S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Dashboard Rattle - Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an update. Just picked up my car today.

Rattles
Removed drivers door panel and replaced rechecked for any noises during road tests.. No further problems experienced with new panel.

Brake concern - squealing
Replaced front rotors and pads.

Drivability concern - vibration felt in steering wheel when making U turn.
Replaced center differential from tranny, installed inreverse order and tested for operational functions.
No leaks, cleaned all surfaces.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Van
Here is an update. Just picked up my car today.

Rattles
Removed drivers door panel and replaced rechecked for any noises during road tests.. No further problems experienced with new panel.

Brake concern - squealing
Replaced front rotors and pads.

Drivability concern - vibration felt in steering wheel when making U turn.
Replaced center differential from tranny, installed inreverse order and tested for operational functions.
No leaks, cleaned all surfaces.

I've had the vibration thing while making a u-turn since the first day I got mine, 18,000 miles now. So there is a fix for it, hmmm
Old 04-19-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Christo123
I've had the vibration thing while making a u-turn since the first day I got mine, 18,000 miles now. So there is a fix for it, hmmm
Yes replaced new center differential
Old 04-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My rattle is only when im talking to someone on the bluetooth phone. Sounds like its coming from the speaker they are talking out of, right in the center of the dash. Im not even sure music comes out of that "center channel" because it doesnt buzz otherwise.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Removing the driver side door speaker cover?

Can anyone explain to me how to remove the driver's side front door speaker cover? I think my rattle is coming from there. I have already dampened the fuse box which definitely got rid of one of my rattles.

This forum is INCREDIBLE. I truly appreciate some of the previous posters taking time out to help the rest of us!!!

btw: I'm a recent convert from BMW. I got the new 2013 S4. And LOVE IT!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by WestCoastDriver
Can anyone explain to me how to remove the driver's side front door speaker cover? I think my rattle is coming from there. I have already dampened the fuse box which definitely got rid of one of my rattles.

This forum is INCREDIBLE. I truly appreciate some of the previous posters taking time out to help the rest of us!!!

btw: I'm a recent convert from BMW. I got the new 2013 S4. And LOVE IT!!!
Congratulations on your new S4! I'm not exactly sure how to remove the front door speaker cover, but I'm sure someone will chime in with in-depth instructions.

I was just looking at http://www.audienthusiasts.com - a great site that has detailed mods that you may find interesting, and which include pictures on how to disassemble/reassemble various parts of an A4/S4, as related to mods/projects. Many are related to use of the Ross Tech VAGCOM tool (http://www.ross-tech.com/). This tool connects to your car's OBD-II port to diagnose faults (e.g., check engine light), change settings (e.g., lighting options, oil temp, etc.).

For example, on the Audi Enthusiasts site's Projects page, there's a project for installing door pocket ambient controlled lights. http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Proje...rLighting.html. This project shows pictures (and tools required) to remove the door panel (should you need to go that far to find that door rattle). There may be a way to pop off just the speaker cover, but see what others recommend, as you don't want to break any plastic tabs/retainers. Here's a thread where someone was replacing all of the B&O speakers on there car - see post 63 for some pics of the door. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...amp-O-Speakers

One last thing: Your 2013 S4 should be under warranty for rattles (typically available at no cost for the 1st 6 months AFAIK, so you might want to explore that option too. Let us know if you find and fix that rattle!

Last edited by GUEST123; 09-11-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You're awesome! Thanks for the info. I think i'll take your advice and bring it into the dealer.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My rattle is officially gone. Took it to the dealer, they insulated the fuse box (which I tried unsuccessfully) and the rattle is finito. Nice and quiet!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by WestCoastDriver
My rattle is officially gone. Took it to the dealer, they insulated the fuse box (which I tried unsuccessfully) and the rattle is finito. Nice and quiet!!!
Woohoo! Enjoy the peace and quiet! Glad to hear it's resolved!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks!! Love my Audi!!

Quick Reply: Dashboard Rattle - Solved!