S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Dashboard Rattle - Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dpncos
Just wanted to say THANKS for helping me solve the noise problem in my car.

The only disconcerting part is that there is no sunroof tool in my car. Do these come standard on all models? I have a 2012 Premium+.
Just checked, I don't have this tool either in my 2011??

And I have a similar buzzing sound as described in the original post
Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christo123
Just checked, I don't have this tool either in my 2011??

And I have a similar buzzing sound as described in the original post
Remove the cover and take a drive. If you don't have the rattle perhaps the noise is coming from the clips that are there to hold the tool and not the tool.

The foam strip would explain why the rattle is gone on the OP
Old 03-31-2012, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can I ask a dumb question?

How do I open the fuse panel? I tried to gently pry it open with a key but it seems to be pretty lodged in.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by KevinHee
Can I ask a dumb question?

How do I open the fuse panel? I tried to gently pry it open with a key but it seems to be pretty lodged in.
There are no dumb questions! There is a notch in the lower portion of the fuse panel cover, sized for a screwdriver or key. Simply pry the cover up at this point:

The cover is held on by 3 metal clips (in the 12, 6 and 9 o'clock positions as shown below. This pic also shows the notch at the bottom for prying off the cover:

As you can see in the pic above, my 2011 S4 has an emergency sunroof removal tool. 2012 model years may not have this tool. If you have it, it can be a source of rattles, so wrap it with cloth or electrical tape to prevent any potential for rattling. This pic also shows that the fuse panel cover has a rubber strip (illustrated in red) that should suffice as a rattle reducer. In my case, it wasn't enough to keep the panel from making a buzzing sort of rattle. I added some cloth tape to the forward edge of the panel as shown.

In the following pic, you can see that I added a small foam pad over the fuse clips, and in addition, I added some foam tape all around the panel opening and where the panel cover clips are located. My intent was to prevent any metal to plastic or plastic to plastic rattling. Since I've made these additions, I have been rattle-free.

One final observation: I determined that the rattle was coming from this area by rapping the bottom of the dash with the palm of my hand and hearing the same buzzing rattle sound I heard when hitting road bumps. While driving the car, the rattle sounded like it was coming from the tweeter area in the driver's door, near the inner rearview mirror cover (where the switch for the Audi Side Assist is located). Hope that helps!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

excellent pics and details...thx for sharing.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

@LYKUNO, best reply ever! =)

Really appreciated!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I discovered that my upper door assembly rattles from the bass of the stereo. When I lean against the door with my arm it goes away, when I let go it comes back. Not sure how much fixing can be done with that.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I tried again yesterday and failed again.

I found the notch and tried to pry it open, but the fuse cover was really "elastic" so it simply deformed and refused to open. Then I got scared that I would break it...

I guess I will go to the dealor when I get my plate...

Originally Posted by LYKUNO
There are no dumb questions! There is a notch in the lower portion of the fuse panel cover, sized for a screwdriver or key. Simply pry the cover up at this point:

Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

You wont break it. However, try this. Once you get the cover pried up with that notch, use another flathead further up to assist in taking it off. Having two using the leverage works better than one(before you get the hang of it).
Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BobbyJim
If you don't have a sunroof, then I believe the standard-issue tool is a can-opener in the glove compartment.

Quick Reply: Dashboard Rattle - Solved!