... I then failed to locate it so... I spent 4.5 hours in the ER yesterday begining the rabies vacination process, which prevented me from being able to hit the strip since I didn't get out of there until a little after 8pm... My brother and I tried all morning to find the bat to have it tested so I didn't have to get all the shots but since we couldn't my doctor told me I needed to get vacinated since there is no cure for rabies and it wasn't worth risking my life over... Wife and 5 month old son are going through the process starting today... Fun stuff! LOL So I apologize but will get results soon... Slight chance of rain Sat. but I am hoping to go then and it is supposed to be 85 so it should be a good test... I'll keep everyone posted...
where do you guys live? thought bats lived in caves?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xunknownx
where do you guys live? thought bats lived in caves?
Concord, OH Nah... they are pretty common just not in my house! LOL They eat on average 3,500 bugs a night so they actually have quite a bit of value... Unfortunately, some of them carry rabies and since we didn't catch him my doctor thought it best to play it safe since once you get rabies you die... I didn't argue much... LOL
Old 09-04-2011, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did a lot of data logging yesterday...

It was 85 degrees, 70% humidity, and a 29.94 BP... In other words horrible conditions... LOL

I'll start with highway driving... Drove 10 miles at 65mph w/o much throttle variation and in 7th gear... Temps stayed very consistent at 33C - 36C... This is a slight improvement over stock where I used to see 38-40C while driving and the numbers I had when I tested the weather was better but still pretty warm, so in worse conditions the car actually performed better...

Then I got off the highway and let the car idle for 2 minutes while watching the IAT's... They immediately started to rise as I expected since there was no airflow and after 2 minutes they had risen to 52C from 35C when I first stopped... For me this is an important number since you are often forced to have your car running but barely moving in the staging lanes at the strip... I try to minimize this time but it usually happens... Unfortunately, I didn't test the same process pre-install so if someone with a vagcom wants to I would appreciate it... I would assume it would rise in a simliar fashion and maybe a little more given the amount the new pump runs to circulate the coolant...

I then did a bunch of stop and go city driving with varying speeds... IAT's stayed in the mid 40C range to mid 50C range... I did get caught at a light that takes a few minutes and was even worse because off a firetruck coming through thus making me wait for two cycles of the light w/o moving... It was probably 3+ minutes of sitting and the temps got into the mid 60's but as soon as I started moving they dropped back into the 50's...

Finally, I did a few WOT blasts to try and simulate drag racing however I only went up to 70-80 since I was on the street... Temps started in the 40c range and rose to low 50c range... For a comparison when I made 4 passes at the strip on a 80 degree day the IAT's started at 60c and climbed to low 80's by then end of the pass with an average of 73.3c, however the car was much warmer to start obviously with the starting IAT's in the 60c range...

Not the best testing but those are my observation at this point... I will have a better indication of the results once I make some passes since that is where I have the most data to compare to... I do believe the system helps given the huge increase in size and surface area of the HE and the added pump that is pushing alot more coolant through the system... I can say that the temps go down much quicker when driving from a stop and go up much slower while sitting at a light...

Also, if you plan on doing this mod be advised that the pump runs alot... open the driver door pump runs 30 seconds, open the hood the pump runs for 30 seconds, etc... I like this but it is loud and I know some would probably get annoyed by this...

Let me know if there are any questions/comments...
Old 09-04-2011, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ron, could you per chance take a video of the car idling or when you open the driver door/hood and it runs.

Curious on how it sounds.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good feedback Ron, it's also good to note that the vast majority of benefit is from the FMHE and speration tank, not the loud pump.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mhs525
Great post... I have so much to learn in modding these cars...
You got much to learn??? I don't even know what i'm looking at in those pics.......
Old 09-05-2011, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK
Ron, could you per chance take a video of the car idling or when you open the driver door/hood and it runs.

Curious on how it sounds.
Sure bud... I'll try to get something today or Tuesday...

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Good feedback Ron, it's also good to note that the vast majority of benefit is from the FMHE and speration tank, not the loud pump.
Well the pump is huge and pushes the coolant pretty well from what I hear and see when opening the reservoir... So I think all the parts really make the best solution but if I were to order them based on what I think they are going to give you, I would go HE, seperator, pump...

Originally Posted by Devourer01
You got much to learn??? I don't even know what i'm looking at in those pics.......
I'll assume your not kidding? If not the radiator lookiing parts are heat exchangers, the small one is stock and the large one is the APR one... The little black container that says APR is a reservior... Finally, the big pump is a big pump... The seperator/reservoir allows you to run two coolant loops vs sharing the intercooler and motor coolant loop... Obviously, this is good because the blower coolant doesn't get as warm as the overall coolant... The HE gives you much more coolant capacity and a ton more surface area... Basically, the coolant gets cool as the air blows across the HE just like a radiator... This then goes into the intercoolers below the blower giving lower IAT's... Finally, the seperate pump allows for the system to push the coolant through the system vs sharing a pump with the total system... Hope this helps!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Finally, the seperate pump allows for the system to push the coolant through the system vs sharing a pump with the total system... Hope this helps!
The intercooler circuit already has it's own pump that's separate from the engine cooling circuit pump. The APR pump is in addition to the OEM intercooling circuit pump, so you now have two pumps pushing coolant through the intercooling circuit at a higher flow rate than just the OEM pump alone.

Quick Reply: CPS Installed...